Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Laptop & Windows 10 help

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Laptop & Windows 10 help

Post by TitanTim » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:25 am

Buckz wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:36 am Yup windows 10 will speed it up.. but also see it you can pop an SSD drive in there. That'll transform the performance of it.
Many thanks, will have a look, should be hopefully easy to do as I've had the back off before now to clean the fans.

Tim.

Vonlipvig

Laptop & Windows 10 help

Post by Vonlipvig » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:27 am

Double check the graphics card driver support. I had to put an old amd 3770 back in my windows 10 machine and it is not supported on by amd with drivers. They did release some old drivers downloadable through windows update but not direct from amd. They did work just didnt give you all the features of up to date software and struggelled with programs using modern features.
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Laptop & Windows 10 help

Post by TitanTim » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Vonlipvig wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:27 am Double check the graphics card driver support. I had to put an old amd 3770 back in my windows 10 machine and it is not supported on by amd with drivers. They did release some old drivers downloadable through windows update but not direct from amd. They did work just didnt give you all the features of up to date software and struggelled with programs using modern features.
Thanks for this.

This is what I was worried about re Graphics Card and why I thought I'd post the question. I've done some Googling earlier and it looks like the graphics card I have installed doesn't meet the minimum requirements for Windows 10

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... eries.aspx

I'm guessing this means when installing Windows 10 it won't recognise the graphics card? Is this correct or will it simply install new drivers that will work with the card? Unsure.

Would enabling Windows Update allow it to automatically detect and install the correct display driver version?

Tim.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Laptop & Windows 10 help

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:38 pm

TitanTim wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:31 pm
Vonlipvig wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:27 am Double check the graphics card driver support. I had to put an old amd 3770 back in my windows 10 machine and it is not supported on by amd with drivers. They did release some old drivers downloadable through windows update but not direct from amd. They did work just didnt give you all the features of up to date software and struggelled with programs using modern features.
Thanks for this.

This is what I was worried about re Graphics Card and why I thought I'd post the question. I've done some Googling earlier and it looks like the graphics card I have installed doesn't meet the minimum requirements for Windows 10

I'm guessing this means when installing Windows 10 it won't recognise the graphics card? Is this correct or will it simply install new drivers that will work with the card? Unsure.

Would enabling Windows Update allow it to automatically detect and install the correct display driver version?

Tim.
IRC, Iit installed the basic graphics driver, as there isn't a Win10 certified one, and then I changed it to one selected from the available list. Similar to the procedure described here: https://community.amd.com/thread/185041

This worked fine for me.

Mike

Vonlipvig

Laptop & Windows 10 help

Post by Vonlipvig » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:31 pm

Have a check on amds site, Mike's work around will work but the windows update centre is what I did as the legacy driver was released to microsoft to enable it. Cant remember where i found out the info mind you and at work atm and have since replaced the card so not setup lile that anymore.

There appear to be solutions so good luck with it. I would use it as an excuse for a new machine, but that's because I want one for VR :thumbsup:

Edit: just seen the link you posted says the driver is available through windows downloads
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Laptop & Windows 10 help

Post by TitanTim » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:34 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:38 pm
TitanTim wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:31 pm
Thanks for this.

Tim.
IRC, Iit installed the basic graphics driver, as there isn't a Win10 certified one, and then I changed it to one selected from the available list. Similar to the procedure described here: https://community.amd.com/thread/185041

This worked fine for me.

Mike
Thanks Mike, I've had a read from the link you gave. So when installing windiws 10 it will install basic graphics driver is this enough to get me up and running in windows 10 so I can then download the legacy driver? Just worried if I install windows 10 it will screw the laptop and won't be able to download what I need.

Thankjs again,

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Laptop & Windows 10 help

Post by TitanTim » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:38 pm

Vonlipvig wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:31 pm Have a check on amds site, Mike's work around will work but the windows update centre is what I did as the legacy driver was released to microsoft to enable it. Cant remember where i found out the info mind you and at work atm and have since replaced the card so not setup lile that anymore.

There appear to be solutions so good luck with it. I would use it as an excuse for a new machine, but that's because I want one for VR :thumbsup:

Edit: just seen the link you posted says the driver is available through windows downloads
many thanks, I'm a little betwixed between giving it a go with nothing to lose except screwing the laptop or it working and save getting a new one. End of the day its not the end of the world and I can put Vista back on for the time being.

Tim.

Vonlipvig

Laptop & Windows 10 help

Post by Vonlipvig » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:19 pm

TitanTim wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:38 pm
Vonlipvig wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:31 pm Have a check on amds site, Mike's work around will work but the windows update centre is what I did as the legacy driver was released to microsoft to enable it. Cant remember where i found out the info mind you and at work atm and have since replaced the card so not setup lile that anymore.

many thanks, I'm a little betwixed between giving it a go with nothing to lose except screwing the laptop or it working and save getting a new one. End of the day its not the end of the world and I can put Vista back on for the time being.

Tim.
It will work without any drivers installed and the windows update will take car of the rest. I would make sure you have a recovery disk or vista available to reinstall if you have any real problems. If it doesn't work, not sure you can get a refund on windows 10 so might lose the money for it, but worth checking.

All in all, i think there are enough solutions that it would work
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Laptop & Windows 10 help

Post by TitanTim » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:43 pm

Vonlipvig wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:19 pm
TitanTim wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:38 pm

Tim.
It will work without any drivers installed and the windows update will take car of the rest. I would make sure you have a recovery disk or vista available to reinstall if you have any real problems. If it doesn't work, not sure you can get a refund on windows 10 so might lose the money for it, but worth checking.

All in all, i think there are enough solutions that it would work
Thanks ever so much, appreciate your help. Will give it a go and see how it goes. I've been looking at replacement DELL XPS laptops but theyre not cheap, been really pleased with DELL up to now so would prefer a work around for the moment.

Tim.

markalp

Laptop & Windows 10 help

Post by markalp » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:21 pm

TitanTim wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:42 pm Hi all,

Hope someone more knowlegeable can shout up :)

I have a DELL XPS 17 laptop which is 8 years old and I've been soldiering on using Vista and going from web browser to web browser as they slowly stop working with Vista. I'm currently using Firefox which is starting to struggle, they stopped supporting Vista earlier in the year. Its mainly plugin issues when playing videos or using more intensive webpages. I've tried Lunascape and Opera which I understand still support Vista but having problems dowloading them for some reason.

My options are to simply get a new laptop, however I love this DELL as it has the 16.4 inch screen and is just so well made, think it was around 1700 quid new and still looks and runs like new.

Before looking at replacing the laptop is there the option of installing Windows10?

Dells spec is Intel R Core 2 Duo CPU 3.06ghz processor wih 4GB Ram and Mobility Radeon HD 3670 graphics.

I think the processor and RAM are ok to run windows 10 but unsure on the graphics card? does any one know if it would be a straight install or am I wasting my time on an older laptop?

Thanks,

Tim.
If I remember correctly the XPS 17 of that era had upgradable memory, so what I would do is..
1. Create a bootable USB Win10 Install stick.
2. Open up the back of the laptop
3. Install a 8GB ram upgrade
4. Swap the old HDD with a nice new SSD
5. Install Win10 safe in the knowledge that you can always pop the old HDD back in if it all goes pearshaped.

I always do a fresh install rather than an upgrade, just cuts down on the number of potential problems.
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Laptop & Windows 10 help

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:00 pm

Surely all this is a waste of time and money on an 8 year old laptop. I as good as throw mine away every 4 years and mid life upgrade the memory
My current laptop cost £250 for HP 17", has Win 10 preinstalled and as it hit it's second birthday I added 4gb memory to take it to 8 and it's fine for another couple then retired to a garage diagnostics tool

Some of the suggestions amount to more than the cost of a laptop
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Laptop & Windows 10 help

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:04 pm

cj10jeeper wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:00 pm Surely all this is a waste of time and money on an 8 year old laptop. I as good as throw mine away every 4 years and mid life upgrade the memory
My current laptop cost £250 for HP 17", has Win 10 preinstalled and as it hit it's second birthday I added 4gb memory to take it to 8 and it's fine for another couple then retired to a garage diagnostics tool

Prob is, a new equiv Dell XPS is around £1700, and afaik, they no longer make it in 17", which is the problem I had with replacing mine after I backed the XC90 over it :x Wife's fault, she took the backpack containing it out with the shopping, and left it resting against the bumper, as I was waiting to back up to the garage....

Now replaced with a Panasonic Toughbook CF-31, so that won't happen again!

Mike

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Laptop & Windows 10 help

Post by TitanTim » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:14 pm

cj10jeeper wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:00 pm Surely all this is a waste of time and money on an 8 year old laptop. I as good as throw mine away every 4 years and mid life upgrade the memory

Not really if the laptop is perfectly usable then why replace it. So long as it will run the latest operating system which is all I will be paying for it saves replacing it altogether. Depends what you want, the Dell I have is nicely made, aluminium and leather encased so if I replaced it I would want the same for long term use for which they're not cheap. I think mine around was aro7nd 1600 when I bought it 8 years back. Sure I could buy a cheap laptop but I doubt it would last. The cases usually crack or fall apart.

Also as Mike pointed out DELL don't do the XPS in a 17 anymore which is a shame as my laptop doubles as my home desktop so a 15 inch would be an absolute minimum.

Tim.
Last edited by TitanTim on Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Laptop & Windows 10 help

Post by TitanTim » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:19 pm

markalp wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:21 pm
TitanTim wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:42 pm Hi all,

Hope someone more knowlegeable can shout up :)

I have a DELL XPS 17 laptop which is 8 years old and I've been soldiering on using Vista and going from web browser to web browser as they slowly stop working with Vista. I'm currently using Firefox which is starting to struggle, they stopped supporting Vista earlier in the year. Its mainly plugin issues when playing videos or using more intensive webpages. I've tried Lunascape and Opera which I understand still support Vista but having problems dowloading them for some reason.

My options are to simply get a new laptop, however I love this DELL as it has the 16.4 inch screen and is just so well made, think it was around 1700 quid new and still looks and runs like new.

Before looking at replacing the laptop is there the option of installing Windows10?

Dells spec is Intel R Core 2 Duo CPU 3.06ghz processor wih 4GB Ram and Mobility Radeon HD 3670 graphics.

I think the processor and RAM are ok to run windows 10 but unsure on the graphics card? does any one know if it would be a straight install or am I wasting my time on an older laptop?

Thanks,

Tim.
If I remember correctly the XPS 17 of that era had upgradable memory, so what I would do is..
1. Create a bootable USB Win10 Install stick.
2. Open up the back of the laptop
3. Install a 8GB ram upgrade
4. Swap the old HDD with a nice new SSD
5. Install Win10 safe in the knowledge that you can always pop the old HDD back in if it all goes pearshaped.

I always do a fresh install rather than an upgrade, just cuts down on the number of potential problems.
Thanks Mark, I may look into this but I've ordered Windows 10 today which will come on a stick and install it and see how things perform. I've got an external HDD and have backed everything up today so I can wipe the laptop clean. If it needs a performance boost I'll look at some RAM increase and a new HDD :)

Tim.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Laptop & Windows 10 help

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:23 pm

Sure - I've had nice Sony laptops that cost £1500, but you're just chasing an endless chain of memory, HD, graphics, processor speed, OS upgrades, etc.
It all becomes obsolete, even if the case is nice and you like the laptop. I used to do this years ago with base stations and build in new components as I could afford them, but laptops are so cheap and certainly no need to spend £1700, certainly not for the sort of performance expectation an 8 year old laptop can keep up with

A basic HP is <£200 so it's disposable
Just my 2p worth
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills