Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Garage floor ?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
rally-chris

Garage floor ?

Post by rally-chris » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:52 pm

Nictrix wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:58 pm
rally-chris wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:47 pm
Nictrix wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:42 pm Is there an easy way to make a concrete floor flat?
Our garage used to have a home made pit that I filled years ago but the surface is not very smooth.
Because of this I have never painted it or put flooring tiles down as the centre section where the pit was is not flat enough.
Yes - get yourself some self levelling screed. This is usually a relatively quick drying plasticised cement that will smooth out lumps and bumps and give you a much smoother and less dusty surface than raw concrete. You have to mix it with water as then spread it out with a trowel or straight edge and then it levels itself out.

Chris
Is there a minimum thickness that this needs to be put down to stop it breaking up?
If it needed to be put down an inch thick it would create a bump going in and out of the garage and possibly give me a problem with the garage door.
No, it’s intended to be only a few mm thick. I’m currently in the process of smoothing our my garage floor in sections at a time, ahead of painting it.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

Silverzedtom

Garage floor ?

Post by Silverzedtom » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:04 am

rally-chris wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:47 pm
Nictrix wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:42 pm Is there an easy way to make a concrete floor flat?
Our garage used to have a home made pit that I filled years ago but the surface is not very smooth.
Because of this I have never painted it or put flooring tiles down as the centre section where the pit was is not flat enough.
Yes - get yourself some self levelling screed. This is usually a relatively quick drying plasticised cement that will smooth out lumps and bumps and give you a much smoother and less dusty surface than raw concrete. You have to mix it with water as then spread it out with a trowel or straight edge and then it levels itself out.

Chris
Is there a minimum thickness that this needs to be put down to stop it breaking up?
If it needed to be put down an inch thick it would create a bump going in and out of the garage and possibly give me a problem with the garage door.
Mapei do a 3-15mm screed that works pretty well. I have to use it before floor tiling every once in a while. If use a slightly stiffer mix you could easily get a smooth slope down to the garage door.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Garage floor ?

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:33 am

Taz wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:58 pm
mr.tourette wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:46 pmIve got carpet tiles from ebay, still working out great 5 years on, nice and warm in winter too
How do these cope with wet cars?
Tbh Taz I only put my motorbikes in the garage mate, the cars live outside, that said Id be happy to put a wet car on them as my garage has a nice big radiator in and has decent airflow...guess it would depend on individual circumstances though
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Garage floor ?

Post by MrPT » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:43 am

How about those interlocking plastic floor mats? I'm guessing the known-brand stuff is pretty expensive, but there must be cheaper knock-offs which will do 80% of the job.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Steve84N

Garage floor ?

Post by Steve84N » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:20 pm

I wanted to use rubber tiles on our 1.5 new build concrete floor garage.

In the end I used garage floor paint and it's been very durable. Make sure it's specifically for garage floors as it's designed not to pick up on wheels. Once you've left it a few days it goes very hard but not brittle.

The key thing though, which hasn't been mentioned so far, is to seal the concrete first with a clear sealant. Before you put the sealant down sweep out the garage after you've wetted it to remove all the loose dust. Let it dry properly before sealing though.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

pvr
Legend
Legend

Garage floor ?

Post by pvr » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:27 pm

I put resin down on the floor on the new garage, does not matter much what the concrete is like as it is about 1.5 cm thick by itself. It was unbelievable expensive so not sure if I would do it again like that rather than ceramic tiles.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Paulwirral

Garage floor ?

Post by Paulwirral » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:16 pm

rally-chris wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:52 pm
rally-chris wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:47 pm Yes - get yourself some self levelling screed. This is usually a relatively quick drying plasticised cement that will smooth out lumps and bumps and give you a much smoother and less dusty surface than raw concrete. You have to mix it with water as then spread it out with a trowel or straight edge and then it levels itself out.

Chris
No, it’s intended to be only a few mm thick. I’m currently in the process of smoothing our my garage floor in sections at a time, ahead of painting it.

Chris
You can do thicker applications by mixing it with dry , clean sharp sand , ratio is 1 to 1 usually . I wouldn't recommend jacking directly off it though , use a 12mm ply pad at least .

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Garage floor ?

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:44 pm

Back in the mid-90s I built a garage - with plenty of help and all technical expertise provided by a mate.

I wanted a good finish, so hovered it, sealed it and then painted it with a 2-part Leyland garage floor paint that was supposed to be ultra hard-wearing. The first time I put one of my bikes on the centre-stand I realised it wasn't. :headbang:

Back to floor mats under the stands!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black