Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rip off tax

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Rip off tax

Post by tomscott » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:51 pm

I cant really complain about road tax as the Clubman JCW is less than 1/4 the Z4M was, although its economy isnt much better. Averaging around 9-10mpg on the commute.

It has the dreaded runflats and had two passenger front tyres in 2500 miles. First one was a bleb on the sidewall due to a pot hole and the second a great big piece of metal right in the center of the tyre. First one in 500 miles second one at 2000 miles. £400 odd quid.

I work in Trafford park where the new tram system is being built to the trafford center and there is debris everywhere. Potholes that are worse than the rural parts of Cumbria where im from where the weather is far worce. They just dont deal with anything and when they do they tarmac when its pissing down with rain and of course at night the water freezes and ruins cracks it all anyway.

Not worth having a nice car. Im waiting for an inevitable cracked rim.

Havard

Rip off tax

Post by Havard » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:15 pm

I am beginning to wonder if it is "worth" having a nice car.

Although I don't have anything else to spend my disposable income on, so we will persevere.

If I didn't have cars, it would be hookers and cocaine .
ImageImage

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Rip off tax

Post by buzyg » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:19 pm

Compared to the cost of petrol the road tax is not that much. £120 in petrol just enjoying the Zed for a few drives locally on the moors last week. :D :driving: :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Rip off tax

Post by ronk » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:25 pm

UK vehicle excise duty is expensive - but I hope HMRC don’t get a whiff of Euro prices !
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Zeld4

Rip off tax

Post by Zeld4 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:46 pm

ben g wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:37 am
Zeld4 wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:50 am
ben g wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:05 pm It's an emissions tax. It has nothing to do with filling potholes in.

It basically goes into one big pot and the government decides what it gets spent on.

It's only Road tax in that it needs to be paid if you wish to drive or store your vehicle on the road. It's not a 'pay it and we fix roads' tax. I really wish people would stop thinking of it in that way, because it begins to get boring when people constantly moan about paying road tax and then linking it with the rubbish standard of our roads.
It is a road tax, it’s just calculated on emmisioms these days. It used to be ring fenced for road expenditure but not any more. If you research the origins of this tax you will see this. So you are actullay totally wrong.
You've completely contradicted yourself. It '' USED TO '' be for road expenditure.

We're talking about the here and now, not 80 odd years ago :lol:
Ah but you said it had nothing to do with filling in holes, but VED is classed as general taxation now, and it’s general taxation that pays for the roads.
So we are both wrong and right :D

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Rip off tax

Post by Smartbear » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:44 am

tomscott wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:51 pm I cant really complain about road tax as the Clubman JCW is less than 1/4 the Z4M was, although its economy isnt much better. Averaging around 9-10mpg on the commute.

It has the dreaded runflats and had two passenger front tyres in 2500 miles. First one was a bleb on the sidewall due to a pot hole and the second a great big piece of metal right in the center of the tyre. First one in 500 miles second one at 2000 miles. £400 odd quid.

I work in Trafford park where the new tram system is being built to the trafford center and there is debris everywhere. Potholes that are worse than the rural parts of Cumbria where im from where the weather is far worce. They just dont deal with anything and when they do they tarmac when its pissing down with rain and of course at night the water freezes and ruins cracks it all anyway.

Your mini averages 9-10mpg! How far is your commute, 20metres? :oops: :cry:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

synthedup

Rip off tax

Post by synthedup » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:28 am

Smartbear wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:44 am
tomscott wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:51 pm I cant really complain about road tax as the Clubman JCW is less than 1/4 the Z4M was, although its economy isnt much better. Averaging around 9-10mpg on the commute.

Your mini averages 9-10mpg! How far is your commute, 20metres? :oops: :cry:
Rob

:rofl: I would hate to get 10mpg!

What is it running?

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Rip off tax

Post by tomscott » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:03 am

With it being the clubman its a pretty big car about 1600kg, Its just a 4 pot 2.0 turbo 230 odd hp but has 4wd and seems to hate short journeys even in green mode. Its only 3 miles there and 3 back, has an app that is always attached to the car and it maps every journey this morning said 9mpg :rofl: Technology isnt always your friend :lol:

TBH ive only done 2400 miles so im sure once its got a few miles under its belt it will improve.

Doesnt help that the last commuter was a 1.5D clio that did 90mpg and didnt care how your drove it it was always ridiculously economical apart from the economy it was truly awful.

Even so its really good fun to drive for the type of car it is, its my 5th mini and the longer wheel base and 4wd makes it feel very sure footed. Had 2 Mini Cs hatches before this and both felt like they had too much power, constant torque steer and it under-steered like mad. Really like this its a real left field choice and I havent seen another yet which I also really like. It was the GF choice and if swimbo likes it, certainly makes life easier. A 330D would have been a better choice but something about the minis that is just different to the rest of the market.

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Rip off tax

Post by RustyZ4 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:15 am

I read somewhere, quite a few Minis have Peugeot engines, not that im saying yours has :D
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Rip off tax

Post by tomscott » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:53 am

They certainly did, Peogeot/citroen and the diesels continue to be.

The last F56 3 door Cooper S was one of the first off the line in 2014, blew 2 engines in 12,000 miles, in both cases the crankshaft sheared. Had a lot of issues with it and ended up giving it back early as I just didn't feel it was reliable. Although it did have the newer BMW B48 engine replaced with the second engine swap in mid 2015.

After so many failures BMW started to produce the engines again in 2015 and this one has a higher powered variant of the BMW B48 :thumbsup:

Otherwise I wouldn't have got another one. Was a pretty tainted experience as I had 4 before and the worst issue I had was a leaky drive shaft seal which was sorted under warranty.

That being said I dont think I would like to own one out of warranty.