Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

windows 10 ......bo77ox!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
bluespit

windows 10 ......bo77ox!

Post by bluespit » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:50 pm

anyone any idea how i can get this pile of inconceivable crap of my pc?

sorry........

been using a mac for years but need a pc at home for some odd software the misses wants to use. bought a laptop with windows 10.......what have they been smoking???

can't get anything to work - no control panel, no printers, no explorer.....

my experience of PCs is that I am in control, well not of this crafty bu99er I aint!

sorry again

Use PC all the time at work so no stranger to windows but I can't get this to do anything without a fight. How can I get win 7 or even XP?

thanks
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

windows 10 ......bo77ox!

Post by buzyg » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:02 pm

My condolences. Alas I refuse, thus far, to go over to WIndows 10. So I have Win98 on one machine, for all my old games. :D :thumbsup: and Win 7 on this one. When Mrs G needs something sorting on her Win 10 Lap top, there is usually much cursing, before I bend it to my wills.

Good Luck. :cry:

Zoomer

windows 10 ......bo77ox!

Post by Zoomer » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:06 pm

If you think win 10 is sh@@ then you should look at win 8 , it's even worse.
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

windows 10 ......bo77ox!

Post by Chris_D » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:07 pm

calm down. ur winding urself up matey.
was given a laptop to use by the company i'm doing a bit of work for atm. has windows 10 on it. totally new to me too. all the settings u can find if u click on the cog symbol after clicking the main windows icon bottom left. explorer is there too. theres also a search box you can tap prog names into.
will become familiar after a few days use....
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

windows 10 ......bo77ox!

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:15 pm

I had Windows 7 on my old notebook and had no problems with it - well once I'd got used to it! I kept getting offered Windows 10 for free, but kept declining as I was marginal on memory for running it!

But it more or less died last year so I bought a laptop and Windows 10 was unavoidable - but to be fair I'm finding it OK, although why they have to move everything on each new version is beyond me. :( But allegedly it is supposed to last for ages with just updates instead of new versions every couple of years - we'll see!

Mind either is far easier to use then Windows 8 that Mrs Tidy has on her laptop - I can't find anything with that! :headbang:

I'm sure you'll get there OP - hopefully soon. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Vonlipvig

windows 10 ......bo77ox!

Post by Vonlipvig » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Windows 10 I actually like using, more so than 7, then again, I think I was one of the few who got on with Vista. As Chris said, the search function is your friend with it and is actually pretty damn good I think
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

bluespit

windows 10 ......bo77ox!

Post by bluespit » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:20 pm

cog symbol does SFA!

Cant uninstall printer, can't install printer.... never mind windows 10, the office window is looking favourite for this bloody thing

hang on......

result, windows 10 says the printer is turned off (it isn't). it says it can't print. so it starts to print and hey presto!! It Prints.

but it stall says the printer is turned off

jeez!

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

windows 10 ......bo77ox!

Post by jabber » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:20 pm

I have set my windows 10 laptop to start in desktop mode almost indenticle to running win 7
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

bluespit

windows 10 ......bo77ox!

Post by bluespit » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:21 pm

all Ive wanted to do was print a simple cad drawing that took 5 mins to produce - taken 2 hours

bluespit

windows 10 ......bo77ox!

Post by bluespit » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:22 pm

jabber wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:20 pmI have set my windows 10 laptop to start in desktop mode almost indenticle to running win 7

how how how, pleeeeease tell me how

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

windows 10 ......bo77ox!

Post by TitanTim » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:25 pm

I spent months and months deliberating what to get to replace my 9 year old DELL with Vista :) Apple-Windows-Apple-Windows :?

In the end went with another DELL XPS with Windows 10 and so far not as bad as I'd feared. I did have one hiccup though after 2 weeks of having the laptop I left it in sleep mode and when I came back to use it windows refused to boot back up, didn't matter what I tried and it kept trying to do a repair and going around in circles. I ended up having to reinstall Windows from scratch and so far seems stable. Impressed though with boot up times, literally a few secs and I'm in. Windows 10 though does feel fragile to use, or not that stable.

The problem with going back as far as XP is the operating system becomes less stable and its functionality deteriorates as I found out with Vista as its not supported by Microsoft anymore.

Tim.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

windows 10 ......bo77ox!

Post by GuidoK » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:31 pm

If you install Classic Shell (windows classic start menu) you can find everything again where you once learned it would be (in fact you can configure it the way you like)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

bluespit

windows 10 ......bo77ox!

Post by bluespit » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:32 pm

guess I bought into the mac world because it just works, I always used to fiddle with PCs to get them to do what I wanted, I still want to be able to do that with this laptop but it won't let me

At least I have the printout that I need now...

think a malbec may be called for........

cheers

bluespit

windows 10 ......bo77ox!

Post by bluespit » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:33 pm

GuidoK wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:31 pmIf you install Classic Shell (windows classic start menu) you can find everything again where you once learned it would be (in fact you can configure it the way you like)
where is this? third party add-on or option built in?

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

windows 10 ......bo77ox!

Post by GuidoK » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:35 pm

3rd party (but free)
But about all these problems, they're really easy to google imho

You can switch between tablet/desktop mode by clicking the notification icon and pressing the area/button that says tabletmode (all in the right down corner)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch