Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Repairing run-flats

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Bing
Legend
Legend

Repairing run-flats

Post by Bing » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:30 am

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know of a national tyre chain, or a place near Maidstone, that will plug run flats ? I have a nail in each of my rears, middle of tread, and I am sure I have seen that these can be repaired, however Kwik Fit say their company policy - and 90% of other tyre fitters' - is that they don't rain run-flats. Any advice / direction greatly appreciated :D
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Half Colin

Re: Repairing run-flats

Post by Half Colin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:49 am

They won't repair them because there could be hidden damage to the structure of the tyre.
Now E92 330D M Sport, Sapphire Black, AC Schnitzers and carbon badges soon
Sold E86 3.0si Sport, Sapphire Black, AC Schnitzers, carbon badges, ZHP, stubby and NO RUNFLATS!

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:50 am

go to a local firm not a national...
E89 S Drive 35iS

Pilly

Post by Pilly » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:51 am

ATS Euromaster do repair them. They have machines designed for getting tyres off without damaging them. If the damage is more than 10mm from the wall they will repair it. Had one of my rears done and had no probs.

thefmister

Post by thefmister » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:29 am

I had mine fixed by a profile tyrecenter.
'09 E89 Z4 35i Executive blue, DCT, 296's, Adaptive M suspension, Nav, HiFi, Comfort Access, Light package, Sports Seats, Adaptive headlights. Stubby.
Sold: '03 Z4 2.5i maldives blue.

thauma

Post by thauma » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:18 pm

This is probably a dumb-ass question, but has anyone tried ultra seal (tyre gunge stuff).

I've used it for years on the bike, and it's been great whenever I've had a puncture. Obviously if you lose a tyre on a bike at speed and you're in real trouble, but I also found it prolonged tyre life and didn't affect handling.

However as cars are a different kettle of fish, and the handling characteristics of run-flats are going to be different I just wondered if this was a potential solution.

Just about to don a fireproof suit as ultra seal in the biking community is a marmite product (love it or hate it - no in-between)

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:04 pm

Called ATS Euromaster - apparently not a problem, though they want £25-ish each per tyre... Which is less than two new rear Bridgestones. Gonna get them to swap my wheels at the same time I reckon. Thanks guys :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...