Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New rules/law for MOT in May.

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Anmarube

Post by Anmarube » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:58 pm

What happens with modified silencers etc? Re-welded DPF and silencers,are they an automatic failure?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:00 pm

Anmarube wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:58 pm What happens with modified silencers etc? Re-welded DPF and silencers,are they an automatic failure?
DPF will never be an issue for Z4s! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Anmarube

Post by Anmarube » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:02 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:00 pm
Anmarube wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:58 pm What happens with modified silencers etc? Re-welded DPF and silencers,are they an automatic failure?
DPF will never be an issue for Z4s! :lol:
Yeah obviously but a lot own diesels.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:08 pm

DPF removal is a fail, as is any removal of emissions control equipment. I also seem to recall reading that any visible smoke from a DPF equipped vehicle is also a fail, probably to catch those that have removed the internals.

A welded up silencer shouldn't be a problem, as it could have theoretically been repaired, and as long as it's not leaking should pass.

http://garagewire.co.uk/news/mot-dpf-changes-now-expected-in-may-2018-dvsa-confirms/

Interestingly that pages says;

"While it is illegal for drivers to use a car with the DPF removed, it is not illegal for garages to take them out."

Mike

Anmarube

Post by Anmarube » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:14 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:08 pm DPF removal is a fail, as is any removal of emissions control equipment. I also seem to recall reading that any visible smoke from a DPF equipped vehicle is also a fail, probably to catch those that have removed the internals.

A welded up silencer shouldn't be a problem, as it could have theoretically been repaired, and as long as it's not leaking should pass.

Mike
Cheers Mike. Have seen a few for sale and wondered what it was all about come May if it was deemed modified or putting out too much Emissions due to lack of material in the silencer. Although I suppose this is only to quieten the silencer and won't affect emissions.

Cheers.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:14 pm

Anmarube wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:02 pm Yeah obviously but a lot own diesels.
Yes, fair enough - I had diseasels for nearly 10 years but bailed out of my 123d in 2014 because of the BMW N47 engine cam-chain issues, not concerns over the dpf!

I've only had N/A straight 6 petrol engines since then.

My main concern with the new regs. is that from what I can make out an EML will be a fail - even if it is only an amber one. :o

I think I need to buy a code reader that can also clear codes! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Anmarube

Post by Anmarube » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:17 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:14 pm
Anmarube wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:02 pm Yeah obviously but a lot own diesels.
Yes, fair enough - I had diseasels for nearly 10 years but bailed out of my 123d in 2014 because of the BMW N47 engine cam-chain issues, not concerns over the dpf!

I've only had N/A straight 6 petrol engines since then.

My main concern with the new regs. is that from what I can make out an EML will be a fail - even if it is only an amber one. :o

I think I need to buy a code reader that can also clear codes! :lol:
Yeah that too. Our BMWs throw them up weekly and go off again at will.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:19 pm

Anmarube wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:17 pm Yeah that too. Our BMWs throw them up weekly and go off again at will.
It's not just me then!

But why is an amber a fail - makes sense for a red, but amber is surely only advisory? :headbang:
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Anmarube

Post by Anmarube » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:22 pm

Maybe they will treat an amber as a Minor. Not read all the new rules yet. I'm not a tester by the way.
Think older diesels are pretty much done for come May.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:24 am

Mot reg 8.2.2.1
Paraphrased - DPF removed, cup open or welded is a reject unless proof of legitimate reason such as cleaning

Of course one of the few things a Z can fail on :)
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:27 am

Anmarube wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:22 pm Maybe they will treat an amber as a Minor. Not read all the new rules yet. I'm not a tester by the way.
Think older diesels are pretty much done for come May.
Amber is a "major fault" so it's a fail..

Found the bit about diesel smoke;

2018-03-08_09-24-27.jpg
2018-03-08_09-24-27.jpg (249.32 KiB) Viewed 748 times
2018-03-08_09-25-46.jpg
2018-03-08_09-25-46.jpg (290.57 KiB) Viewed 748 times

Reading through the manual, a brake pad warning light is also a fail, as is any ABS or engine management warning light.

Mike

piotrZ4

Post by piotrZ4 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:29 am

new rules ,same old mot testers that happy to bend the rules for extra £20 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:30 am

cj10jeeper wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:24 am Mot reg 8.2.2.1
Paraphrased - DPF removed, cup open or welded is a reject unless proof of legitimate reason such as cleaning

You mean Not fail on lol..

Also, they've covered their @rses by saying ANY visible smoke from a DPF equipped vehicle is a fail.. Can see a lot failing on that one, especially cars where the regen doesn't get carried out due to short journeys! Once the filter reaches it's soot capacity, it either clogs, or lets everything through.. Glad my van is Pre-DPF, just.

Mike

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:33 am

piotrZ4 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:29 am new rules ,same old mot testers that happy to bend the rules for extra £20 :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's getting a lot harder for them to do, especially with emissions etc, as the DSM/Gas analysers are being linked directly to the MOT PC's so there can be less scope for "influence" on the part of the tester. I know of one guy that got caught in Liverpool last year, was doing an MOT "for a friend" and the car wasn't even at the test centre. However It had been involved in some sort of incident several miles away at the time it was "logged on" to the MOT system for it's test to be done. This came to light after some digging by the plod..

Mike

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:52 am

Ducklakeview wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:30 am
cj10jeeper wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:24 am Mot reg 8.2.2.1

You mean Not fail on lol..

Also, they've covered their @rses by saying ANY visible smoke from a DPF equipped vehicle is a fail.. Can see a lot failing on that one, especially cars where the regen doesn't get carried out due to short journeys! Once the filter reaches it's soot capacity, it either clogs, or lets everything through.. Glad my van is Pre-DPF, just.

Mike
Yes of course - typo. Distracted by breakfast on train arriving :)
There are many more ways they can catch such changes or mods, but visible is enough or emission enough

In your second post the test can be conducted without internet connection. Use is monitored though. My friends garage lost all internet for days so he reverted to manual systems.
The odd car can still get through if a station wants to, but the risks are high for them. IMHO it’s more these days for traders using a regular test centre that passes work, borderline fails will pass or become advisory
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills