Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Was he talking BS

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
cj_eds

Re: Was he talking BS

Post by cj_eds » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:00 pm

Surely it'd have been safer to sell you a non-runflat so that all 4 wheels were the same! I know I'd rather that than have one RF and 3 non-RF's (although in your case it is an emergency spare and not a permanent situation).

Don't rims designed for RF tyres have a slightly different shape which confuses some fitters - saying non-rf's won't fit when they will. (And that it's the other way around that doesn't work - RF's on a non-RF rim?)

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:13 pm

I'd check...it only takes a quick call... don't go on peoples assumptions or assertions as the insurance company may consider it a 'modification'. I'm sure you don't need your insurance invalidating a claim because of this, if on the flip-side it bothers them at all. I've spoken with BMW directly on this topic and they have told me that the car was not designed to run on normal tyres, therefore any issues within warranty related to suspension may not be supported by them if non run flats were on the car. If BMW take this line, you can be sure the skimpy insurance companies would love to find it as an excuse not to pay out... :headbang:

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:19 pm

Even if it did invalidate my insurence (which i doubt) i dont think it was the fitters place to tell me what i can and cant have on my wheel.
As for BMW warrenty..its a 9 year old car so this hardly applies. :wink:
E89 S Drive 35iS

Finisterre

Post by Finisterre » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:56 pm

Poor fitter- everybody thinks his opinion is worthless.
Which it is.
E85 2.0. + E39 530i touring.

wantanM

Post by wantanM » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:48 pm

Quote hunter/cj10jeeper
Problem is here that the tyre fitter is part of a national chain and while we all know non RFT's will fit and indeed be accepted by insurers, he's constrained to fit OEM type else in breach of his companies rules.

If you drove around the corner on a non RFT he'd fitted and crashed then guess who'd be held responsible by many in out litigious society...

Of course add to that that some tyre fitters are not top of the food chin and they get mixed up between fact, fiction, myth, policy and a bit of BS :)[/quote]
If that is true and they can only fit OEM why do they stock budget tyres?[/quote]

I meant OEM as in RFT for RFT, same size, ratio, weight and speed rating, etc. not brand....[/quote]

So if your Z had come originally with 17" wheels and you had fitted 18s your saying they wouldnt be allowd to fit tyres to them?[/quote]

I think you are over interpreting what cj is saying. He is referring ingeneral to liability with reference to non manufacturers spec.

Unfortunately most people and processes in this country are counterproductive and non common sensible. Frustrating as it is when we have to interact with such people who are unable to reason beyond "the computer says no" , from the point of view of the tyre fitter, doesn't know any better and might be restricted by a company policy guideline. Just deep breaths. . .
And smile. . . :) :x :)
Much loved Z4MC

Zed_Steve

Post by Zed_Steve » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:30 pm

Common sense.. whatever happened to it :roll:
Now - N/A

Then... E89 sDrive35iS(2012-2013), E89 sDrive30i(2011-2012), E85 3.0si Sport Roadster(2009-2011), Z3 2.8(2005-2009).

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:37 pm

Zed_Steve wrote:Common sense.. whatever happened to it :roll:
It's not that common....
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:41 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:
Zed_Steve wrote:Common sense.. whatever happened to it :roll:
It's not that common....
So true
E89 S Drive 35iS

peddy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by peddy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:49 pm

Hunter wrote:So if your Z had come originally with 17" wheels and you had fitted 18s your saying they wouldnt be allowd to fit tyres to them?
No he would have because 18" is an OEM size. Technically he might have refused if you had 19"+? :?

Boogle

Post by Boogle » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:41 pm

MRol wrote:I think at the beginning of this year cars fitted with runflat tyres as part of the origional car design will have to have runflat tyres to get through the MOT.
I had an MOT earlier this month with non RFTs - no prob :)

You do need to notify your insurers though, and I had to sign a disclaimer at the fitters that I had notified the insurance company. Many insurers just don't care (mine's Admiral and they didn't care). But other people have had a very slight premium increase upon notification.
Z4 '06 3.0si Sport Silver Grey, Cruise, Aux-Input, Dension, ZHP
Prev: Z4 '57 2.0 Sport Stratus Grey
Soft Top Care Guide

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:15 pm

When I put my winters on with non RFT Direct Line didn't BT an eyelid, even though I said it twice to make sure the guy had heard me :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Nosa

Post by Nosa » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:35 pm

National in Dunfermline fitted a non RFT for me no problem whatsoever, sounds like you got a by the book man going by is own book,
more commonly know as a tosser.

wantanM

Post by wantanM » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:49 pm

Nosa wrote:National in Dunfermline fitted a non RFT for me no problem whatsoever, sounds like you got a by the book man going by is own book,
more commonly know as a tosser.
:rofl: :rofl:
Much loved Z4MC

cyhliu

Post by cyhliu » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:44 pm

You should have responded that you had no insurance to invalidate when he mentioned insurance...

Sorry not the most constructive comment, but agree with both arguments about National having to abide by their company policies and that also it's your choice as the consumer which tire you wish to purchase, I was once quoted by a main VW dealer that they wanted over a grand for replacing my whole exhaust because of a broken bracket, the chap was so honest he said that it was company policy to do so as they can't do repairs but have the replace, but said that I could take it to a local garage who could weld it for £50-60! Now that's what I call customer service!

mason storm

Post by mason storm » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:05 pm

Out of interest did you remember to re set the sensor? If you didn't I will come back on again after a few minutes even if you don't loose any pressure.
2.5se Roadster - First Z
3.0 si Sport Coupe - now sold :cry: