Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

RIP Sir Clive Sinclair

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Colin_E

RIP Sir Clive Sinclair

Post by Colin_E » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:59 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58587521
Sorry to read this. I always rather admired this guy. Often managed not to get things quite right (that "car") but had some ideas that were pretty groundbreaking for their time.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

RIP Sir Clive Sinclair

Post by Pondrew » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:15 pm

Colin_E wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:59 pm Often managed not to get things quite right (that "car")
Seriously?
Have you forgotten abut the Sinclair ZX80, 81 and Spectrum? The first truly 'home computers'.
The man was a genius and has probably shaped our modern world much more than he was ever given credit for.
RIP Clive :( :(
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

RIP Sir Clive Sinclair

Post by GuidoK » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:24 pm

RIP

Both the zx81 and the spectrum had quite an influence on my life in the early/mid 80's as a kid.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

RIP Sir Clive Sinclair

Post by craig3.2 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:25 pm

Rip Sir Clive Sinclair....loved his zx spectrum computers. Set the trend for Atari at etc layer on,and as said, first true home computer for many folks.
The c5 was a riot,not safe,but ahead of its time,lol
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Colin_E

RIP Sir Clive Sinclair

Post by Colin_E » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:35 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:15 pm
Colin_E wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:59 pm Often managed not to get things quite right (that "car")
Seriously?
Have you forgotten abut the Sinclair ZX80, 81 and Spectrum? The first truly 'home computers'.
The man was a genius and has probably shaped our modern world much more than he was ever given credit for.
RIP Clive :( :(
Not at all. I admire his genius too. But he brought things to market with flaws. He admitted as much himself. I was the geek back in the day who bought so many of them. The little thermal printer, the microdrives that self-destructed and the quirky but brilliant QL that ICL remarketed as the 'One Per Desk'. No disrespect intended.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

RIP Sir Clive Sinclair

Post by ronk » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:43 am

A clever man who was ahead of his times.

However I bought one of his Scientific Calculators in the late 70´s When the other fellas were then using log tables I was flash Harry with a calculator. :thumbsup:
I completed a set of calculations not really knowing what a proper result should have looked like. I was then called into the Chief Engineers Office to have my results questioned.

The Chief Engineer entered 45° sin then cos then tan — he then went backwards from those results and the answer shown was 67° 49‘. a wee bit of an error i would say. Calculators now go back to 45°

I never trusted it after that!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

RIP Sir Clive Sinclair

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:46 am

So has he died, or just suffered a terminal error?

He'll be up at the pearly gates now, pressed Enter hours ago and still waiting patiently for something to happen! :roll:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

RIP Sir Clive Sinclair

Post by Jembo » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:25 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:46 am So has he died, or just suffered a terminal error?

He'll be up at the pearly gates now, pressed Enter hours ago and still waiting patiently for something to happen! :roll:
Unless he saw the light & took one of PVR’s Digigate gizmos with him
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

beanie

RIP Sir Clive Sinclair

Post by beanie » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:19 am

The C5 may have been ridiculed at the time but the expansion and acceptance of alternative personal mobility has made it more relevant than ever. Even Microcars are coming back and making more and more sense.

At least he got to see his vision proved right, even if he wasn’t the one to make it a reality
RUBYIMOLACARBON

buzyg
Legend
Legend

RIP Sir Clive Sinclair

Post by buzyg » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:53 pm

RIP Sir Clive. Too often busy on the next great idea to get the last one sorted. A very clever engineer. :thumbsup:

Oddly for a Nerd of the late 70's early 80's, I don't think I ever bought any thing that he designed though. :o

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

RIP Sir Clive Sinclair

Post by ronk » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:00 pm

I think he was limited by the technology available at the time- perhaps if he had been doing what he was doing during these times there might be a different story to write?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

RIP Sir Clive Sinclair

Post by buzyg » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:43 am

ronk wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:00 pm I think he was limited by the technology available at the time- perhaps if he had been doing what he was doing during these times there might be a different story to write?
He just needed a dragon type to sort the selling bit out. Hard for such a man to let someone like that it on the act I imagine. He left his mark all the same. :thumbsup: