Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

FSH rant....!!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

FSH rant....!!

Post by john-e89 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:54 pm

Ok, I’m being petty but the bloody stealers strike again.

When I bought the 35is new I knew I’d have to toe the dealer line for 3yrs whilst in warranty, ok fine. Took it for its first service last autumn @ 7624 miles. Today I had a bit of a wipe over under the bonnet and thought I’ll just check they’ve changed the air filter expecting it to be the original and hey presto, it’s the original filter, to which BMW Chesterfield relieved me of £37.42 for doing precisely nothing. Its just clocked 7700 miles as I don’t use it over winter so after 80 miles the air filter should look sparkly new, plus I’m no stranger to engines etc and I know what a used filter looks like. Look at the pic, the tell tale signs of the darker area that has the most air pulled through it, It’s not particularly dirty but I’ve been charged for it, it’s in the service sheet for changing to keep the warranty and it’s not been changed. I wouldn’t be surprised if the oil filter is the original too. I’ll be changing these and the oil myself so I know they’ve at least been done. Not much point going to them as I’ll spend the day arguing the toss with them as they stand there arms folded saying “I can assure you sir the service items have been changed”. Plus I’m down one block on the oil level gauge, after 80 miles, they’re just complete idiots that don’t do a good job then charge £251.70 for the privilege.

This, boys and girls, is what a full service and ‘health check’ means from the stealers. Precisely f**k all, and the exact reason I hate them and don’t trust a damn word they spout. :x

Rant over...... :roll:
Attachments
1440BA9E-82F3-484C-8AAA-121DC38EAD01.jpeg
1440BA9E-82F3-484C-8AAA-121DC38EAD01.jpeg (293.88 KiB) Viewed 967 times
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

FSH rant....!!

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:59 pm

Shocking - I'd be kicking off and demanding a refund!

One of the reasons I always offer the old parts back to a customer, then they know the've been changed...

Mike

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

FSH rant....!!

Post by mmm-five » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:06 pm

It's why all my M cars had interim services - and why I'd always pay the absolute lowest price for a dealer service - as I knew I'd be doing it again myself.

I even documented on here a period where I UV-marked service parts that were already on the car. I found them re-using the air filter, micro-filter, rocker gasket (or not taking it off at all - and probably not doing the clearances), charging for screenwash (when it was already full), claiming it needed discs/pads/tyres when they were almost new, etc.

BTW, you don't have to take it to BMW to maintain the new car warranty (just a VAT registered garage that uses OE/genuine parts and carries out the service to the same standard), but it may affect any 'goodwill' maintenance/repairs.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

FSH rant....!!

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:10 pm

How hard do you want to push it?

If you want to make a point I'd suggest writing to the dealer and if they give you any crap go down small claims route for refund of air filter and book time to change it at a minimum.

You could report to the police as fraud as well.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

maxman

FSH rant....!!

Post by maxman » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:17 pm

Sorry,i could not let them get away with that,as you say ,you have no confidence the rest of the work has been done.I would start off with a full refund so that you could take it elsewhere for the work to be done correctly. :headbang:

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

FSH rant....!!

Post by Grumpyowl » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:22 pm

You can't trust main dealers John regardless of Brand , I've run DD company lease cars for over 33years you just know they do the bare minimum and rob the lease company.
As per DLV insist on all old parts returned.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

FSH rant....!!

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:36 pm

Grumpyowl wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:22 pm You can't trust main dealers John regardless of Brand , I've run DD company lease cars for over 33years you just know they do the bare minimum and rob the lease company.
As per DLV insist on all old parts returned.
The bonus is also, less rubbish for me to get rid of!!!

That unfortunately doesn't apply to jamie_z4 who seems to be taking up more and more space in my garage with driveshafts, wishbones and exhaust boxes :)

Mike

Silverzedtom

FSH rant....!!

Post by Silverzedtom » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:55 pm

Nothing above p1ss poor, it doesn’t surprise me though.

And to think people look for dealer stamps when they buy used :headbang:
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

FSH rant....!!

Post by GAZA62 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:21 pm

Sorry to here this John its a disgrace the way the stealers treat customers and charge big bucks for it :thumbsdown:

I am lucky the fella that looks after my Z and previous/family cars works for a BMW main agent he used to do private jobs at work but BMW decided that was to stop so now sorts my car on the drive he recently did an inspection 2 on my drive spent around 4 hours on the car removing engine covers checking the plugs the condition of the ignition coils the fuel rail ect ect changed fluids filters basically the works but said that other techs at BMW would not bother with a lot of this plus they have a set time for each service and get grief if not keeping to that time scale.
Last edited by GAZA62 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

FSH rant....!!

Post by mr wilks » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:29 pm

:D more air & gas John :P i'm sure there are reasonable main dealers but after being flushed out by every main agent ive ever dealt with (MB Audi VW & Bmw ) i simply don't trust any of them .
OK i get no coffee , mags or pastries but i do know the guy i pay is the guy who does the work & above all else i trust him implicitly :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

srhutch

FSH rant....!!

Post by srhutch » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:07 pm

Are you sure they charged you for an air filter and not a cabin micro filter?

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

FSH rant....!!

Post by john-e89 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:21 pm

srhutch wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:07 pm Are you sure they charged you for an air filter and not a cabin micro filter?
Micro filter was £16.67 Steve.

It’s a first world problem but these service items take minutes to change including the oil, if they indeed did change that, and £250 is more than enough to pay. The irony is if I traded it in they want a full BMW service history.... now that’s funny.... :lol:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

srhutch

FSH rant....!!

Post by srhutch » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:55 pm

They are utter b@stards then.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

FSH rant....!!

Post by john-e89 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:19 pm

Actually I’m going to take the car back to them, ask to see an air filter, which will be cleaner than this one, then let rip, also how has it dropped a block on the oil level in 80 miles. I’ll also demand to see the oil filter in situ on the ramp if it’s dirty after I’ve seen it in my garage.

Bollocks to them, why should they get away with it, robbing shitehawks... :x
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

FSH rant....!!

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:41 pm

john-e89 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:21 pm It’s a first world problem
Perhaps, but if the work hadn't been carried out, it's fraud plain and simple.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.