Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brittany, France - Good driving in late March?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Theog

Post by Theog » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:07 pm

Evening all,

There is a small chance I may go on a holiday in Brittany at the end of March. My father won a raffle which includes a week in a house there. He can't go, so he's asking if I wish to go.

I'm thinking of taking the car down, and was wondering if anyone has done something similar? How would you guys rate it for driving. Any good, or a little boring? I have no idea about this area of France (and France in general), so any ideas would be great. Sorry for the ignorance.

Just looking at the average weather (http://www.holiday-weather.com/brittany/averages/), it still looks pretty cold. Not far of South England temperatures! Do you think I could have the hood down, or is it equally as ambitious as doing the same in UK around the same time?

Any words of wisdom would be great, as my wife and I only have limited holiday and it would be great to get out, but not sure if to go south of Germany (alps driving) or Brittany. Brittany is going to be a lot cheaper, but we only have so much time also.

Best,

T

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:47 pm

I'll tell you an awesome route. Portsmouth to bilbao. Drive east through the pyrenees. Lower parts will be clear end of march. And up through rural France, through Brittany to Normandy and then Caen to Portsmouth. Epic little trip. Roof down... why not. May have a nip in the air but hey. Not as bad as it is here right now and mine was down today.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

Theog

Post by Theog » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:54 pm

Monkeydonkeyratmagic wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:47 pmI'll tell you an awesome route. Portsmouth to bilbao. Drive east through the pyrenees. Lower parts will be clear end of march. And up through rural France, through Brittany to Normandy and then Caen to Portsmouth. Epic little trip. Roof down... why not. May have a nip in the air but hey. Not as bad as it is here right now and mine was down today.
Do they get much snow there do you think. Did not consider the potential issues with snow / ice. Safe to say the Zed's aren't great in the snow!

Interesting route there.

That being said, we will mainly be staying at 1 place in Brittany. So we will probably need to go from portsmouth to brittany (roughly). Then scoot around the Brittany area only, then head back. This is mainly because we have 7 days holiday in 1 location. So sadly no major trips / other places to sleep.

Later in the year (July) we want to head towards Munich via any route possible :)

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:01 pm

A lot to see in that area to keep you interested for a week & countryside + roads allow great driving :wink: :driving: i'm down there in the Z first week March .
You could day trip visit Mt St Michel , St Malo , Dinard , Dinan , Cancale , Fougeres , Avranches , Granville , Rennes or up into Normandy for the landing beaches . Been to them all many times & always enjoyable :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Theog

Post by Theog » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:04 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:01 pmA lot to see in that area to keep you interested for a week & countryside + roads allow great driving :wink: :driving: i'm down there in the Z first week March .
You could day trip visit Mt St Michel , St Malo , Dinard , Dinan , Cancale , Fougeres , Avranches , Granville , Rennes or up into Normandy for the landing beaches . Been to them all many times & always enjoyable :thumbsup:
Ah what great timing. Thanks for the feedback!

The weather ok? Hood down? General experiences of that time?

Theog

Post by Theog » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:07 pm

On a side note, is it worthe taking the ferry all the way down to St Malo, or best to drive from Calais?

The ferry seems a little steep price wise, and I guess you stay overnight on the ferry!? Hmm, I'm thinking more on the driving side now.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:08 pm

Theog wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:04 pm
mr wilks wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:01 pmA lot to see in that area to keep you interested for a week & countryside + roads allow great driving :wink: :driving: i'm down there in the Z first week March .

Theog wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:04 pm

Normandy / Brittany in March ? :oops: you might get some nice spells but i would go expecting similar to the Uk in March
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Theog

Post by Theog » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:10 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:08 pm
Normandy / Brittany in March ? :oops: you might get some nice spells but i would go expecting similar to the Uk in March
Ok, could be nice (hopefully)!

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:12 pm

Theog wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:07 pmOn a side note, is it worthe taking the ferry all the way down to St Malo, or best to drive from Calais?

The ferry seems a little steep price wise, and I guess you stay overnight on the ferry!? Hmm, I'm thinking more on the driving side now.
Ive just booked Eurotunnel at £131 return but in all honesty the drive from Calais to Brittany whilst easy by Uk comparison is pretty dull for a lot of it ( approx 300 miles & £22 tolls each way into Brittany from Calais) . Though a chance to stop off or stay over at Honfleur is worth the effort .
Try looking at a halfway option with Newhaven to Dieppe crossing LdLines / DFDS
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Theog

Post by Theog » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:08 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:12 pm
Theog wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:07 pmOn a side note, is it worthe taking the ferry all the way down to St Malo, or best to drive from Calais?

Ive just booked Eurotunnel at £131 return but in all honesty the drive from Calais to Brittany whilst easy by Uk comparison is pretty dull for a lot of it ( approx 300 miles & £22 tolls each way into Brittany from Calais) . Though a chance to stop off or stay over at Honfleur is worth the effort .
Try looking at a halfway option with Newhaven to Dieppe crossing LdLines / DFDS
Wise words! Really appreciate the advice!

Theog

Post by Theog » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:10 pm

mr wilks, btw you have a great instagram account!

DaveZ4richardson

Post by DaveZ4richardson » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:34 pm

Am off to France in June, hopefully 2 weeks of roof down driving, heading to Reims for the first week then over to Tours for the second week.
DaveZ4richardson :thumbsup:
3.0i 2003 E85 auto cruise control, smart top module.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:05 pm

Went down to Castelsagrat last March to visit friends and travelled via Portsmouth / Caen as it’s a long drive south for me before we reach any suitable port. We got a 22.00 crossing so only time for a swift pint and a few hours sleep before the first day ( another 250/300) to the Loire.

What did I learn from the trip?
I will buy an electronic toll gizmo as Mrs K finds it difficult to reach the card slot on the machines and I’m likely to graze the wheels if I try to be more helpful so any costs incurred will be less than a wheel repair!

We will spend a few days in Arromanches again to see where my father spent his summer holiday in June ‘44 then rather than an early morning return trip, I have booked a 16.00 crossing and have accommodation booked in rural Bedfordshire for a couple of nights.

Basically, I’m too old to do more than 200/300 a day and don’t really need to anyway!
Last edited by ronk on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Theog

Post by Theog » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:09 pm

ronk wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:05 pmWent down to Castelsagrat last March and travelled via Portsmouth / Caen as it’s a long drive south for me. We got a 22.00 crossing so time for a swift pint and a few hours sleep before the first day ( another 250/300) to the Loire.

What did I learn from the trip?
I will buy an electronic toll gizmo as Mrs K finds it difficult to reach the card slot on the machines and I’m likely to graze the wheels if I try to be more helpful so costs incurred will be less than a wheel repair.

Rather than an early morning return trip, I have booked a 16.00 crossing and have accommodation booked in rural Bedfordshire.

Basically, I’m too old to do more than 200/300 a day and don’t really need to anyway!
Hmm good idea. I think I need to look into those chip things.

My wife sit's abnormally high in the car (looks like a booster seat!), so hopefully she will be able to reach a little better.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:23 pm

Theog wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:09 pm
Hmm good idea. I think I need to look into those chip things.

My wife sit's abnormally high in the car (looks like a booster seat!), so hopefully she will be able to reach a little better.
We travelled in the 335xd which is a good bit higher than the Z4 but she still found it awkward. The first year costs for the gizmo is quite high. Set up fee / Deposit then a monthly usage fee but it will be worthwhile to swish thro. :thumbsup:

For info:-
https://www.saneftolling.co.uk
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: