Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mixing RFTs & non RFTs

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Coyote

Mixing RFTs & non RFTs

Post by Coyote » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:56 pm

Is there any problems with mixing RFTs with non RFTs.
Need to change the rears on Rachel's car but the fronts still have loads of tread depth left?

So plan to change the rears for non RFTs and leave the RFTs on the front until they eventually get changed for non RFTs as well.

cheers
Non-BMW owner, here on behalf of the wifes "every day car", her Z4.

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Mixing RFTs & non RFTs

Post by sars » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:11 pm

I have given this some thought after another poster here bought one from a dealer with mismatched front/rears and I cannot see any technical reason why you can't, just seems wrong to mix tyre types though and this would prevent me doing it.

Why not change all four and sell the fronts on eBay or here or buy a better make of RFT's than Bridgestones, there are plenty of threads on the subject, search using gannet in there as he swapped to another brand and rated them highly
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

wegras

Post by wegras » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:13 pm

Michelin PS2 RFT :thumbsup:
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:51 pm

wegras wrote:Michelin PS2 RFT :thumbsup:
Yes but RFTs are twice the price of normal tyres.

Are you offereing to pay the difference in cost! :D

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:03 pm

This one's been covered many times. Nothing illegal about it, but they 2 sets will perform differently on the limit and might just find you a ditch. If you were involved in an accident it could be cited as an issue.

For those reasons I'd not do it either and similar to Sars - change all 4 and sell the others on. After all it's a sports car not a family saloon

Some will tell you they have done it and had no issues.

Your call.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:39 pm

cj10jeeper wrote: This one's been covered many times. Nothing illegal about it, but they 2 sets will perform differently on the limit and might just find you a ditch. If you were involved in an accident it could be cited as an issue.
Well frankly if you are at those limits on the road you deserver o be in the ditch!

Now I fully understand that there will be a difference between a £20 tyres from a brand that you have never heard of but the difference between “quality” tyres should not be too much on the road.
The only difference I imagine is the two different sets will have slightly difference grip levels, but it is not as if we are putting super-soft SG 888s on two wheels.

The insurance issue is a valid point if it is the cause of the accident.
cj10jeeper wrote: After all it's a sports car not a family saloon.
After all in real life a “sports car” can only be driven the same as most decent saloons unless you are on a track day and she has a real sports car for that.

It is her daily hack so most of the time it potters around on our over populated roads stuck at the back of a queue of traffic behind a 40mph Rover/Honda.

But all that said these are just your opinions and my opinions.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:19 pm

Coyote - apologies as I should have been clearer. When I say on the limit I mean under a stress situation such as an emergency stop, or having to brake on a corner due to an unforeseen problem. It's at those instants that the differences in the way the tyres perform ( how much grip at which instant) could be the issue. That's why in France you have to have the same brand on each axle and even in the uk cross ply can only be on one end of the car if mixed (can't recall which)

The reference to a saloon was that they are set up very differently. Often fwd, complaint, highly predictable, low powered, etc. as opposed tompowerful, light, rwd, etc. Much less chance of something exciting happening in a bog standard saloon

Of course at 40 mph and in slow moving traffic it probably doesn't matter one jot and to your point just our opinions, but you did ask :)
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:14 am

I agree with sars, I don't actually think it would make that big a difference, and the driver aids on the car will equal out most things - the bigger issue for me would be them intervening and cutting the power if it thinks there's a difference in grip.

To be honest, on the UK roads these days you're very unlikely to get a surface that is going to give you similar enough of a surface to get equal grip all round anyway :P

This is all assuming that you are using similar spec of tyres, which if you are aware there might be an issue, you are going to do.

One thing, and this is more rhetorical, but surely even with matched tyres there is going to be a difference in performance, front to rear, on a car with a staggered setup? Especially bearing in mind the Z4 can have either staggered on non-staggered from the factory - right up to the 3.0, so surely the car can only be setup for one?

What do I do? Match all 4 tyres. If I buy a car where they aren't matched I'll get it sorted. But I think that has as much to do with OCD as anything else, well and wanting to use the car on track - where using the car on the very limit (I wish) and no driver aids, I think it pays.

Despite what I say, technically completely agree with CJ and, you did ask so you will get a lot of different views, even if people agree on the technicalities :wink:

One final thing, you should let your insurance company know if you are changing from run flats - didn't make a difference with mine, but had it noted just in case.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:27 am

cj10jeeper wrote:Coyote - apologies as I should have been clearer. When I say on the limit I mean under a stress situation such as an emergency stop, or having to brake on a corner due to an unforeseen problem. It's at those instants that the differences in the way the tyres perform ( how much grip at which instant) could be the issue. That's why in France you have to have the same brand on each axle and even in the uk cross ply can only be on one end of the car if mixed (can't recall which)

The reference to a saloon was that they are set up very differently. Often fwd, complaint, highly predictable, low powered, etc. as opposed tompowerful, light, rwd, etc. Much less chance of something exciting happening in a bog standard saloon

Of course at 40 mph and in slow moving traffic it probably doesn't matter one jot and to your point just our opinions, but you did ask :)
I hope you did not take it that I was having a go at you; it is not meant at all.

I did not even think you could still buy crossplys. Not mixing them/radials is a real blast back in time. I remember taking a mk2 Cortina with crossplys for a test drive and every 20mph bend sounded like I was in the Sweeny there was so much screeching.

So in the end all you have to do is match all 4 tyres (same make & model) being irrelevant of RTFs or not. This is a pain as 3 of the tyres are nearly new with the other one down to the wear indicator. Hence it will have to be replaced with another RFT at a silly price or all 4 get changed to non RFT (long term preference as we don't see the point of RFTs) at more cost but less per tyre. I was just wondering how much difference there was to run 2 of each.
Whatever way we go it is going to cost lots of dosh.

For the record we inherited the tyre situation with the car so the last owner changed 3 of the tyres but not the 4th. :roll:

I understand the powerful light rwd thing as her other car has all those qualities (makes the Z4 seem like a barge) :D

Finisterre

Post by Finisterre » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:36 am

try it and see.
E85 2.0. + E39 530i touring.

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:42 am

PawnSacrifice wrote:I agree with sars, I don't actually think it would make that big a difference, and the driver aids on the car will equal out most things - the bigger issue for me would be them intervening and cutting the power if it thinks there's a difference in grip.

To be honest, on the UK roads these days you're very unlikely to get a surface that is going to give you similar enough of a surface to get equal grip all round anyway :P .
In all the time I have driven cars with traction control both the Z4 and my 270bhp FWD estate, the only time it has ever come on it when pulling away from a junction and I do err ……….. drive in a spirited fashion.

PawnSacrifice wrote: This is all assuming that you are using similar spec of tyres, which if you are aware there might be an issue, you are going to do.

One thing, and this is more rhetorical, but surely even with matched tyres there is going to be a difference in performance, front to rear, on a car with a staggered setup? Especially bearing in mind the Z4 can have either staggered on non-staggered from the factory - right up to the 3.0, so surely the car can only be setup for one?
Looking at it all 4 tyres are the same size and it would be similar specs if we did it.
PawnSacrifice wrote: What do I do? Match all 4 tyres. If I buy a car where they aren't matched I'll get it sorted. But I think that has as much to do with OCD as anything else, well and wanting to use the car on track - where using the car on the very limit (I wish) and no driver aids, I think it pays.

Despite what I say, technically completely agree with CJ and, you did ask so you will get a lot of different views, even if people agree on the technicalities :wink:
I do have to match all the tyres as well but normally I can wait a while and do it as they wear. Would not want to take it on a track as there are far better cars for that (like Rachel's other car. :wink: )

As always with forums everyone has a different comment. Sometimes way too many and you end up even more confused.

no fit state

Post by no fit state » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:35 pm

Speaking as someone who did mixed RFT with NRFT tires for over a year in rain, snow, ice and sunny days. I can say that I had no problems at all and would happily do it again :thumbsup:
Z4MC Imola red

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:48 pm

no fit state wrote:Speaking as someone who did mixed RFT with NRFT tires for over a year in rain, snow, ice and sunny days. I can say that I had no problems at all and would happily do it again :thumbsup:
Which way round did you have them?
Its a rear on ours that needs changing so would run the 2 NRFTs on the back.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:48 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:This one's been covered many times. Nothing illegal about it, but they 2 sets will perform differently on the limit and might just find you a ditch. If you were involved in an accident it could be cited as an issue.

For those reasons I'd not do it either and similar to Sars - change all 4 and sell the others on. After all it's a sports car not a family saloon

Some will tell you they have done it and had no issues.

Your call.
+1 for this... whatever your choose tyre-wise I do think wherever possible try to get similar solutions on each corner.... The Sars idea of changing 4 and selling the others on is a good one. I have to put my summer tyres on at some point soon and 2 of them are worn... I am probably going to stick 4 new ones on and either keep the other 2 good ones as spares or flog them on.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Pilly

Post by Pilly » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:51 pm

I have non rfts on front and rfts on rear. Had this set up for about 2 months and have notice no real difference at all. I am about to swap rears over as have a nail in passenger rear which can't be repaired as its too close to sidewall. So personally I haven't had a problem.

On a side note I will have a drivers side RFT 5mm tread all over for sale if anyone wants it (sorry not trying to hijack this thread).