Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Looking for a commuter car advice on BMW options

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
JimsZ

Post by JimsZ » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:05 am

Basically I may be moving soon and will start an 80 mile a day commute, I dont want to put all those miles on the Z4 (only got 33.5K on at the moment) so I see I have two options:
  • Keep the Z4 and buy a 320D, touring etc. max buudget 10Kish
  • Sell or trade in the Z4 and get a 320D, touring etc. max budget 20K
I anticipate I will be doing around 20K miles per year and dont want to sit in an old mule (Got to be comfy :P ) and ive sort of narrowed down to the 320D range, need more seats...

My concerns are with a lower valye hack 10K il risk getting a bit of a mule (My friend has an lder 320 and the timing chains gone, the turbos blown and the timing chain has even jumped apparently and bent the valves so is this an engine variant to avoid like the plague?)

I have seen some decent ish looking 320D saloons, I have also seen some decent 320D, 330D and 335D Touring options.

Just after some advice from any owners of the variants on best and worst to expect and any variants to avoid.

Seen some cracking 330D, 335D touring options but the ones I like mean I would have to lose the Z4... :cry:

In the mean time i may just commute for the summer in the mighty Z4 and make the most of one last summer then accept the inevitable and go down to one car.

Any one else been through this dilema?
E89/28i Msport gone :( .. Zx10r track bike gone… time for a KTM 350 exc-f and some green laning and dirt bike excursions…. Let’s see how this goes… : :evil:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:48 am

Not the same dilemma, but I provide taxi services to an elderly parent so Z4 only was never an option!

I had a 325ti Compact as a daily until last month when I replaced it with an E91 325i SE that cost me less than a third of your lower budget (mind you it is a bit leggy). :)

But it's a great place to spend some time when I'm on the M3, M25, A3 commute to my Mum's place, and it's showing 35.7 mpg on the OBC now! Sparkling Graphite with Lemon leather, and it even has heated seats - lovely! If I want a back road blast that's a job for the Z4, and I like the contrast between the two.

I read loads of horror stories about BMW N47 engines and cam-chains years ago which was one of the main reasons I sold my 123d at 81K miles in 2014 while it still worked and bought a Z4C - obvious alternative really! :) Just google BMW N47 cam-chain for some insights - it isn't happy reading. :(

I wondered about a diesel myself, but my local BMW Indy recommended 6 cylinders, and ideally petrol - which is why I bought the 325ti which I was very pleased with, and with that advice ringing in my ears the 325i Touring happened and is looking promising so far! But he also said that in a diesel E9* model he reckoned the N57 engine was a better bet than the M57 early ones had.

But I realise an 80 mile commute makes a diesel look really appealing, for the economy if nothing else (OBC on my 123d was showing 48.7mpg when I sold it).

If you love your Z4 and will get the chance to use it properly now and again I'd be tempted to keep it and get a 325d or 330d with the N57 engine to go with it.

But if you decide you won't really get to use your Z4 so you might as well just have one car I'd probably look for a low mileage 335i or 330i - that way at least you can some fun when you get the chance!

Good luck whatever you decide - and sorry to be the "bringer of bad news" on the 320d option.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

JimsZ

Post by JimsZ » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:35 am

Thanks for the detailed response, exactly what I was after hearing.

So basically avoid a 320d in any 4 cylinder variant and go for a 6 cylinder if I am to stick with the BMW option.
E89/28i Msport gone :( .. Zx10r track bike gone… time for a KTM 350 exc-f and some green laning and dirt bike excursions…. Let’s see how this goes… : :evil:

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:35 am

I've got a z4 for trackdays, but my daily is a 2006 E90 330d saloon auto. great car, remapped to 280bhp, with lots of torque. plus, its a lovely place to sit, quiet, comfortable. could happily do 400 miles on the cruise control and step out fresh as a daisy. my 40 mile daily commute sees me average 36mpg - which sounds bad - but the 335i before it managed 27mpg. an 80 mile commute should see you in the 40s no problem.

for a commuter, I'd definitely get an auto - nothing worse than being stuck in stop start traffic with a manual. And its just so easy... stick it in D and away you go. And I'd definitely go for a second car - personally I'd spend way less than £10k - about half that would get you a perfectly serviceable 325d, with leather and cruise, and it'll keep going forever with regular maintenance.

For true waftability get 17" wheels or even 16s... I was seduced by the msport 18s, but id I was buying again I'd probably go 17s. oh and obviously ditch any runflats!

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:28 am

For 80 miles a day it has to be a E90 330d + a remap after a few months if you want an even bigger torque grin. There should be loads to choose from for your 10k budget, and I wouldn't be too concerned about the mileage - they wear it well. Auto is a good call if you tend to hit a lot of heavy traffic. They usually come stacked with toys too.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

A1GSS

Post by A1GSS » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:43 am

I had a 330D for 4 years, it was fabulous to drive, fast and economical, but the interior was disappointingly fragile. But 10k should buy you a good one.
Graham.

2011 Z4 23i sDrive Space Grey / Coral Red

Tyreman

Post by Tyreman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:12 pm

I had three different E61 diesel estates being a 520d, 525d & 530d.........first of all these were all high mileage but proved to be mostly reliable over a five year period. The two bits of advice that I would offer is firstly don't go for the four cylinder because the six is better in every single way and there is very little difference in economy in real terms.

Secondly if I was you I would be looking to spend no more than £10K and keep the Z4.........if you put £20K into a newish one and start to put lots of miles on it you will find it a very quick way to lose a lot of money in depreciation :thumbsup:

Capa

Post by Capa » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:13 pm

330d - something along those lines. Maybe consider a 730d for true waftability..

No way in hell i'd be spending anything like ten grand on one.
E86 | Stratus Grey

Tyreman

Post by Tyreman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:25 pm

Could you manage with a 1 Series ?................just a thought :?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:15 pm

Tyreman wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:25 pm Could you manage with a 1 Series ?................just a thought
Hmm - the trouble with that alternative is the only diesels are the 4-cylinder ones. :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:19 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:15 pm
Tyreman wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:25 pm Could you manage with a 1 Series ?................just a thought
Hmm - the trouble with that alternative is the only diesels are the 4-cylinder ones. :(
Had my 118d msport 2011 since new 110k trouble free miles on it.

Tyreman

Post by Tyreman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:19 pm

I would have a four cylinder one series, they go well and are very economical....................I just think that in a larger body shell the advantage of the smaller engine is lost :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:48 pm

I know the 4 cylinder diesels drive well and many have done high mileages with no issues, but quite a few have had spectacular failures - see here:- http://www.candcsolicitors.co.uk/blog/b ... ?ottq=2149

Or just Google N47 camchain failures for plenty of info.

BMW only introduced the N47 in the 1 Series at the March 2007 facelift, and I bought my 123d in January 2008 so none had encountered a problem at that time.

Mine got to 81K miles with no issue, but the more I saw the more I felt like I was playing Russian Roulette and after 6 and a half years I fancied a change anyway.

Now that these failures are common knowledge they are a risk I wouldn't want to buy into, but I'm fairly risk averse! :)
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:51 pm

brillomaster wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:35 am For true waftability get 17" wheels or even 16s... I was seduced by the msport 18s, but id I was buying again I'd probably go 17s. oh and obviously ditch any runflats!
I'd agree with that - my E91 325i is an SE and is on 16s. Even though they are run-flats it's very relaxing, and a great contrast to my Z4. :)
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:49 pm

I took a 120I out the other day, I was quite impressed with it nice 170 bhp motor. Reckon it could have made a fine daily and I was close to buying it. But in the end I bought yet another Mazda. :D
Last edited by buzyg on Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.