Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lowering question..

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
tom_ekn

Lowering question..

Post by tom_ekn » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi

Considering lowering my 2008 3.0 Z4 Coupe. Here is how it is sitting currently..

Have looked at the Eibach Pro-Kit, link below..

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performan ... owers-30mm

I'm looking to get some advise from people of have done this or have experience of doing it as to which springs are best, where to buy them and also any pro/cons to doing it?

Lastly having lowered cars before I know how much of a :headbang: it can be! So would probably like to take it to a garage to get them fitted professionally..?

Any advise would be great :thumbsup:

Thanks
Tom.
2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Bing
Legend
Legend

Re: Lowering question..

Post by Bing » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:54 pm

I have Eibachs sitting in the garage hiding until I can sneak them on, so I'll be watching this closely :popcorn:

For what it's worth, I was quoted (several times) about £200 incl VAT to fit... Then anywhere from £100 to £200 for the 4 wheel alignment that will be necessary after. I wouldn't even try to do them myself, but that's me... I'm afraid I don't know which subset of Eibachs mine are as they were third-hand, but I do know they'll fit :D

If your car is SE, which it looks like, they will lower it by 30mm. If it is a Sport then it's already 15mm lower, so it would go down another 15.

Plenty folk who have actually fitted them will give much better advice than me (I hope, as I'm watching :D )
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

tom_ekn

Post by tom_ekn » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:02 pm

Thanks for the info :thumbsup: Theres a local tyre garage that can do alignment at a fair price which is handy.

It is the SE so the 30mm drop will be nice! Hopefully someone else will be able to offer 'us' some advice :wink:

Tom.
2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:05 pm

I thought all 3.0 had sports suspension?
Anyone?

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:10 pm

Hmmm, could be about to look a prat here... I thought the Sport includes the M Sport suspension which is lower than standard ?
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:15 pm

Yes you are right it is lower but I thought I read somewhere on here all 3.0 cars had the sports suspension as standard so it might be me who looks a pratt :crazydude:

tom_ekn

Post by tom_ekn » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:16 pm

Bing wrote:Hmmm, could be about to look a prat here... I thought the Sport includes the M Sport suspension which is lower than standard ?
As far as I'm aware this is correct, the SE has the standard suspension...?

What is the difference between the standard and sports suspension? Just springs or dampers as well?

Tom.
2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Half Colin

Post by Half Colin » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:20 pm

Yep - the Sport has M Sport suspension which is 15mm lower than the SE. So Eibachs lower the SE by 30mm and the Sport by 15mm.
Now E92 330D M Sport, Sapphire Black, AC Schnitzers and carbon badges soon
Sold E86 3.0si Sport, Sapphire Black, AC Schnitzers, carbon badges, ZHP, stubby and NO RUNFLATS!

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Lowering question..

Post by Adamski » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:33 pm

Just to clear up. All 3.0 had M sport suspension and sit 15mm lower than standard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

JDM

Post by JDM » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:05 am

Adamski wrote:Just to clear up. All 3.0 had M sport suspension and sit 15mm lower than standard

Think that was just prefacelift cars when there were no sport or SE models. On facelift cars Sports have the M sport suspension whereas SE models have the standard suspension setup :)
04 3.0SE Roadster, 07 3.0Si Coupe, 12 2.0iSdrive M Sport... Gone but not forgotten

Now proud owner of an Audi TT TFSI S line, Misano Red Amplified black edition... Don't shoot me.

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Lowering question..

Post by Adamski » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:37 am

Combined knowledge.... power of the forum :)

Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

tom_ekn

Post by tom_ekn » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:31 am

So to confirm it has standard suspension so the Eibachs will have maximum effect :thumbsup: great!
2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

JDM

Post by JDM » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:39 am

Adamski wrote:Combined knowledge.... power of the forum :)

That's what I love about this place :)
tom_ekn wrote:So to confirm it has standard suspension so the Eibachs will have maximum effect :thumbsup: great!
Yup.. Will look sweet. But that will be the start of it. You'll then be thinking new wheels, bumpers, exhausts etc..... It never stops :D
04 3.0SE Roadster, 07 3.0Si Coupe, 12 2.0iSdrive M Sport... Gone but not forgotten

Now proud owner of an Audi TT TFSI S line, Misano Red Amplified black edition... Don't shoot me.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:02 am

Now I am a little better educated :thumbsup:

I have to say, I am really glad BMW simplified the naming conventions and specs for the e89 model range :|

Half Colin

Post by Half Colin » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:05 am

Bing wrote:I have to say, I am really glad BMW simplified the naming conventions and specs for the e89 model range :|
x1 :rofl:
Now E92 330D M Sport, Sapphire Black, AC Schnitzers and carbon badges soon
Sold E86 3.0si Sport, Sapphire Black, AC Schnitzers, carbon badges, ZHP, stubby and NO RUNFLATS!