Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Looking for alarm recommendations for a property..

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:11 pm

I know we have a few alarm installers on here, so thought I'd ask..

In the shop, I have a hard wired Optima, which is bells only, plus an autodialler.

Installed it myself 5 years ago, and haven't had a single problem or false alarm.

Anyway, just signed the lease on some new premises, and due to the size of it, was wondering if a wireless system may be less hassle?

I've seen the Yale ones in Costco, that come with a panel that has an inbuilt dialler, and come with a couple of PIR's and a couple of door contacts plus a bell box which pretty much covers what I need, but are they any good? Susceptible to interference/tampering? The property itself is withingn a secure, gated and fenced compound, but I like the belt and braces approach when it comes to security...

The premises will have full HD CCTV which will be viewable on my phone, same setup as the shop, so what's the consensus?

Happy to put a full hardwired system in, but looking to save some time as there are 1001 other things to be getting on with there..

Mike

EssexZed

Post by EssexZed » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:23 pm

Hello Mike,

I installed a Yale Easy Fit Telecommuting system in my house over 2 years ago and been very happy with it. Bought an extra PIR and some door contacts, plus a smoke detector. Also some key fobs to make setting and disabling the alarm easy without having to use the panel. Works a treat, no bother with it at all. The system tells you when any batteries need changing. Impressed with the flexibility of programming various zones etc. Really great value for money I think.

Bob

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:34 pm

Interested in answer to this also, I'm looking at ones with app control an notification
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Ethelred

Post by Ethelred » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:05 pm

Hello Mike, We have a Yale wireless alarm, fitted over ten years ago and it still works well, fitted several extra proximity switches and pirs. I did drop one of the door proximity switches and it broke, but easy to fit a replacement and code in. Only issue I have is that last year we had two families of swifts take up residence under the eaves, one of the nests actually sits on the external alarm and the little buggers sometimes set it off when they land, obviously the tamper setting is fairly easy to set off. If there is any chance of swifts in your area, suggest mounting the external alarm say two feet down from the soffit, that way, unless you have giant swifts, the nest would be clear of the alarm.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:12 pm

Cheers peeps..

Mike

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:56 pm

Prefer hard wired for various reasons,but wireless kits do serve a purpose.(Downsides are ability t block wireless signals,and render it useless).

As for wired kits,ADE/Honeywell(as per your Optima would be),and Texecom are what I use,the Latter for more advanced sensors,speech diallers etc,and bigger systems,the former for small houses/more basic systems,combined with Texecom pirs :thumbsup:
Personal preference :D
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:12 am

Also have a Yale wireless (10 years) and works a treat, easy to install and use.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:53 am

Yale wireless here too..works well, no false alarms, childs play to fit :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:50 am

Mike,
The Yale and pre packaged kits are for the Domestic and DIY market. Afterall, whilst B&Q, etc sell them, you'll notice they don't use them to protect their own stores...
I would suggest that you look at the Texecom Premier Range, offering from 8 zones up to 48 with the use of 8 zone expander units. These Expanders can be hardwired or wireless allowing you to have both sorts of PIR's on the system. The also have have a rikochet range of wireless PIR's which reflect off each other so the PIR at the furthest point from the Control panel uses all of those on the way back to boost and repeat it's signal.

These panels also offer every sort of Communications option from auto dialler/text to digi, GSM and IP methods.

I've fitted these and have full remote control software (Wintex) that allows me to program set, reset and diagnose and issues, remotely from anywhere. :thumbsup:

Alan
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:06 am

Number5 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:50 amMike,
The Yale and pre packaged kits are for the Domestic and DIY market. Afterall, whilst B&Q, etc sell them, you'll notice they don't use them to protect their own stores...
I would suggest that you look at the Texecom Premier Range, offering from 8 zones up to 48 with the use of 8 zone expander units. These Expanders can be hardwired or wireless allowing you to have both sorts of PIR's on the system. The also have have a rikochet range of wireless PIR's which reflect off each other so the PIR at the furthest point from the Control panel uses all of those on the way back to boost and repeat it's signal.

These panels also offer every sort of Communications option from auto dialler/text to digi, GSM and IP methods.

I've fitted these and have full remote control software (Wintex) that allows me to program set, reset and diagnose and issues, remotely from anywhere. :thumbsup:

Alan
Exactly what I use,Allan.
Used Texecom stuff for years,good kit.
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:36 am

Number5 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:50 amMike,

Alan
:thumbsup:

TBH Alan, I've decided to hardwire it, just ordered a mid range Texecom panel with remote KP, one more thing to add to the list of "to-do's" lol.

Mike

Post by sticky » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:50 am

Boerboel dog, burglars might get in but nobody is leaving, and very family orientated :D

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:03 pm

sticky wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:50 amBoerboel dog, burglars might get in but nobody is leaving, and very family orientated :D
My friend and neighbour had one that was crossed with an Akita - She was HUGE, with a horrendously ferocious bark, but soft as a puppy with the kids, here she is on our drive with my AJ..

Sadly she died last year.
2011-08-15 14.07.45-1.jpg
2011-08-15 14.07.45-1.jpg (127.24 KiB) Viewed 857 times
Mike

Post by sticky » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:13 pm

I was given a Boerboel by a mate to look after while he did time 25 years ago I had no clue I just thought it was a BIG Rotweiler then it grew and grew. Our local postie recognised it. Wish I had the space for a couple, really caring dogs, just scary to others

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:32 pm

Just bought the Yale one myself

Smart home view and control kit.

Great piece of kit and super easy to install. Easy to add to a smart home set up with cameras and all controled via Alexa or google home.

If it detects a wireless blocker it will automatically set the alarm off.

The main thing for me after being burgled last year is it just letting you know somethings going on so you can call the police and take action quickly.

An alarm on its own is pointless as to most people it’s an inconvieneince and anoying and they won’t do anything about it.