Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Needle in my pupil

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Silverzedtom

Needle in my pupil

Post by Silverzedtom » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:06 am

Just got home having spent the evening in A&E. I used an angle grinder to cut an old steel gas pipe out at work. I only needed to cut it once so didn’t bother with the safety specs... I know clever right?

Got to A&E and they confirmed there was a small fragment of rusty steel in my pupil and said it would have to be scraped out with a needle. I’m fine with needles but that was something else! :cry:

Moral of the story... wear safety glasses when you think you probably should!
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Needle in my pupil

Post by buzyg » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 am

Ouch! Lucky escape hopefully no lasting damage.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Needle in my pupil

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:26 am

Sorry to hear that OP. :(

Luckily I'm at that point in life where I always have to wear glasses. :?

I hope you have a speedy recovery. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Crazy Harry

Needle in my pupil

Post by Crazy Harry » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:03 am

Not just grinding. I managed to pressure wash a flake of rust into my eye edge on a few years back.

Local doctors gave me the choice - he gets it out with the end of a hypo needle or a 40 mile round trip to A&E. I promised not to drive home to our village with only one good eye (yea :evil: ) and it was out in about 30 seconds.

Just shows how easy it is to do something stupid but you can't have no risk or we would all be walking around like the 'Michelin Man' in crash helmets.

As Mr Tidy says at least having to wear glasses to see what I'm working on now does help

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Needle in my pupil

Post by mmm-five » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:54 am

My dad is nearly deaf due to working in industrial environments all his life (until he was medically retired) - and ignoring warnings for the last 30 years.

However, despite all the training & warnings from work, he still insists on doing everything around the house with no PPE at all - and our hints (i.e. buying him ear defenders/plugs, overalls, kneepads, goggles) are all wasted.

Half the time, I'll go around, and he doesn't even know in the house until I wave my hands in front of his face :headbang:

But he won't wear a hearing aid because it keeps 'whistling' - but this is only due to him fiddling with the settings after the hospital audiologist has set it up for him :(

He's had metal filings in his eyes; he's thrown away spectacles due to them being peppered with hot filings; he's had nails through his feet as he wears slippers in the wood-shed; he's forever skinning his knuckles as he won't wear mechanic gloves; etc.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Needle in my pupil

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:36 am

Ouch... Been there when I was younger.. Now I am older (and wiser) I ALWAYS wear eye and ear protection when working on a car, you never know when something will pop off, even doing something as simple a changing brake pads..

Mike

Silverzedtom

Needle in my pupil

Post by Silverzedtom » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:13 pm

Thanks for the messages. Sounds like I’m not the only one who has learned the hard way. I’ll be thinking twice for a long time to come yet.

On the plus side there shouldn’t be any lasting damage, just a watery eye and annoying paste to chuck in there 4 times a day for a while.

The NHS is often given a hard time so it’s worth me mentioning that they couldn’t have been better last night. Saw me quickly and reassured me when they saw me sh1t myself about having the needle poked in. 10/10 on that visit. Hopefully I won’t need another for a while.

And I can drive the zed! :driving:
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Needle in my pupil

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:19 pm

Been there too
I was ‘only grinding something quiclly’
End result was a hot micro fragment melted its way into my eye. Didn’t know for 2 days until it really irritated
Yellow dye, hold still and we’ll scrape that out was all I needed to hear to never be stupid with grinders again...
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Needle in my pupil

Post by john-e89 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:04 pm

:? ....so you’re not a teacher that’s lost the plot with an unruly gobshite urchin? Which was my first thought....... :smart:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Silverzedtom

Needle in my pupil

Post by Silverzedtom » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:14 am

john-e89 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:04 pm:? ....so you’re not a teacher that’s lost the plot with an unruly gobshite urchin? Which was my first thought....... :smart:
:lol:
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S