Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anyone got Sky Q? - Couple of questions..

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:39 pm

We currently have 4 Sky+HD boxes at home, one in the lounge (2tb) and 500gb ones in our bedroom, and 2 of the kids rooms. Just been offered a free upgrade to replace them all with Sky Q, but I have a few questions to anyone that already has it, as I'm struggling to find the answers, and the CS "advisor" was clueless..

I understand there will be a "main" box and 3 satellites, but ATM, the kids can record what they want, and it's stored locally on their hard drive in the relevant box.

With Sky Q, I have a sneaky suspicion, that ALL recordings are made on the "main" box, and the satellite boxes acces the recordings to view over Wifi?

So, does this cause even more "congestion" on the Wifi? We currently have about 15 devices connected on the 2.4Ghz access point, and my mobile, the wife's and the Sky+ box in our room on the 5Ghz access point, to try and keep our feeds stable.

Also, I'm thinking that the kid's recordings would rapidly populate both the the "planner" on the main box, and more importantly it's hard drive? Does anyone know the capacity of the hard drive?

Is it actually ANY better? I've just swapped the Tivo box in the shop for a V6 Virgin box, which is a lot faster, has 4K and records 7 programmes whilst you watch an 8th, BUT that only has one user - ME..

Comments or thoughts/experience appreciated..

Mike

indeep75

Post by indeep75 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Hi there,

Yep, I have Sky Q. As you say, there is a main Q box and any additional 'mini' boxes are connected via wifi to the Q box. The Q box holds all of the recordings and these can be accessed by the other boxes around the house. Any recordings made by the mini box are stored on the main Q box.

This could potentially cause bandwidth issues though this would depend on your broadband speeds. I have fibre unlimited, about 30mb, so plenty of headroom overall. The mini boxes apparently act as wifi hot spots to help with speeds though not sure how this actually works.

There are 2 Q boxes to choose from, a 1TB box and a 2TB box. The 2TB version is the only one to support 4k I believe so it's the one to go for. My kids download stuff all the time and I've had no issues with storage. With the 2TB box you can record up to 6 channels while watching a 7th.

As for 'is it any good'? This is subjective and will depend on what you are used to. I love it, though I work for Sky so my opinion may not be as balanced as some. Go and have a play if you can.

Rob
Z4M Coupe Silver-Grey / Light Sepang Leather Extended / Piano Black
Gone: Z4M Coupe Silver-Grey / Imola Red / CSLs
Gone: Space Grey E89 28i

https://www.instagram.com/indeep75_

obewan

Post by obewan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:29 pm

+1 :thumbsup:
Note, the mini boxes don't support 4K - much to my son's annoyance
If you register on the Sky VIP app and have been with them long enough (or close if you ring up) you can get a 2TB box and a mini box free with free installation
Personally I love it
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:30 pm

indeep75 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 pmHi there,

Yep, I have Sky Q. As you say, there is a main Q box and any additional 'mini' boxes are connected via wifi to the Q box. The Q box holds all of the recordings and these can be accessed by the other boxes around the house. Any recordings made by the mini box are stored on the main Q box.

This could potentially cause bandwidth issues though this would depend on your broadband speeds. I have fibre unlimited, about 30mb, so plenty of headroom overall. The mini boxes apparently act as wifi hot spots to help with speeds though not sure how this actually works.

There are 2 Q boxes to choose from, a 1TB box and a 2TB box. The 2TB version is the only one to support 4k I believe so it's the one to go for. My kids download stuff all the time and I've had no issues with storage. With the 2TB box you can record up to 6 channels while watching a 7th.

As for 'is it any good'? This is subjective and will depend on what you are used to. I love it, though I work for Sky so my opinion may not be as balanced as some. Go and have a play if you can.

Rob

Hmm, this is what worries me - The kids filling the hard drive up, so I can't record my own stuff!

Mike

Big mike

Post by Big mike » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:29 pm

Hi i have had iQ about a year now best thing i ever did did
When we record something after watching it we delete it so space for us is not a issue
If you know a sky fitter ask them they are the ones who know the info i found out
Hope that helps
Big Mike signing-off :driving: :driving:
E85 sterling grey 2.5 2003 17inch alloys
Roof pump relocated in boot

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:33 pm

Big mike wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:29 pm When we record something after watching it we delete it so space for us is not a issue

And THAT is one of the biggest issues in our household... WHY you would not delete a program after watching it, almost 3 bloody years ago, and then complain that there is 0% storage left on the 2Tb HDD....

Women...

Think I'll stick with the Sky+ HD, at least that way, the storage space in the bedroom is mine.. And I mean on the HDD, and not the wardrobes, which is another issue :D

Mike

Big mike

Post by Big mike » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:56 pm

The problem for us you can only record 2 programs so the Qbox is ideal for us plus i spoke to a sky fitter whomexplained the system
The sales bloke was as good as a chocolate tea pot
But good luck in deciding
Big Mike signing-off :driving: :driving:
E85 sterling grey 2.5 2003 17inch alloys
Roof pump relocated in boot