Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Selling privately and car tax

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 pm

AFAIK a change of ownership cancels a SORN and a car can be re-taxed immediately.

Mike

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:41 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 pm AFAIK a change of ownership cancels a SORN and a car can be re-taxed immediately.

Mike
Yea but its the actual dates , to avoid both parties paying tax twice for the same month on one vehicle then the current owner would need to SORN before month end to avoid liability for following month , date of transaction should be the 1st of following month then new owner can simply tax with the green slip , if new owner buys day before month end then SORNs he won't be able to tax for 7 days after :wink: its just a complete rip off & blatant con that really gripes me :evil: yes i know its only £26 a month generally but its the principal of being fleeced i can't get over
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:00 pm

mr wilks wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:41 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 pm AFAIK a change of ownership cancels a SORN and a car can be re-taxed immediately.

Mike
Yea but its the actual dates , to avoid both parties paying tax twice for the same month on one vehicle then the current owner would need to SORN before month end to avoid liability for following month , date of transaction should be the 1st of following month then new owner can simply tax with the green slip , if new owner buys day before month end then SORNs he won't be able to tax for 7 days after :wink: its just a complete rip off & blatant con that really gripes me :evil: yes i know its only £26 a month generally but its the principal of being fleeced i can't get over
What’s the 7 day thing all about? I can’t see any reason for it :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:12 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:00 pm

Mike
Rob
Me neither but if you SORN online tonight you wouldn't be able to then re-tax online for 5 working days though you can at a PO that offers the facility .
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:19 am

mr wilks wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:12 pm
Smartbear wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:00 pm

Rob
Me neither but if you SORN online tonight you wouldn't be able to then re-tax online for 5 working days though you can at a PO that offers the facility .
So you can um sorn it. They just make it a PITA to put you off. Love the tax man. NOT :thumbsdown:

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:36 am

My understanding is you tell them you no longer own it say on the 29th or even the 30th or 31st you'll not be liable for the next months tax and get a refund for this and the rest of the year. If your paying by DD cancelling on the 29th will be too late to stop the payment going out of your bank in most cases (even if you canx the instruction) but you will eventually get a refund.
However the taxing by the new owner is all on them and doesnt have to be seemless. For example and hypothetically speaking, when the new owner bought the car off you they trailered it away. They can then on the 1st tax the car from that date and the only question they will be asked is has the car been used untaxed on a public road. Obviously the answer is no and that's it.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:28 am

Smartbear wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:09 pm If you do that I think your friend will end up paying for the whole month even if it’s only a couple of days away from the end.
How would you get the car to your friends after you sorn it?
Rob
Anyway you like so long as you don't pass any ANPR cameras! :lol:

Back in 2014 I bought my 325ti on 29 November - so my mate who has trade plates drove it home for me to an allocated space and I left it there until I taxed it on 1 December! It was easier than loading it onto his transporter. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:02 pm

I have agreed to drive the car to his, park it on the drive and change ownership that day so I am "clear" for the April tax. He will wait until April 1 to tax the car again then. Can't see an easy way of doing it any other way really.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:01 pm

pvr wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:02 pm I have agreed to drive the car to his, park it on the drive and change ownership that day so I am "clear" for the April tax. He will wait until April 1 to tax the car again then. Can't see an easy way of doing it any other way really.
That sounds foolproof, it’s a shame they cause so much jumping through hoops due to the awkwardness of their rules! :x
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:38 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:01 pm
pvr wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:02 pm I have agreed to drive the car to his, park it on the drive and change ownership that day so I am "clear" for the April tax. He will wait until April 1 to tax the car again then. Can't see an easy way of doing it any other way really.
That sounds foolproof, it’s a shame they cause so much jumping through hoops due to the awkwardness of their rules! :x
Rob
But they'll get you every time you PX with a dealer :thumbsdown: