Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The Ring

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

The Ring

Post by mmm-five » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:41 pm

My mate was involved in an incident last year...luckily the polizei decided on the spot that it wasn’t his fault, and he was lucky that the other driver was German..so that his costs will be covered.

Something in the region of £35k once repairs to both cars, track closure, recovery truck & barrier repairs are taken into account.

It was only a light tap, but at critical part of the track where you’re turning hard left, leaning on your offside tyres, so that a light tap by someone cutting the corner underneath you on the grass, results in you flying off into the barrier.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

LordOxygen

The Ring

Post by LordOxygen » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:17 pm

Ive been round the track both as a passenger and a driver.
If you don't know what you're doing, simply keep right, use your mirrors, treat it as an A road that you don't know and leave your ego at the ticket shop.
You have to be going pretty quick to crash under your own steam, it is easy enough to keep your speed under control. Just have to have self discipline and respect the fact you're in a road car. Granted others can take you out and that's a risk you cant fully manage, making sure you're not at fault is the best you can do. Going out early or late helps and picking a dry day.

It's not as bad as all the all the crash videos make out, they are compilations after all.
I'll do it again for sure.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

The Ring

Post by firebobby » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:20 pm

If crash barriers are damaged on UK motorways, even damaged tarmac after a vehicle fire, Highways England will claim from your insurance. It has been like that for years now.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

brightonbimmer

The Ring

Post by brightonbimmer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:54 am

While I was in Germany from 1961 to 1964 with the Canadian Army for NATO, I had a ride around the 'Ring with my friend in his fairly new MG Magnette sedan. I recall being passed in the middle of the Carousel by twin VW Karmann Ghias, one on each side of us! Obviously Porsche powered, as we could see a bit of engine hanging down on both of them. In moments, they were gone from view. Our other scary moment was rounding a curve at the top of a hill to find a stopped bus full of tourists ogling some carnage in the woods to the left of the track. We were able to stop in time, as we were not going too quickly after climbing the hill. The Magnette was not overly rapid with four persons aboard.
David
Current cars: 2013 Honda Civic EX (daily driver, 55,000 KM) + 2003 Mazda MX-5 SE (Titanium Grey, with 22,000 KM) + 2006 BMW M6 (Indianapolis Red Metallic, just turned 67,000 KM)
First sports car was 1963 Morgan 4/4 in 1964.Image

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

The Ring

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:05 am

brightonbimmer wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:54 amThe Magnette was not overly rapid with four persons aboard.
No, I can imagine it wouldn't be - but a great experience nonetheless!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black