Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tire pressure monitor sensors

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
bcworkz

Re: Tire pressure monitor sensors

Post by bcworkz » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:27 am

Sorry Bumpy, what you say is not absolute. WLH is correct. Pre '07 US Zed's do not have built in sensors, such as mine. It is not Canadian because the way DRLs work is different. You may be right '07 and later.
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

helalo

Re: Tire pressure monitor sensors

Post by helalo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:29 am

same story. the shop was changing my tires and i asked him about the tire sensors and he goes "what tire sensors?"
im guessing the car calculates the rotation of the wheels in same motion at the same time ? whatever it is that it does, i know theres some kinda tire monitor, otherwise we wouldnt get the tire warning sign if sht goes bad.

CrazyOneToo

Post by CrazyOneToo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:31 am

Bumpy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:56 am Tire sensors in North America work like this:
American cars have the built in sensors.
They can be identified by a stiffy valve stem.

Canadian cars monitor air pressure via the diameter of the tire when properly inflated, as interpreted by the ABS System.
They can be identified by a flexy valve stem.

Problems can arise cause alot of American Z's get imported into Canada.

My advice is to give the valve stems a wiggle and you will know right away where that tire came from.
Hello. Mine is 2007 model and has two stiff sensors. Am I missing two of them ? They are on the left front and right rear. Thanks.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si Roadster with 6 speed manual...
2002 E53 X5 3.0i with auto...
1999 E46 328i sedan with auto...

:driving:

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:00 am

All this is just wonderful, but I'm old school and while it's a nice gadget and gizmo to play with you cant trust them. Check your tyres each week the proper way. I would no more rely on the sensors to tell me when it's low than I would expect a 5 year old to tie his shoe laces properly. And they have no interest in overinflated tyres. I looked at a fellas tyres yesterday at the zedfest and one tyre was 19psi and another was 39 psi, no warnings. Just check them properly with a gauge fellas. :thumbsup:
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Thermaltake

Post by Thermaltake » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:26 pm

I have one of the chinese special incar tyre pressure monitors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rocboc-Wireles ... 263&sr=1-6

Look rediculous on the wheels, But works flawlessley.

Solar powered, Never left the car since putting it in. Have it stuck down right side of the dial facia, Fits in quite nicely.

Pressure if very accurate. Shows the exact same as any garage air machine ive used.

Interesting watching pressure change with temperature. Cold mornings will be 31 or so, Warm afternoon 33/34. One side facing the sun will always be 1-2 PSI higher than the other.

CrazyOneToo

Post by CrazyOneToo » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:07 pm

CrazyOneToo wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:31 am
Hello. Mine is 2007 model and has two stiff sensors. Am I missing two of them ? They are on the left front and right rear. Thanks.
So no one knows if I need 4 sensors or 2 ?
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si Roadster with 6 speed manual...
2002 E53 X5 3.0i with auto...
1999 E46 328i sedan with auto...

:driving: