Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Nice phone call from a stealer

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
robertsskippyj

Nice phone call from a stealer

Post by robertsskippyj » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 pm

Had the most suprising out come with my local stealer all of 10 mins ago. Picking up my car after having some accident damage fixed from when my horse decided to jump out the field onto the car.
Dealer rings me up you car is ready apart from we need to check the steering geometry before you pick the car up as the horse jumped on the bonnet, but your rear tyres only have 1.4mm of tread on them. I though they had only just reached the 3mm ware blocks but hay. We cannot take the car to have this done until new tyres are put on and cannot release it to you until the geometry is checked. Ok I said i'll have a ring round and sort it thinking the dealer would be a good bit more expensive. After ringing the world and his dog the stealer turns out to be £60 per tyre cheaper than some and a full £92 per tyre cheaper than most.
Just thought i'd share my amazement with everyone.

deka

Re: Nice phone call from a stealer

Post by deka » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:11 pm

a lot of the dealers will errrr deal on tyres but of course this depends on the type of tyres and most of these are bridgestones...
E89 2.5I Blue rubbish wheels
Gone But not forgotton. Z4 06 roadster 2.5 Midnight blue Hardtop black heated leather, stubby, phone kit, 108's PDC. ZHP

robertsskippyj

Post by robertsskippyj » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:16 pm

deka wrote:a lot of the dealers will errrr deal on tyres but of course this depends on the type of tyres and most of these are bridgestones...
Yes they were for a like for like change with new oe bridgestones going back on.

Was just amazed at the difference per tyre.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:25 pm

Wear bars are usually at the UK minimum of 1.6mm, not 3mm - but if you knew they were at the wear bar then you'd already know they needed replacing :?
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:31 pm

That's a result... But how much did they charge you for checking the steering ? :evil:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

wegras

Post by wegras » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:23 pm

My Dealer also came up trumps and matched Micheldever Tyres price for 4x Michelin PS2 RFT and also when you added up everything as good as online offerings
and the work was done with care
(You have to be in the South to understand the Micheldever tyres bit )
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

robertsskippyj

Post by robertsskippyj » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:56 pm

mmm-five wrote:Wear bars are usually at the UK minimum of 1.6mm, not 3mm - but if you knew they were at the wear bar then you'd already know they needed replacing :?
I'm aware of the 1.6mm legal min but i was told that recently most premiem tyre companies now have there wear indicators set to the recomended 3mm change and not the minimum 1.6mm. Might have been given duff info though.
Last edited by robertsskippyj on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

robertsskippyj

Post by robertsskippyj » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Bing wrote:That's a result... But how much did they charge you for checking the steering ? :evil:
The geometry check was part of the repair so the insurance company is picking up the bill.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:19 pm

Cool :thumbsup:

I have had slightly less of a result with my car today, but I will post later when I've gotten over the shock :cry:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:06 pm

robertsskippyj wrote: I'm aware of the 1.6mm legal min but i was told that recently most premiem tyre companies now mark have there wear indicators set to the recomended 3mm change and not the minimum 1.6mm. Might have been given duff info though.
:thumbsup:
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options