Fitting 19" Alloys to a 3.0Si

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
T2FFN
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1855
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 9:04 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: Fitting 19" Alloys to a 3.0Si

Post by T2FFN » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Marius wrote:Image

19x9 front, 19x10 rear, no rubbing at all :!:
Try getting over speed bumps, access ramps etc without rubbing (either tyre vs arch or bumper/wheel guards vs floor).

I've just taken the FK springs off mine and replaced with Eibachs and Bilstein shocks and suddenly can smoothly drive over speed bumps without crashing and scraping :thumbsup:
3.0i

Marius
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:01 pm
Location: west sussex
Contact:

Re: Fitting 19" Alloys to a 3.0Si

Post by Marius » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:24 pm

T2FFN wrote:
Try getting over speed bumps, access ramps etc without rubbing (either tyre vs arch or bumper/wheel guards vs floor).

I've just taken the FK springs off mine and replaced with Eibachs and Bilstein shocks and suddenly can smoothly drive over speed bumps without crashing and scraping :thumbsup:

never had any issues
Image

User avatar
Mark-Z4
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:23 pm
Location: South West

Re: Fitting 19" Alloys to a 3.0Si

Post by Mark-Z4 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:57 pm

Yea sure :lol:
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6499
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:53 am
Location: High Peak,Derbyshire.

Re: Fitting 19" Alloys to a 3.0Si

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:00 am

:rofl:

User avatar
aquazi
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 8168
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:20 pm
Location: Derby + N. London

Re: Fitting 19" Alloys to a 3.0Si

Post by aquazi » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:30 am

i'm another on 19's with Eibachs. No rubbing with mine.. except when i scrape my front bumper on the drive/ speed bumps :headbang:

User avatar
Terryvision
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3487
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:35 pm

Re: Fitting 19" Alloys to a 3.0Si

Post by Terryvision » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:37 pm

Sorry to jump in would these sized alloys fit with 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 tyres?

Rears are 9.5J - 9.5J x19EH2 e36
Fronts are 8.5J - 8.5Jx19EH2 e34

I'm still a little confused about offsets....regardless of how many times I read about them... :headbang:

User avatar
aquazi
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 8168
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:20 pm
Location: Derby + N. London

Re: Fitting 19" Alloys to a 3.0Si

Post by aquazi » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:57 am

Those offsets would stick out more then stock - but still be flush, however with 235/35 front tyres and an e34 8.5 wide wheel i recon your fronts would rub the wheel arch lining.

User avatar
Terryvision
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3487
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:35 pm

Fitting 19" Alloys to a 3.0Si

Post by Terryvision » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:09 pm

aquazi wrote:Those offsets would stick out more then stock - but still be flush, however with 235/35 front tyres and an e34 8.5 wide wheel i recon your fronts would rub the wheel arch lining.
Do you think et38 front and rear would be ok? With 225/35/19 & 255/30/19

OR......Would et40 & et45 be better with that tyre combo?

User avatar
Mark-Z4
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:23 pm
Location: South West

Re: Fitting 19" Alloys to a 3.0Si

Post by Mark-Z4 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:55 am

Should be fine Terry..

http://www.wheelfitment.net/bmw
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby

gr3z
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:57 am

Re: Fitting 19" Alloys to a 3.0Si

Post by gr3z » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:11 am

Mark-Z4 wrote:Thanks for the replys.


At the moment the wheels I am most interested in are CS (CSL Reps) Y Spoke alloys with the extra deep dish on the rear. Done to death yes but look very natural on the Z4. They have an offset of 19" x 8.5" et38 front and 19" x 9.5" et45 rear.

I don't really know much about offset etc but the CS alloys are listed on BM Autosport as Z4 E85/86 fitment.

The other wheels I like are the BBS CX-R, but they expensive before even fitting tyres.


Tyre sizes i have looked at are 235/35/19 front and 265/30/19 rear. Not sure on which tyres yet, I'm going to give non-run flats a go I think.

I'm really interested these cls reps from bm autosport too, I've got the money ready to purchase but also worry about rubbing, I don't fancy lowering it either but also worry if it will look like its on stilts?? What shall I do?

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6499
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:53 am
Location: High Peak,Derbyshire.

Re: Fitting 19" Alloys to a 3.0Si

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:00 am

19" on any Z4 is a common upgrade...

Only when they are fitted do you know whether it will need lowering or not, and that is all down to the eye of the owner.
Many people don't lower them, but depends what look your going for.

I have fitted 19" on all 3 of my Z4's and lowered them all without problem .

gr3z
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:57 am

Re: Fitting 19" Alloys to a 3.0Si

Post by gr3z » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:17 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote:19" on any Z4 is a common upgrade...

Only when they are fitted do you know whether it will need lowering or not, and that is all down to the eye of the owner.
Many people don't lower them, but depends what look your going for.

I have fitted 19" on all 3 of my Z4's and lowered them all without problem .
To be honest I like the lowered look and do prefer it, however where I live its quite rural and i have to drive down a lane which is gravel and stone based with nasty potholes that get repaired every year but get bad in winter,its a toe path for part of the canal and if I go a little to quick now, it will bottom. Hence the reason for not lowering, I've read that if you just fit some eibach springs on standard shocks its not a very good ride and wrecks the shocks pretty quick, is this true?

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6499
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:53 am
Location: High Peak,Derbyshire.

Re: Fitting 19" Alloys to a 3.0Si

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:37 pm

No..Not true at all..

I also live in a rural area,my house is actually up a farm track and suprisingly,even though low non of my 3 Z's have ever bottomed out.

The Z4 springs are actually too stiff in OEM form,an aftermarket spring actually gives a more compliant ride.I actualy prefer H&R to Eibach,but thats a personal thing.

BUT what i would do is fit the wheels first and see how the car sits once settled,then calculate how far the car needs to be lowered as different spring companies have different lengths of spring...

Z4M roady on H&R

Image

3.0si coupe on Eibachs

Image

Z4M coupe on H&R

Image

gr3z
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:57 am

Re: Fitting 19" Alloys to a 3.0Si

Post by gr3z » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:04 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote:No..Not true at all..

I also live in a rural area,my house is actually up a farm track and suprisingly,even though low non of my 3 Z's have ever bottomed out.

The Z4 springs are actually too stiff in OEM form,an aftermarket spring actually gives a more compliant ride.I actualy prefer H&R to Eibach,but thats a personal thing.

BUT what i would do is fit the wheels first and see how the car sits once settled,then calculate how far the car needs to be lowered as different spring companies have different lengths of spring...

Z4M roady on H&R

Image

3.0si coupe on Eibachs

Image

Z4M coupe on H&R

Image
Thanks for the feedback and images... Must say they all look nice, what offset did you have on them?

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6499
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:53 am
Location: High Peak,Derbyshire.

Re: Fitting 19" Alloys to a 3.0Si

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Offsets are different on the rears of the M.....ET27.

Non M IIRC is ET35 all round..

Post Reply