Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

RAF 100 years old on TV

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

RAF 100 years old on TV

Post by firebobby » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:34 pm

Just started on BBC1 with the mcgregor brothers hosting it
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

RAF 100 years old on TV

Post by Chris_D » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:41 pm

firebobby wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:34 pm Just started on BBC1 with the mcgregor brothers hosting it
Tally ho fred! : :lol:

It was my lifes ambition to become a fighter pilot after joining the ATC at school.
I got to go up in a veritable smorgasbord of aircraft including a hawk trainer, chinook and a very draughty c-130!
However, a swordfencing accident left me with permanent damage to my left eye...and the dream was over. Hey ho. :|
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

RAF 100 years old on TV

Post by buzyg » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:12 pm

Chris_D wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:41 pm
firebobby wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:34 pm Just started on BBC1 with the mcgregor brothers hosting it

It was my lifes ambition to become a fighter pilot after joining the ATC at school.
I got to go up in a veritable smorgasbord of aircraft including a hawk trainer, chinook and a very draughty c-130!
However, a swordfencing accident left me with permanent damage to my left eye...and the dream was over. Hey ho. :|
Meant to ask ages ago. If you knew Paul Kenworthy. He was at Scarri in the late 70s, better at golf and painting fences than sword fighting though. :o

I guessing you were there later than that. :wink:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

RAF 100 years old on TV

Post by Chris_D » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:47 am

buzyg wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:12 pm

Meant to ask ages ago. If you knew Paul Kenworthy. He was at Scarri in the late 70s, better at golf and painting fences than sword fighting though. :o

Yer, much later. I was there from 81 to 83 when I got myself kicked out for smoking, the last of a littany of crimes and petty misdermeanours! I hated it there and i was marked out from day one as a trouble maker for get this, waving to a lad i'd met at the entrance exam during the first class registration. Ridiculous. I henceforth made it my solemn intention to get expelled so I could join all my primary school mates at the local comp.
Dyeing the boating lake red via a surruptitious deposit of approx 2kg of potassium pmanganate at the lakes source, then setting the surrounding woodland on fire, then 'accidentally' cranking up the pottery kiln to max temp before the weekend, as well as various other and lesser nefarious acts of vandalism were to precede my final attempt at busting loose! Lol.
Resorting to such measures was the result of indifferent parents who didnt want to deal with the stigma of taking one of their sprogs out of a private school and then having to explain it to their golf/bridge club/rotary club consorts.
The school didnt want to lose revenue if it could help it which is why it was so damned difficult to get expelled.
The smoking in front of dave raynor the headmasters office window seemed to be the last straw however. I was therefore summarily expelled but not before i pulled the classic john lennon trick of pissng on his floor while he stepped out of his office to get my form tutor. - i proposed that he must have a leak in the ceiling when he returned and asked what the wet patch on his lovely pink carpet. Revenge for all of those weekly 6-of-the-best sessions :rofl:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

RAF 100 years old on TV

Post by buzyg » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:02 am

Chris_D wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:47 am
buzyg wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:12 pm
Chris_D wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:41 pm Tally ho fred! : :lol:

Yer, much later. I was there from 81 to 83 when I got myself kicked out for smoking, the last of a littany of crimes and petty misdermeanours! I hated it there and i was marked out from day one as a trouble maker for get this, waving to a lad i'd met at the entrance exam during the first class registration. Ridiculous. I henceforth made it my solemn intention to get expelled so I could join all my primary school mates at the local comp.
Dyeing the boating lake red via a surruptitious deposit of approx 2kg of potassium pmanganate at the lakes source, then setting the surrounding woodland on fire, then 'accidentally' cranking up the pottery kiln to max temp before the weekend, as well as various other and lesser nefarious acts of vandalism were to precede my final attempt at busting loose! Lol.
Resorting to such measures was the result of indifferent parents who didnt want to deal with the stigma of taking one of their sprogs out of a private school and then having to explain it to their golf/bridge club/rotary club consorts.
The school didnt want to lose revenue if it could help it which is why it was so damned difficult to get expelled.
The smoking in front of dave raynor the headmasters office window seemed to be the last straw however. I was therefore summarily expelled but not before i pulled the classic john lennon trick of pissng on his floor while he stepped out of his office to get my form tutor. - i proposed that he must have a leak in the ceiling when he returned and asked what the wet patch on his lovely pink carpet. Revenge for all of those weekly 6-of-the-best sessions :rofl:
:lol: Nice one la :thumbsup:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

RAF 100 years old on TV

Post by Chris_D » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:23 pm

buzyg wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:02 am
Chris_D wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:47 am
buzyg wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:12 pm Meant to ask ages ago. If you knew Paul Kenworthy. He was at Scarri in the late 70s, better at golf and painting fences than sword fighting though. :o

You went to Manor didnt you buzylar?
Remember loads of fights with the manor lads and to a lesser extent the chezzy lads. Merchant Taylors lot? Forget it, they would leg it home to mummy in tears at the merest whiff of violence :lol:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

RAF 100 years old on TV

Post by buzyg » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Chris_D wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:23 pm
buzyg wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:02 am
Chris_D wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:47 am Yer, much later. I was there from 81 to 83 when I got myself kicked out for smoking, the last of a littany of crimes and petty misdermeanours! I hated it there and i was marked out from day one as a trouble maker for get this, waving to a lad i'd met at the entrance exam during the first class registration. Ridiculous. I henceforth made it my solemn intention to get expelled so I could join all my primary school mates at the local comp.
You went to Manor didnt you buzylar?
Remember loads of fights with the manor lads and to a lesser extent the chezzy lads. Merchant Taylors lot? Forget it, they would leg it home to mummy in tears at the merest whiff of violence :lol:
Yes, Manor for me. Where Paul ended up my mate, after he too was expelled from Scarri. :lol: Hence my question on whether you knew him.

sad_old_man

RAF 100 years old on TV

Post by sad_old_man » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:41 pm

Draughty C130? don't sit in the back then? sit up front. If you want draughty try a Varsity?

GBZ4

RAF 100 years old on TV

Post by GBZ4 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:34 am

sad_old_man wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:41 pm

Draughty C130? don't sit in the back then? sit up front. If you want draughty try a Varsity?
Varsity! Now you really are giving your age away. :wink:
2016 E89 18i Roadster - gone and forgotten

sad_old_man

RAF 100 years old on TV

Post by sad_old_man » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:00 pm

GBZ4 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:34 am
sad_old_man wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:41 pm
Chris_D wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:41 pm Tally ho fred! : :lol:

Yep but it gives me the ability to appreciate how you young ones view cars and how drivers can now spend more time driving their cars and less time fixing them. I love my Z4?

GBZ4

RAF 100 years old on TV

Post by GBZ4 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:21 pm

sad_old_man wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:00 pm
GBZ4 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:34 am
sad_old_man wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:41 pm Draughty C130? don't sit in the back then? sit up front. If you want draughty try a Varsity?
Yep but it gives me the ability to appreciate how you young ones view cars and how drivers can now spend more time driving their cars and less time fixing them. I love my Z4?
Me, young! You must be confusing me with someone else :cpilot:

sad_old_man

RAF 100 years old on TV

Post by sad_old_man » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:32 pm

GBZ4 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:21 pm
sad_old_man wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:00 pm
GBZ4 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:34 am Varsity! Now you really are giving your age away. :wink:
No I don't think so........I have you down as a youngster! Based on your surprise at the Varsity but the fact that you actually know what one is I would say about mid to late fifties..............

Yes my guess was correct......... what did I win eh what did I win? :rofl:

GBZ4

RAF 100 years old on TV

Post by GBZ4 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:43 pm

sad_old_man wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:32 pm
GBZ4 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:21 pm
sad_old_man wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:00 pm Yep but it gives me the ability to appreciate how you young ones view cars and how drivers can now spend more time driving their cars and less time fixing them. I love my Z4?
No I don't think so........I have you down as a youngster! Based on your surprise at the Varsity but the fact that you actually know what one is I would say about mid to late fifties..............

I’m flattered but if only it were true. Had my first flight in the Varsity in 1968 :oldman:

sad_old_man

RAF 100 years old on TV

Post by sad_old_man » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:30 pm

GBZ4 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:43 pm
sad_old_man wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:32 pm
GBZ4 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:21 pm Me, young! You must be confusing me with someone else :cpilot:

I’m flattered but if only it were true. Had my first flight in the Varsity in 1968 :oldman:
?

RAF Finningly, ah that brings back memories? :thumbsup: