Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Parking Fines

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Angelus666

Parking Fines

Post by Angelus666 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:47 pm

Any of you chaps ever pay your 'private' car parking fines or just ignore them? I've read that they are just an invoice to pay and you don't actually need to pay them. I've always ignore any NCP charge I got and nothing ever come of it....just wondering what other people do?

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Parking Fines

Post by hopz121 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:50 pm

I wouldn't just ignore them, that isn't the best advice anymore!

Some companies will go after you and it could then make the fine huge or end up with a CCJ neither of which are ideal.
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

Z4jon

Parking Fines

Post by Z4jon » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:35 pm

Have a look on moneysavingexpert forum, there is a procedure to follow along with template letters

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Parking Fines

Post by MACK » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:40 pm

Pepipoo is another good site for this.
You are right though unless it's from the police or a local council is just a invoice for a perceived breach of contract rather than a fine and as a lot do present these as fines you could look at reporting it to trading standards etc

There used to be a real good get of jail card for this sort of thing. Up till a few years back you could basically tell them " thanks for informing me but you need to take it up with the actual driver" and were under no obligation to tell them who that was.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Parking Fines

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:47 pm

Advice used to be to ignore them, and I've done that with plenty. However, there was a recent precedent where it was demonstrated that they were enforceable. So the advice now is not to ignore, but to acknowledge and question it as an unfair charge. They now seem to be pursuing them much more actively, as my bro in law found out recently when they went to remortgage, and discovered he had a CCJ for one..

Mike

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Parking Fines

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:27 am

Been parking at the train station for free now for several years. Had about 7 tickets never paid one. Few others ignored and never heard much on. All they will do is sell the debt to a 3rd party for £5 for them to pursue. But it costs them £60 to court you and it did was cost them £5... so is it worth it for them? No. They can enforce them as a notice. It's simple contract law. What they cannot enforce is a penalty charge. This was ruled several years ago that private companies cannot charge penalties. Hence why some changes to parking charge notice.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

ERX

Parking Fines

Post by ERX » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:30 pm

I received a parking fine from McDonald's in 2016, they sent me threatening letters for months. I ignored every single one and they went away eventually. At the time, I read that after 2012 (I think) a new legislation came into place and just ignoring isn't as foolproof as it used to be so I suppose it's best to choose who you ignore wisely :D

BRC

Parking Fines

Post by BRC » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:06 pm

Various members of my family have been caught out by these speculative invoices and despite current advice have totally ignored them. Net result is they received numerous threat o grams which they also ignored. After 3 or 4 threat o grams they give up and move onto easier targets. From what I can see it is predominantly Parking Eye who seem to follow through on their threat o grams and it would also seem to me they have, shall we say, a sympathetic ear from certain officials.
Basically private parking firms are a curse and are there for one reason and one reason only i.e. to part you from your cash, a little bit like speed cameras....... :fuelfire:

Sold a pair of soft top side covers and now retired.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Parking Fines

Post by Nanu » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:37 pm

MACK wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:40 pm Pepipoo is another good site for this.
You are right though unless it's from the police or a local council is just a invoice for a perceived breach of contract rather than a fine and as a lot do present these as fines you could look at reporting it to trading standards etc

There used to be a real good get of jail card for this sort of thing. Up till a few years back you could basically tell them " thanks for informing me but you need to take it up with the actual driver" and were under no obligation to tell them who that was.
Yep used this site successfully a couple of times. It has all the links to template letters and who to send them to. Can't recommend it highly enough :thumbsup:
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

mjennings23

Parking Fines

Post by mjennings23 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:45 pm

I got these regularly for parking in my assigned parking spot in a previous apartment. They soon stopped when I informed them I would be billing them for conducting business on my property, and billing them for all further threatening correspondence.

Absolute cowboys most of them.