Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dash Cam legal question?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by Nictrix » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Russ59 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:58 am
jampudding wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:23 am There is a clip of a motorbike doing around 90mph in a 50mph zone. The rider has a helmet cam which captures his speed and his narration. As he comes over a hill an old man pulls out to turn right, and the motorbike slams into the car and the rider dies - just prior to the impact you can hear him saying "no, no, no..". Anyway despite the riders speed the car driver was prosecuted for not driving with due care and attention. I will try and find the clip.

Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZCadhDW_i0

s**t, that made me jump on impact, one reason I have given up bike riding.
I saw that video a while ago and it is horrible. He was doing so many things that could have been seen as wrong but hindsight is a wonderful thing. He was speeding while approaching a junction, had one hand on the bars moments before, and when the car cut across he steered into it instead of aiming behind the car which may have saved him.

I think it is only a matter of time before cars come out of the factory with cameras fitted to them and it will be the first thing that insurance companies ask for in the event of an accident.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

VRSteve

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by VRSteve » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:53 pm

pvr wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:49 pmThe worry is that if you are on a Z trip for example, anyone's recording can be used to send a NIP to you. It is the busybodies paradise at the moment.
This is why I don't use cameras!!
Too much risk of them being used against me.
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

zedwheels

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by zedwheels » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:00 pm

WoW, I am more confused now! The video of the bike crash and then prosecute the car driver is something the law would do anyway but if the biker had survived my guess would be he would have had a ban and no insurance cover? and its that what started me thinking about a cam with GPS/Speed. I know that if a bump is serious enough thy can calculate all the info they need, but most knocks are not that serious enough to cause injury so would you be able to use the vid as evidence for your insurance company anyway if it shows them that you were over the limit because they will want a claim form and that will show the road where it happens ect. Think I will go without the GPS after all and enjoy a :driving: now and again.

Thanks all for your opinions its been a valuable post. :thumbsup:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by Marlon » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:58 pm

My daughter is a solicitor dealing with motor insurance companies and is always relieved when the car is fitted with a dash cam because the recordings are admissible in court and because they usually clear up any conflicting accounts of the accident.
She also says its amazing the number of drivers who submit their own recordings believing that the footage proves their case when in fact its quite obvious that they were fully or partially to blame.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

zedwheels

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by zedwheels » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:20 pm

Marlon wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:58 pm My daughter is a solicitor dealing with motor insurance companies and is always relieved when the car is fitted with a dash cam because the recordings are admissible in court and because they usually clear up any conflicting accounts of the accident.
She also says its amazing the number of drivers who submit their own recordings believing that the footage proves their case when in fact its quite obvious that they were fully or partially to blame.
From someone who is involved and knowledgeable in these cases then would she think it better not to have a dash cam in the first place?
Do you have one Marlon?

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by Marlon » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:28 pm

zedwheels wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:20 pm
Marlon wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:58 pm My daughter is a solicitor dealing with motor insurance companies and is always relieved when the car is fitted with a dash cam because the recordings are admissible in court and because they usually clear up any conflicting accounts of the accident.
From someone who is involved and knowledgeable in these cases then would she think it better not to have a dash cam in the first place?
Do you have one Marlon?
I don't have one, good question - I'll txt her

EDIT: she says, in her opinion, on balance they are worth having (that was the short version) :thumbsup:
911 997 Carrera S

pvr
Legend
Legend

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by pvr » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:46 pm

Marlon wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:28 pm
Do you have one Marlon?

EDIT: she says, in her opinion, on balance they are worth having (that was the short version) :thumbsup:
.. followed by the Christmas wishlist of course :lol:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by Marlon » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:51 pm

pvr wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:46 pm
Marlon wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:28 pm

Do you have one Marlon?

.. followed by the Christmas wishlist of course :lol:
Yeah :D from what she was saying it's a rare gift when there's actual footage of the accident - usually gets scraps of paper with crap drawings of the accident and even worse descriptions :)
911 997 Carrera S

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by ronk » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:24 am

If you have a dash cam and are involved in an accident and assuming it’s your fault, is there any compulsion to hand over this self incriminating evidence?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by Marlon » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:29 am

ronk wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:24 am If you have a dash cam and are involved in an accident and assuming it’s your fault, is there any compulsion to hand over this self incriminating evidence?
I don't think there is ronk - will double check tomorrow
911 997 Carrera S

Steve84N

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by Steve84N » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:12 am

In my experience so far at least half the people running dash cams drive like crap themselves. They are often the slow ones sitting in the outside lane forever or crawling out of junctions in front of you, not indicating etc. Then when you dispatch them they get all high and mighty with flashing and swearing.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by Nictrix » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:22 am

Steve84N wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:12 am In my experience so far at least half the people running dash cams drive like crap themselves. They are often the slow ones sitting in the outside lane forever or crawling out of junctions in front of you, not indicating etc. Then when you dispatch them they get all high and mighty with flashing and swearing.
Seen a lot of this myself. It seems the people who think they are good drivers are actually the worst ones out there.
I had a camera fixed to my bike for a few months and eventually removed it and sold it. I felt that in the event of an accident, whether the actual accident was my fault or not, anything else that was recorded that day could possibly get myself into trouble.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by kis » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:02 am

For what its worth I'm sure you can have a short video loop so that any footage which isn't desired is quickly over-written. From my research you get event modes which will record and store footage in a accident, and I'm sure you get a manual event capture mode as well which stores so much footage on the press of a button.

I think they are more useful than not, so I plan on getting one. Had a few close calls and rather have evidence to support me when the time comes, no doubt it will. It's just a matter of time! Even if it's just in a car park, E70 took an impact to the O/S front bumper in a tight car park a few weeks ago and it's not just transfer. So will require touch up and a repaint. That s**t ain't cheap when it's not even your fault.
Marlon wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:29 am
ronk wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:24 am If you have a dash cam and are involved in an accident and assuming it’s your fault, is there any compulsion to hand over this self incriminating evidence?
I don't think there is ronk - will double check tomorrow
I'd like to know this too!
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

EssexZed

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by EssexZed » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:20 am

pvr wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:49 pm
ronk wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:06 pm I seem to remember reading that dash cam evidence is not admissible in a court?
It is, and not just in court either. My daughter got a NIP based on dashcam footage for crossing a solid line overtaking a very slow moving vehicle (as the last in a string of cars overtaking it).

Absolute offense, so even though you can take it to court etc and ensure that the owner of the dashcam has to attend as well, you have little defense as you can only overtake an agricultural vehicle that is slow, not a car.

The worry is that if you are on a Z trip for example, anyone's recording can be used to send a NIP to you. It is the busybodies paradise at the moment.
More Police Forces are actively encouraging dash cam footage of dangerous driving to be submitted to them and are making it easier to do so. Last week the Essex Safer Roads Partnership launched their “Extra Eyes” appeal and have created a website where footage can be uploaded. https://saferessexroads.org/extraeyes/e ... what-next/ Self policing of the roads enabled by dash cam footage is obviously gathering momentum!

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:14 am

My father took some dash cam footage of dangerous driving to his local police station. They were very interested and would have prosecuted the driver except that it was more than two weeks after the event. Instead they visited the owner of the other vehicle and had a stern word.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone