Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacing run flats with normal tyres..

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
markprzeslawski

Replacing run flats with normal tyres..

Post by markprzeslawski » Fri May 18, 2012 10:53 pm

Hi guys,

I've tried searching for this topic but not really found any definiative answers...

Can normal tyres be fitted to wheels that have run flats on...?
Only i need to replace my rears soon and i wouldn't mind a slighty comfier ride, but i realise that a spare wheel would then be needed.

Thanks

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Fri May 18, 2012 11:01 pm

Best to get all 4 done & sell the other two RFT's - all about balance & in a sports car very important

One of the best things I did - am running Michelins, though Vreds & other main makes get good reviews, u won't look back.

markprzeslawski

Re: Replacing run flats with normal tyres..

Post by markprzeslawski » Fri May 18, 2012 11:12 pm

I thought replacing all 4 might be the answer, the fronts are brand new and the rears have a couple of thousand left in them. It's a tough call to make as i'm in no position to replace all 4...and then there's selling the run flats too.

Slightly off topic, but i'm looking to take off my door trim panels, in the quest of stopping the glass rattling...How difficult is removing the door cards? And what tools does this involve?

Thanks

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Fri May 18, 2012 11:29 pm

The bottom bits are easy, getting the top bits off are a nightmare.

I put dampening material to stop them being tinny & ended up wedging it open from underneath coz I just couldn't get them off. Don't try taking them off without the instructions as u need to be very careful with the airbags

Best of luck, am sure someone on fleabay will take yr RFT's off u

Citation 650

Post by Citation 650 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:48 pm

markprzeslawski

Post by markprzeslawski » Sat May 19, 2012 5:12 pm

Great, thanks for the link and advise, think it might be worth getting a haynes manual in that case...will always come in handy!

Back to the tyres situation....i think i read a post on here somewhere that some was running run flats and the front or rear and the normals at the opposite end...? Not sure which way round this was but they said it worked out quite well

I've got two brand new Bridgestone Potenza S001 on the front and its the rears that need to be replaced...

If anyone has any experience with this sorta dilema it would be great to hear from you!

Many thanks!

tom_ekn

Post by tom_ekn » Sat May 19, 2012 5:56 pm

I'm in the same position as you. Rears will need changing soon so going to go over to normal tires. From what I have read its best to do all four at the same time :cry:
2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

wegras

Post by wegras » Sat May 19, 2012 6:07 pm

tom_ekn wrote:I'm in the same position as you. Rears will need changing soon so going to go over to normal tires. From what I have read its best to do all four at the same time :cry:
Generally believed to be the correct procedure, RFT and normal tyres have very different characteristics .
Always worth considering the consequences of having an accident and the investigators finding tyres of different construction
and how that might be viewed regardless of those saying they do mix and the car handles "fine"
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat May 19, 2012 7:07 pm

I am sure this is answered elsewhere, but I may as well just ask - do you tell your insurers when you change to non-RFTs ?
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

wegras

Post by wegras » Sat May 19, 2012 8:17 pm

Bing wrote:I am sure this is answered elsewhere, but I may as well just ask - do you tell your insurers when you change to non-RFTs ?
IIRC Insurers all seem to have different views ,some say it is a change to OEM spec and is also not supported by the Manufacturer
Other seem not to be too worried .
However old issue is that if your Insurer is not of the it's OK school then in any claim situation you could find you are uninsured..................
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat May 19, 2012 8:38 pm

I think direct line may be ok - when I changed to winter wheels with non-RFTs they didn't bat an eyelid. I will ask them before spending £500 though :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Telstar

Post by Telstar » Sun May 20, 2012 12:46 am

I ran a 3 series with RFT on front and normal tyres on the rear with no problems. As long as you are no driving it like you stole it you will have no problems. You can tell in the ride over bumps etc but not when cornering, accelerating or braking.
I am in the tyre business and have found the Kuhmo to be an extremely good tyre far better than a Dunlop which I currently have on the rear of my M Coupe. If you want a dirt cheap price drop me a PM and I will have a look whats about, there is always 1 manfacturer got an offer on.
Z4MCOUPE 2007 Carbon Black

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun May 20, 2012 9:20 am

Non runflats are half the price of rfts if you go for something like Falken 452's which are a forum fav.

I changed all 4 then sold my fronts with 5mm for £130 to a forum member.

WizzEssex

Post by WizzEssex » Tue May 22, 2012 2:37 pm

I'm insured through the AA- they were not at all interested in my new NRF tyres as long as I had the right speed rating tyres.

Commando Mortician

Post by Commando Mortician » Wed May 23, 2012 2:12 am

This is the tire that I would have purchased, if I didn't decide to keep the Potenza's. I will replace the run flat tires when they are worn, and will replace them with this tire.

http://www.treaddepot.com/review/zrs3a.html