Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DSLR Cameras + Drones

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

DSLR Cameras + Drones

Post by tomscott » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:29 pm

Great pics :thumbsup:

The background blur looks lovely and smooth :thumbsup:

jimmybell

DSLR Cameras + Drones

Post by jimmybell » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:45 pm

Nice pics! We really should have more entries to the photo competition :P

Hm, i'm going to have to decide something soon, goodwood members meeting is coming up :D Have watched a good 30+ camera review/comparison videos now!

Next task is to diligently try to understand Nikon and compare against Canon. It's funny - i never know anyone who uses Nikon!
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

DSLR Cameras + Drones

Post by tomscott » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Worth a trip to Jessops getting them in hand may be the deciding factor :thumbsup:

pvr
Legend
Legend

DSLR Cameras + Drones

Post by pvr » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:26 pm

Park Cameras in Burgess Hill (next to the Porsche garage) is huge and has everything. TVR did all the hand holding in that shop.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

jimmybell

DSLR Cameras + Drones

Post by jimmybell » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:36 pm

I was actually thinking when i could find time to visit a camera store and fiddle around like a clueless monkey.
pvr wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:26 pmPark Cameras in Burgess Hill (next to the Porsche garage) is huge and has everything. TVR did all the hand holding in that shop.
Ahh that's where Park Cameras is! i've seen some of their vids. Randomly i'm actually heading down that way (towards hailsham) tomorrow, i may just pop in. Hoping its decent weather so i can drive the noise machine.
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
--

pvr
Legend
Legend

DSLR Cameras + Drones

Post by pvr » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:43 pm

Easy parking there as well, and if you want to upgrade the car - 200 meters from the Porsche dealer :evil:
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

DSLR Cameras + Drones

Post by tomscott » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:58 pm

:rofl:

We need to see some more pics of this upgrade :thumbsup:

jimmybell

DSLR Cameras + Drones

Post by jimmybell » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:02 pm

pvr wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:43 pmEasy parking there as well, and if you want to upgrade the car - 200 meters from the Porsche dealer :evil:
Hah, Chris Harris compared my car to the 911R, i believe they're quite tricky to get hold of even in an OPC (and even if i had the money!).

Wouldn't turn my nose up at a GT3 or GT3RS, though a different car 'ideology' to this one:

--

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

DSLR Cameras + Drones

Post by original guvnor » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:09 pm

She’s a beaut :thumbsup:

V12 Vantage would be in my Top 5 cars I’d like to own before I shuttle off this mortal coil!

jimmybell

DSLR Cameras + Drones

Post by jimmybell » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:17 pm

original guvnor wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:09 pmShe’s a beaut :thumbsup:

V12 Vantage would be in my Top 5 cars I’d like to own before I shuttle off this mortal coil!
I'd offer up a drive but i can't afford for anyone to crash it :D Welcome to a passenger ride though, i'm in Nottingham regularly :)
--

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

DSLR Cameras + Drones

Post by tomscott » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:18 am

Another spanner in the works.

Sony announced the A7 III yesterday which is pretty much one of the best all round FF cameras you can buy and its cheap... £2k launch probably £1400 grey market. I am very tempted to order one.

Few highlight features
  • 24.2MP full-frame Exmor R CMOS sensor
  • 15-stops of dynamic range to showcase subtle graduations from shadows to highlights
  • ISO range of 100-51,200 which is expandable to 50-204,800
  • 14-bit RAW capture even in silent and continuous shooting modes
  • 5-axis 5-step in-body image stabilisation, making it possible for users to shoot handheld at lower shutter speeds, while also providing smoother video capture
  • 4D Focus – 693 phase-detection, and 425 contrast detection AF points
  • With implementation of focal-plane phase-detection technology, the camera's autofocus system is approximately twice as fast as in previous models
  • Like the flagship A9, the camera features enhanced AF tracking, allowing for precise focus results when shooting video, or in continuous/burst modes with moving subjects
  • Utilise the touch screen to find focus in a shot thanks to the A7 Mark III's Touch Focus and Touch Pad functions. Either tap on the rear screen to find your focus, or intuitively drag the focus frame across the shot while using the viewfinder
  • Continuous burst at up to 10 frames per second with AF/AE tracking, or up to 8 frames per second burst shooting when in Live View mode
  • Full sensor read out 4K High Dynamic Range video (without pixel binning) and make the most of the new Hybrid Log Gamma profile for extra flexibility in post-production
  • New high-capacity NP-FZ100 battery, allowing users to shoot up to 710 images on one charge
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... lease-date

jimmybell

DSLR Cameras + Drones

Post by jimmybell » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 pm

haha i was just watching vids of it!

Do you know much about Sony lenses ? i understand the Canon arch and have a decent feel for what's good/popular and what's not (mainly because canon is so well documented and widely used, and ive used in the past), but sony stuff is all new to me!

Shame the screen isn't fully flippyrotatey!

the digitalrev guy:

this annoying guy who seems to know his s**t, but is still annoying:
--

pvr
Legend
Legend

DSLR Cameras + Drones

Post by pvr » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:38 pm

Does Sony still use the Minolta lenses? On one of the earlier Sony DSLRs TVR had, he used my Minolta lenses that I had (have) at the time.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

DSLR Cameras + Drones

Post by tomscott » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:44 pm

jimmybell wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 pm haha i was just watching vids of it!

Do you know much about Sony lenses ? i understand the Canon arch and have a decent feel for what's good/popular and what's not (mainly because canon is so well documented and widely used, and ive used in the past), but sony stuff is all new to me!

Shame the screen isn't fully flippyrotatey!

the digitalrev guy:

this annoying guy who seems to know his s**t, but is still annoying:
The Sony lenses are great. Its a new system and the lens selection is limited and they are expensive roughly 20-30% more over the equivalent Canon. For example the 100-400mm is 2kish not 1.5kish. The Sony lenses are as sharp if not sharper as they are all new. They do have the main bases covered.

Main issue is the 2.8 lenses are the same size and weight and the body is much smaller so can feel unbalanced but its worth having a look and seeing what you think.

You can get the slower lenses but they arent great as far as I know. Like canon they make a budget and a high end.

Your in a unique position that you can swap without really any loss. I would like to give the Sonys a go but with a body and the trinity of 2.8 zooms is around a 6-8k investment and its too much to give it a go... especially when the canon stuff is still working great keeping 2 systems isnt really feasable or easy to switch with when your shooting a wedding etc Its also a learning curve, my brain is trained with the canon stuff and I dont even think about where each button is and what it does etc.

This is basically the camera Canon fans have been screaming for at the right price point. Its arguably along the lines of what the 5DMKIV should have been.

The 5DMKIV is one of the best cameras you can buy but it is expensive for what you get in comparison. What it does give you is reliability which always worries me with the Sony system.

Good or bad thing is they are continuously innovating so a new body every 12-18 months. Its good because its new tech but takes the old stuff defunct quickly and you end up spending more :D

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

DSLR Cameras + Drones

Post by tomscott » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:47 pm

pvr wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:38 pmDoes Sony still use the Minolta lenses? On one of the earlier Sony DSLRs TVR had, he used my Minolta lenses that I had (have) at the time.
Sony bought minolta and rebranded it.

The A series uses a different mount called the E mount and the SLR style cameras use the A mount which I think was probably developed from the Minolta mount.

Anyway the nice thing about the Sony mirrorless cameras is that you can convert any lenses to work on it with an adapter. They all have inbuilt stabilisation so you can use nice legacy glass. Has all the peeking and zebras etc in the viewfinder so you can use manual focus lenses without issue too.

Pretty cool.