Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wheels: Biggest decision so far...

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:49 pm

So, guys and girls.. What do I do with regards to the wheels on my E85? All of the small mods are easy to decide on (stubby, gearknob etc) but this is a bit decision both money wise and how the car looks.

I have two choices...

1) Get some 108's refurbed back to original silver and mint..

2) Get 18" CSL's (wide rears) in silver also....

I'm a massive fan of OEM, so I am swaying towards keeping the 108's and making them mint (without the polished lip) but the CSL's look so damn good and I don't think 99% of people would ever know they weren't an option wheel.

Opinions more than welcome, I'm well and truly stuck.
Titanium Silver E85 Mods Done - 224's, Stubby, Amarone //M seats, ZHP, Retrofitted Wind Deflector, Aux In

Liam-O

Post by Liam-O » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:54 pm

Very difficult decision, it's hard to choose between the two.

Depends how much money you have spare... The cost vs. the slightly better looking.
Liam - O

2005 Z4 2.2SE Grey - Sold

:rtfm: HOW TO: Fitting a Z4M Bumper

srhutch

Re: Wheels: Biggest decision so far...

Post by srhutch » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Unless your going to do the 108's properly i.e. polished lip, then goe for the CSL reps.

All silver 108's look like someones taken a shortcut/cheap option IMO.

JDM

Post by JDM » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Personally if you are sticking with 18's then I would go with the 108's as CSL's in 18's just dont seem to work properly IMO. Maybe get them refurbished in a slightly darker colour to give it some contrast to the silver paintwork. Maybe graphite or shadow chrome?

Im pretty sure the picture above are 19" CSL's as they seem to fill the arch whereas 18's look a little under wheeled.
04 3.0SE Roadster, 07 3.0Si Coupe, 12 2.0iSdrive M Sport... Gone but not forgotten

Now proud owner of an Audi TT TFSI S line, Misano Red Amplified black edition... Don't shoot me.

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Liam-O wrote:Very difficult decision, it's hard to choose between the two.

Depends how much money you have spare... The cost vs. the slightly better looking.
I'm 99% sure I'll be going for reps, found some good ones for a relatively good price, if I sold the 108's, the cost difference wouldn't be that much (a few hundred more for the CSL's).
srhutch wrote:Unless your going to do the 108's properly i.e. polished lip, then goe for the CSL reps.

All silver 108's look like someones taken a shortcut/cheap option IMO.
The 108's would be being done "properly", i.e full split refurb, but I have no interest in the polished lip as every car I've ever owned with polish lipped wheels have just been a right pain!

They'd be bright silver all over.

JDM wrote:Personally if you are sticking with 18's then I would go with the 108's as CSL's in 18's just dont seem to work properly IMO. Maybe get them refurbished in a slightly darker colour to give it some contrast to the silver paintwork. Maybe graphite or shadow chrome?

Im pretty sure the picture above are 19" CSL's as they seem to fill the arch whereas 18's look a little under wheeled.
I've got to admit, I'm not a big fan of darker wheels anymore as they just scream aftermarket, especially on split rims. I know a lot do it on here, but I'm going for a more subtle look.

The reason for not going for the 19" CSL's is because I was under the impression that it'd need lowering, which I didn't really want to do?
Titanium Silver E85 Mods Done - 224's, Stubby, Amarone //M seats, ZHP, Retrofitted Wind Deflector, Aux In

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:02 pm

Oh and here's what the 18's look like (pic I stole from here :oops: )

JDM

Post by JDM » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:15 pm

Sorry still think the CSL's look wrong in 18".. That extra inch makes all the difference :wink:

I ran my old coupe with 19's un lowered for a while and to be fair it looked OK but in the end I lowered it, only marginally though.
04 3.0SE Roadster, 07 3.0Si Coupe, 12 2.0iSdrive M Sport... Gone but not forgotten

Now proud owner of an Audi TT TFSI S line, Misano Red Amplified black edition... Don't shoot me.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:16 pm

RJS-Z4 wrote:Oh and here's what the 18's look like (pic I stole from here :oops: )

Love the CSL's... on a side note, I know a lot of people replace the OEM aerial with a stubby, but you are the first to replace it with a lamppost! :rofl:
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:19 pm

That's not my picture, or car... I did find the lampost funny myself.

I've found a site that seems very reasonable for the CSL's, is there any reason to go to bmautosport over another site?

JDM - I may end up going for the 19's.. I believe I have the lower of the 2 suspension options, so I may be OK.

Do second hand CSL's (even reps) hold their value OK?

Bradders75

Post by Bradders75 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:25 pm

I agree with JDM. The 18" CSL reps in that pic don't seem to go concave at the back and that to me is what the CSL look is all about.
2003 Z4 3.0i SE | nav / cruise / PDC / bluetooth / ellipsoids / xenons / clear indicators / m-sport seats / m-sport MFSW / ZHP / intravee |

2014 F56 MINI Cooper S | for bends |

2016 F20 M135i | for straights |

JDM

Post by JDM » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:31 pm

RJS-Z4 wrote:That's not my picture, or car... I did find the lampost funny myself.

I've found a site that seems very reasonable for the CSL's, is there any reason to go to bmautosport over another site?

JDM - I may end up going for the 19's.. I believe I have the lower of the 2 suspension options, so I may be OK.

Do second hand CSL's (even reps) hold their value OK?
BMAutosport are recommended for the quality, service and price. Dont think anyone on here has a bad word to say about them, me included.

Just be very wary of other replicas as the quality can be very poor and wheels can buckle and crack easily and with the state of the British Roads at the minute then you want something up to the job.

Go for 19's... you know it makes sense. Just put them on without lowering and see how you get on. You can always lower at a later date for less than £200.00 and sell of your old sport springs to a member on here with standard suspension who wants to drop it.. That's what I did :wink:

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:40 pm

Bradders75 wrote:I agree with JDM. The 18" CSL reps in that pic don't seem to go concave at the back and that to me is what the CSL look is all about.
I' d definitely agree with that, but the 18's I'd be getting would have the deeper rear...

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:51 pm

JDM - You're a bad influence. Just costed up some from the first site I was going to use (not bmautosport).

I have a friend who used them on his e46 and the wheels were great quality TBH.

I've managed to get the 19" wheels with Conti tyres - 235 front, 265 rear... for £960 posted.. :thumbsup:

I think I could knock him down a little so may try, I'll cost up the same thing over on bmautosport, but these ones do look like particularly good replicas.

I like the idea with the lowering, is it visually noticeable to the untrained eye? I don't want it looking "decked" you know?

I can fit it all myself which will hopefully keep the costs down (apart from having the tracking done).

JDM

Post by JDM » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:02 pm

You won't regret buying the 19's... But I think you would regret buying the 18's when someone pulled up next to you with a set of 19's on :wink:

You dont want to deck it. Just subtly lower it. I used Eibach's on mine which dropped about 20mm. Looked so much better and the ride was greatly improved..

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:04 pm

JDM wrote:You won't regret buying the 19's... But I think you would regret buying the 18's when someone pulled up next to you with a set of 19's on :wink:

You dont want to deck it. Just subtly lower it. I used Eibach's on mine which dropped about 20mm. Looked so much better and the ride was greatly improved..
I assume you mean in handling terms, not the actual "ride"...?