Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anyone a structural engineer for home renovations?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Theog

Post by Theog » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Afternoon all,

I moved into a house which has rather odd sizes / formats of rooms. To give you an idea, have a look at this very rough floor plan - https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mgwv5f6yjgbv ... s.jpg?dl=0

I'm thinking about installing underfloor heating this summer so that will mean taking up a whole load of floorboards etc and I'm thinking whilst I'm at it I may as well try and figure out what to do with the bathrooms. At the moment due to the odd sizes, it makes bathroom 2 and 3 a little impossible to do.

As a result I'm thinking of making bathroom 2 and 3 into one big room, therefore having a nice bath / shower room which is also heated well.

The walls in between bathrooms 2 and 3 are old lath and plaster walls with some timbers going to the ceiling (2 by 4 guesstimating). Above it is a loft.

I'm just wondering if there is anyone who can shed some light as to whether I can remove the walls or not. Or if I need a survey or the likes of to help out. I'm still quite new to the home ownership / DIY side of things, so I maybe missing the picture. That being said the vast majority of the walls in the house are solid brick, so they must be the only ones which aren't brick. The rooms below don't share the same layout other than the solid walls on the outer edges.

What would happen if I were just to remove it without anyone knowing? I have a builder friend that can advise, but he's no structural engineer. Just wondering.

FYI I'm based in Kent.

Best

T

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:10 pm

Look in the loft space above and see how the joists run, if they are sitting on/across it or more importantly end over this wall, it could mean they are being supported by it. If the joists run parallel with the wall, it's more than likely not a load bearing wall. A good builder should be able to check this out for you.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Pastry

Post by Pastry » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:27 pm

If you need a structural engineer I know SiZeddin is one and lives in Kent :thumbsup:
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i

Theog

Post by Theog » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:41 pm

firebobby wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:10 pm Look in the loft space above and see how the joists run, if they are sitting on/across it or more importantly end over this wall, it could mean they are being supported by it. If the joists run parallel with the wall, it's more than likely not a load bearing wall. A good builder should be able to check this out for you.
Ok great thanks for the advice. I will look up their tomorrow. Hopefully all is well!

Theog

Post by Theog » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:42 pm

Pastry wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:27 pm If you need a structural engineer I know SiZeddin is one and lives in Kent :thumbsup:
Good to know :D I may have another job down the line so may ask him regardless

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:23 pm

You only need a structural engineer to do calculations if you are taking down a load bearing wall as it will require steels to replace the structure, an obvious test is all load bearing walls are solid (if its an old house most likely all the walls are solid, so not always a guide), also if you do alter/remove a load bearing wall you will need planning permission, if you don't do this you will have real issues when you come to sell, any builder worth his salt will soon realise if it is or not, if its not load bearing you can pull it down no problem, just worth checking before you do, any rafters above it are continuous otherwise your ceiling may well come down
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:24 pm

meant to mention I am in Kent too, and I have a joinery company for 30 years, so I am in touch with quite a few builders and structural engineers
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional