Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Was he talking BS

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Hunter

Was he talking BS

Post by Hunter » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:53 am

Last week i was driving my car from Nottingham to Aberdeen when my tyre pressure light came on...i pulled into a service station at Perth and checked the tyre pressure on all four wheels and sure enough the drivers front was low so i topped it up and set off. Five miles down the road the sensor light came back on, so i had to drive about 30 miles on the runflat untill i got to Dundee and found a National tyre garage. Now let me explain that the tyre in question was the only wheel with a run flat tyre on it as i had replaced my tyres with non runflats but i had put the spare wheel i had with a rf on it back on the car a few days previously because my missus had slightly curbed my wheel and it was being repaired. So in short the car had 3 non run flats and one flat rf. Now when i asked the guy at National to replace the RF with a Non RF he refused telling me that it was not manufacures spec and would invalidate my insurance!!!! This was at 17.45 and i NEEDED the tyre on the car that night so i could catch my flight to work. He told me he had a rf in stock and a non rf that he would not fit...i asked for a price on the RF..£275 !!!!!! I declined and managed to find a place just around the corner that fitted me a non runflat for £70. At the end of the day its only a spare wheel i have for emergencys...but was the guy at National just being a KNOB???
E89 S Drive 35iS

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Was he talking BS

Post by Adamski » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:05 am

Yes. Talking total rubbish.

Not advised to run mixture of RFT and non RFT, but the guy at National clearly doesn't know how to do his job... (IMO of course ;) )

I had 4 non RFTs fitted to my car no problem...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Adamski on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

Liam-O

Was he talking BS

Post by Liam-O » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:05 am

IMO yes, he's not the insurance watchdog, normal cars don't have rft it's not the end of the world if you get a flat, the car isn going to fore you into the central reservation.
Liam - O

2005 Z4 2.2SE Grey - Sold

:rtfm: HOW TO: Fitting a Z4M Bumper

Hunter

Re: Was he talking BS

Post by Hunter » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:11 am

I think he just wanted to sell me the most expensive thing he could!!!
E89 S Drive 35iS

MRol

Post by MRol » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:46 am

I think at the beginning of this year cars fitted with runflat tyres as part of the origional car design will have to have runflat tyres to get through the MOT.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:55 am

You were in a tight corner & lucky u had an option.

Suggest if u r ever faced with that again to get person to put it in writing, including a statement that you will get a FULL refund if it turns out the advice that they gave was incorrect, otherwise fit a NRF.

If u carry a tin of tyre repair weld, u should b just fine

Hunter

Re:

Post by Hunter » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:10 am

Jembo wrote:You were in a tight corner & lucky u had an option.

Suggest if u r ever faced with that again to get person to put it in writing, including a statement that you will get a FULL refund if it turns out the advice that they gave was incorrect, otherwise fit a NRF.

If u carry a tin of tyre repair weld, u should b just fine
If he wouldnt fit a tyre i think the chances of me getting him to write something down would be quite slim. He was an ass..
E89 S Drive 35iS

Bradders75

Post by Bradders75 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:19 am

MRol wrote:I think at the beginning of this year cars fitted with runflat tyres as part of the origional car design will have to have runflat tyres to get through the MOT.
Not true mate. The Tyre Pressure Monitoring System has to be working correctly and is now part of the test but this doesn't need RFTs to function. My car sailed through the MOT on non-RFTs last week.
2003 Z4 3.0i SE | nav / cruise / PDC / bluetooth / ellipsoids / xenons / clear indicators / m-sport seats / m-sport MFSW / ZHP / intravee |

2014 F56 MINI Cooper S | for bends |

2016 F20 M135i | for straights |

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:20 am

Bradders75 wrote:
MRol wrote:I think at the beginning of this year cars fitted with runflat tyres as part of the origional car design will have to have runflat tyres to get through the MOT.
Not true mate. The Tyre Pressure Monitoring System has to be working correctly and is now part of the test but this doesn't need RFTs to function. My car sailed through the MOT on non-RFTs last week.
How do they check this?
E89 S Drive 35iS

Bradders75

Post by Bradders75 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:23 am

Hunter wrote:
Bradders75 wrote:
How do they check this?
http://www.tyresensors.com/news_detail/18
2003 Z4 3.0i SE | nav / cruise / PDC / bluetooth / ellipsoids / xenons / clear indicators / m-sport seats / m-sport MFSW / ZHP / intravee |

2014 F56 MINI Cooper S | for bends |

2016 F20 M135i | for straights |

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:31 am

Problem is here that the tyre fitter is part of a national chain and while we all know non RFT's will fit and indeed be accepted by insurers, he's constrained to fit OEM type else in breach of his companies rules.

If you drove around the corner on a non RFT he'd fitted and crashed then guess who'd be held responsible by many in out litigious society...

Of course add to that that some tyre fitters are not top of the food chin and they get mixed up between fact, fiction, myth, policy and a bit of BS :)
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:47 am

cj10jeeper wrote:Problem is here that the tyre fitter is part of a national chain and while we all know non RFT's will fit and indeed be accepted by insurers, he's constrained to fit OEM type else in breach of his companies rules.

If you drove around the corner on a non RFT he'd fitted and crashed then guess who'd be held responsible by many in out litigious society...

Of course add to that that some tyre fitters are not top of the food chin and they get mixed up between fact, fiction, myth, policy and a bit of BS :)
If that is true and they can only fit OEM why do they stock budget tyres?
E89 S Drive 35iS

Half Colin

Post by Half Colin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:52 am

Yes, definitely talking BS.

Quote from the manual

"BMW recommends fitting only wheels and tyres that it has approved for your vehicle; otherwise, tyres of an appropriate nominal size but with impermissible manufacturing tolerances could make contact with the vehicle body and cause serious accidents."

Manufacturer's recommendations are just that recommendations not mandatory and he certainly can't comment on your insurance.
Now E92 330D M Sport, Sapphire Black, AC Schnitzers and carbon badges soon
Sold E86 3.0si Sport, Sapphire Black, AC Schnitzers, carbon badges, ZHP, stubby and NO RUNFLATS!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:57 am

Hunter wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:Problem is here that the tyre fitter is part of a national chain and while we all know non RFT's will fit and indeed be accepted by insurers, he's constrained to fit OEM type else in breach of his companies rules.

I meant OEM as in RFT for RFT, same size, ratio, weight and speed rating, etc. not brand....
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:21 am

cj10jeeper wrote:
Hunter wrote:

I meant OEM as in RFT for RFT, same size, ratio, weight and speed rating, etc. not brand....
So if your Z had come originally with 17" wheels and you had fitted 18s your saying they wouldnt be allowd to fit tyres to them?
E89 S Drive 35iS