Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New MOT Rules

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
MJJamieson

New MOT Rules

Post by MJJamieson » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:23 pm

Major changes to the MOT test on 20th of May 2018
Some of you may have already heard that there are big changes coming to the MOT test this May. Here are just a few of the biggest changes that are most likely to affect you. Please take these with a pinch of salt as nothing will be finalised until the end of April and will probably still be subject to change after that date. Remember it will take your MOT tester time to get up to speed with these too!
So...
Advisories are being replaced with minor fails. These are all pre written & approved by DVSA. You will still get a pass but they will be noted on your test certificate. Manual advisories are still being worked out but may disappear completely.
Those of you who have changed your standard headlight bulbs for HID's will now get a major fail even if the aim is correct. It has always been an offence to fit HID bulbs to halogen headlamps so the MOT is now in line with that.
Reverse lights are now part of the MOT for any car registered from 1st September 2009 (59 plate onwards). Daytime running lamps (DRL's) & front fog lamps must work on vehicles registered from March 2018 (18 plate onwards).
Engine Management Light is now a major fail. It must come on with the ignition and then turn off when the engine is started.
Brake pad warning lights are a major fail
Handbrake with excessive travel is now a major fail. Before it would only a fail if there was no reserve travel.
Contaminated (dirty) brake fluid is a major fail. Not sure how that will work as the MOT tester isn't allowed to remove the fluid cap.
Oil leaks (engine, gearbox etc.) can be a major failure if they are deemed large enough.
It seems they have removed the failure for tyres not being fitted according to sidewall instructions. Inner/outer or rotation incorrect.
Any modifications/removal to emissions related devices, this includes DPF'S and EGR's is now a major fail.
Where a DPF canister has clearly been cut open and re-welded, it will now fail.
A vehicle fitted with a DPF that emits any kind of visible smoke during the metered test will now fail
Emissions limits for diesels registered on or after 1st of January 2014 have been reduced. All diesels will now need to pass the limit that was set by the manufacturer when the car was new. This can be found on the VIN plate. For example the current limit for your diesel car may be 1.50. That could change to as low as 0.30 with the new rules.
These are just some of the bigger changes to the MOT test the average motorist is likely to be affected by. There are dozens, perhaps even over 100 changes to the actual MOT test and to the way testers record tests on the MOT computer. Please remember these are all subject to change in the coming months and remember spare a thought for your MOT tester before you say...
"Well it passed like that last year!"
Source - https://www.gov.uk/…/mot-special-notice ... pection-ma
2004 E85 Z4 2.5i SE Sterling Grey.

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

New MOT Rules

Post by RickRob » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:43 pm

The MOT month is always a fun time - not!

The one about the tyres being fitted "inside out" being OK strikes me as strange.

Good luck everyone!
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

New MOT Rules

Post by ph001 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:45 pm

The brake fluid one made me chuckle!
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

New MOT Rules

Post by buzyg » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:59 pm

Always baffled me that you could pass with an engine management fault.

bluespit

New MOT Rules

Post by bluespit » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:20 pm

and 40 plus year old cars no longer need an MOT at all - so my 1974 stag will not need to be mot'd ever again. Crazy!
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

Paulr

New MOT Rules

Post by Paulr » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:38 pm

If you have a VW, the emissions stated are now proven to be fraudulent. How are owners going to manage to get the emissions back to the figure on the VIN plate if it was falsified in the first instance?
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

Nick_in_Suffolk

New MOT Rules

Post by Nick_in_Suffolk » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:26 am

bluespit wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:20 pmand 40 plus year old cars no longer need an MOT at all - so my 1974 stag will not need to be mot'd ever again. Crazy!
Slightly mad, I agree. Our two classics will benefit from this but they neither travel much more than 1k a year and always get a full service every year.
G29 S30i in SFR - my wife's car and her third Z
BMW M2C - gone, replaced with an i4, but its only use is shopping, the Z is our main touring vehicle

Long gone, but not forgotten - 1988 E30 M3

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

New MOT Rules

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:49 am

Paulr wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:38 pmIf you have a VW, the emissions stated are now proven to be fraudulent. How are owners going to manage to get the emissions back to the figure on the VIN plate if it was falsified in the first instance?
I thought vw was recalling every effected car to remap back to oe spec?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ScoobyR1

New MOT Rules

Post by ScoobyR1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:34 am

Re. The emissions test, adds further weight behind the political shift by the government away from diesel engine cars. Great way to remove them from the road without having punitive legislation to be a "vote loser".

Cynical? Moi!? :poke:
'03 Titan Silver 3.0 auto. Hand controls, CC, MFSW CSL reps, H&R ARB's, :thumbsup:

Now sold '03 Sterling grey 2.5 E85 :(

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

New MOT Rules

Post by firebobby » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:44 pm

bluespit wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:20 pmand 40 plus year old cars no longer need an MOT at all - so my 1974 stag will not need to be mot'd ever again. Crazy!
I know they were looking into this, so they have confirmed it will be happening ?. As it stands, pre 1960's vehicles are exempt.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

New MOT Rules

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:12 pm

Can at last see the muppets in corsas and the like with badly installed HID kits having some action taken against them, always wonder why the plod don't stop them as it's blatantly obvious when someone behind you has a set fitted. The glare some of them give off is downright danferous.

Latest MOT testers manual; https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -draft.pdf

Mike

bluespit

New MOT Rules

Post by bluespit » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:04 pm

firebobby wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:44 pm
I know they were looking into this, so they have confirmed it will be happening ?. As it stands, pre 1960's vehicles are exempt.
Yes currently just pre 1960 but from May it’s rolling 40years. Thing is there is a huge difference between the two in terms of size, performance and complexity. Pre 1960, lots of cars still had cable or rod brakes, separate chassis, 50 bhp if you were lucky. The engineering boom of the 60-70s saw monocoque construction, multivalve fuel injected engines regularly giving 120 plus bhp, spilt circuit hydraulic brakes and a significant increase in weight.

Lots of classic chaps will get a classic friendly garage to so an annual safety check, a sort of period correct MOT. Itmwont be long before an accident occurs and the untested classic is found to be in an unroadworthy and dangerous condition. The safety check won’t stop the accident but at least it provides some sort of measure of maintenance. (At the time of testing obviously)

I don’t know of many classic owners who are in favour of scrapping the annual MoT in some form or other
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

Crazy Harry

New MOT Rules

Post by Crazy Harry » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:11 pm

bluespit wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:04 pm
firebobby wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:44 pm
Yes currently just pre 1960 but from May it’s rolling 40years. Thing is there is a huge difference between the two in terms of size, performance and complexity. Pre 1960, lots of cars still had cable or rod brakes, separate chassis, 50 bhp if you were lucky. The engineering boom of the 60-70s saw monocoque construction, multivalve fuel injected engines regularly giving 120 plus bhp, spilt circuit hydraulic brakes and a significant increase in weight.

Lots of classic chaps will get a classic friendly garage to so an annual safety check, a sort of period correct MOT. Itmwont be long before an accident occurs and the untested classic is found to be in an unroadworthy and dangerous condition. The safety check won’t stop the accident but at least it provides some sort of measure of maintenance. (At the time of testing obviously)

I don’t know of many classic owners who are in favour of scrapping the annual MoT in some form or other
I think we can expect a lot of classics getting a tug from the cops. My oldest car is 1938 so MOT exempt but my understanding is that should I be instructed to take it for test; or have it inspected at the roadside by VOSA then it should still be in condition where it would pass.

More worrying is that I have late 68 landrover and 71 mini which are under restoration and could now go back on the road with no checks at all - but if I built a kit car I would need a SVA

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

New MOT Rules

Post by firebobby » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:20 pm

Crazy Harry wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:11 pm
bluespit wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:04 pm
firebobby wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:44 pm I know they were looking into this, so they have confirmed it will be happening ?. As it stands, pre 1960's vehicles are exempt.

I think we can expect a lot of classics getting a tug from the cops. My oldest car is 1938 so MOT exempt but my understanding is that should I be instructed to take it for test; or have it inspected at the roadside by VOSA then it should still be in condition where it would pass.

More worrying is that I have late 68 landrover and 71 mini which are under restoration and could now go back on the road with no checks at all - but if I built a kit car I would need a SVA
Same here with my 1972 GT6, which has been off the road since 1988 :|
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

markalp

New MOT Rules

Post by markalp » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:43 pm

Finally they are going to do something about those blinding aftermarket HIDs.. Now they just need to educate other drivers to keep the OEM ones dipped low enough to not blind other drivers.
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030