Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Looking for alarm recommendations for a property..

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:19 pm

sticky wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:13 pmI was given a Boerboel by a mate to look after while he did time 25 years ago I had no clue I just thought it was a BIG Rotweiler then it grew and grew. Our local postie recognised it. Wish I had the space for a couple, really caring dogs, just scary to others
Well after our last dog, a Choc Lab who we'd had since she was 8 weeks old died in Oct 2016, I swore we'd never have another.. Fast forward 18 months, and we now have a beautiful Rottweiler who would kill anyone that tried to harm the kids, a crazy Husky, and a mad Shar Pei.Springer cross who was 8 weeks old when we rescued him, all of them are rescue dogs.. God help anyone who gets into our home uninvited..
14907044_10154105049563087_185640331269543679_n.jpg
14907044_10154105049563087_185640331269543679_n.jpg (159.39 KiB) Viewed 552 times

And my youngest son Jonah thinking he's one of the pack..

Mike

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:02 pm

tomscott wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:32 pmJust bought the Yale one myself

Smart home view and control kit.

Great piece of kit and super easy to install. Easy to add to a smart home set up with cameras and all controled via Alexa or google home.

If it detects a wireless blocker it will automatically set the alarm off.

The main thing for me after being burgled last year is it just letting you know somethings going on so you can call the police and take action quickly.

An alarm on its own is pointless as to most people it’s an inconvieneince and anoying and they won’t do anything about it.
Haven't been burgled but this is the system we've just installed too - added a couple of keyfobs so the keypad is not required day to day. Spent the afternoon on New years day installing it - piece of cake.

It's mrs gannet proof too :D
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:49 am

Ducklakeview wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:36 am TBH Alan, I've decided to hardwire it, just ordered a mid range Texecom panel with remote KP, one more thing to add to the list of "to-do's" lol.

Mike
I may be old fashioned but I still believe wired is best. You've got something you can put a Meter on and it also gives you the flexibility to use any12v PIR sensor allowing you to best suit the environment.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:15 am

One question on the wifi based alarms with a router plugged in to a network port - if the wifi drops out (or for example if the main breaker is turned off in the house), how does it function?
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:51 am

ph001 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:15 am One question on the wifi based alarms with a router plugged in to a network port - if the wifi drops out (or for example if the main breaker is turned off in the house), how does it function?
It only needs the wifi router for internet access to send you notifications. The wireless systems all have back up batteries built in and the sensors etc are connected to the security hub via a wifi signal not the internet itself. So if the power goes down it will power itself and will go off if an intruder is detected but you wont get a notification.

The other option is to have the alarm base station/wifi router attached to a small UPS and the telephone line itself has power so if the mains power should go out in your area you will still have internet and it will still send notification and you wont be relying on a battery inside the security hub.

Ideally wired is best, but at the cost of some of these systems its a nice option for you to be able to take it with you. At the end of the day an alarm wont stop a burglary it will deter it. The main thing is it letting you know there is an intrusion.

After our house was burgled and I caught them in the act and ended up getting assaulted was a really nasty experience and it really effects you mentally. I did a lot of research of the best ways to not really secure your property but what goes through a burglars mind and how to deter those actions.

Apparently most will test your presence by ringing the bell to see if anyone is home, if they are they pretend to sell services/products etc if there is no answer they try the door.

So to adding a product like a ring doorbell or some kind of camera at the front of the house is a much better deterant as it will defect movement within a certain zone you set and send you a notification and give you a video feed. The alarm adds another level of complexity for a burglar to get around. It also means the burglar would look much more suspicious walking around with a balaclava before a trying the door so the likelihood is you will capture their face before they get to the front door.

EssexZed

Post by EssexZed » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:10 pm

ph001 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:15 amOne question on the wifi based alarms with a router plugged in to a network port - if the wifi drops out (or for example if the main breaker is turned off in the house), how does it function?
If meaning wireless based alarms like those mentioned from Yale, these don’t work over WiFi using a router. All of the sensor types, e.g. PIR’s, door contacts etc., are battery powered and independently communicate with the main alarm monitoring panel wirelessly. The alarm panel is mains powered but with battery backup. The batteries in the sensors and in the external siren typically last 18-24 months.

Depending on the system, some will plug into a telephone line to call out and alert up to three recipients in the event of the alarm being triggered. You can also dial into the system to set, unset the alarm remotely.

I think somebody mentioned that it’s now possible to plug cameras into these systems and those individual items will probably need to work through a WiFi router.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Good replies - thanks. Yeh, I saw the Yale smart home alarm had a control box that wired into a network port, but I get it now that it just means you don't get notification if the power is off to that. The alarm still works.

Looks like a decent bit of kit for home use. I quite like the cameras built into the PIR and also that you can add dedicated 720p cameras etc.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:46 pm

The only issue with the Yale cameras is they dont yet have movement sensors they just document.

Whereas most cameras no will send you a notification if there is any movement in a given area you specify. There isnt really a perfect kit atm. I would like the quality of the Nest cameras with the usability of the Netgear Arlo pro that are compatible with the Yale alarm.

Picking your battles atm none of them do everything. The only way to get sorted it to ensure they are all compatible with Alexa, google home or something like Samsung smart things.

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:45 pm

Number5 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:49 am
Ducklakeview wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:36 am TBH Alan, I've decided to hardwire it, just ordered a mid range Texecom panel with remote KP, one more thing to add to the list of "to-do's" lol.

Mike

I may be old fashioned but I still believe wired is best. You've got something you can put a Meter on and it also gives you the flexibility to use any12v PIR sensor allowing you to best suit the environment.
Totally agree.
Well seeing those who don't install these professionally advise on wireless,lol.
Only a small part of what I do,given I am an Electrician,etc,but always prefer wired to wireless.
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:52 pm

tomscott wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:32 pmJust bought the Yale one myself

Smart home view and control kit.

Great piece of kit and super easy to install. Easy to add to a smart home set up with cameras and all controled via Alexa or google home.

If it detects a wireless blocker it will automatically set the alarm off.

The main thing for me after being burgled last year is it just letting you know somethings going on so you can call the police and take action quickly.

An alarm on its own is pointless as to most people it’s an inconvieneince and anoying and they won’t do anything about it.
The wireless kits serve a purpose,mainly the DIY market.
Majority of Electricians and Alarm installers choose wired.

Any decent wired kit allows you to add a Speech and Text dialler,that will phone and or message upto 10 or so numbers that you put into it,example your mobile,parents house,etc etc,which will notify you of an alarm going off.
Just that not many people choose to have a text and speech dialler installed!
As you say,Tom,kind of pointless without,if you want to keep notified :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)