Is cash not King anymore?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Armscarf

Post by Armscarf » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:12 am

Zedebee wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:51 pm I bought a brand new car around twenty grand for family duty a couple of years ago. The salesman would barely give me a couple of hundred quid off the list price but said if I took it on finance I could get a three grand “dealer contribution”. I reckoned with the interest it would work out at roughly the same price. Then he said I could pay off the finance any time I wanted without penalty. I read the terms of the agreement and this was indeed the case. So I took the discount, signed the finance agreement and then paid it off before the first payment was due. Net result was three grand off which I couldn’t have got with cash; and all because, I guess, the salesman got a hefty commission on selling the finance package.
I'm sure that was the case, I would guess that the commission wasn't very hefty but targets are everything these days and that's where the salesman's bonus would come from.
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:26 am

I think cash is also viewed with suspicion, counterfeit etc.

Tim.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:17 pm

The only real bargains now are pre-registered cars a dealership needs to shift between 4-6 months old... last two cars I’ve bought have been between 55-65% off list price for one with 200 & the other with just 16 miles on the clock.

If there wasn’t the constant threat of one of the high street Banks or the FS infrastructure being brought to its knees, we’d been in a cashless society years ago
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Ole gits rule

Post by Ole gits rule » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:56 pm

Originally bought the Z4 by part exchanging my AR Spider and eventually sold it for a few quid more expecting to get a few hundred of the Z4 for cash and guess what - no chance, they would not drop a penny.
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White

Is Mr whippy staying?