Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre Dilemmas

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Tyre Dilemmas

Post by flimper » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:02 pm

The fronts on the M need replacing, but I'm at a loss at what to do. The options as I see them:

1] Wait for a Costco offer on Michelins, then sell rear Conti M3s from my car (with 6mm of tread) (Will it be a long wait?)
2] Source some part worn Conti M3s fronts from here
3] Buy 4 Conti Sport 3s, then sell my M3 rears
4] Buy 4 Vredstein Sessantas, then sell my M3 rears
5] Buy 4 Falken 452s, then sell my M3 rears (not overly keen on this option)

I'm a bit unsure about going for non OEM sizes just in case of any problems with ride etc. Any help appreciated
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Tyre Dilemmas

Post by tomscott » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:11 pm

Id go for the V reds. I am currently needing to put some on my CSLs but the michelin supers sports are near enough twice the price and the pilots not much cheaper. Although fantastic tyres the Vreds hold their own in every test ive read, im intrigued so going to give them a try. Depends tho, what do you think of the Conti M3s? Quite an old tyre now, but not bad. If you have 6mm I would just buy two fronts save some money.

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:14 pm

Ideally I'd like to try some new tyres out, the Conti M3s are fine but there must be better out there. Also not sure how I feel about the look of the Vreds and Falkens
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:17 pm

Of course you can buy 4 tyres from Costco and get the best deal them fit them later when the rears are worn out, but they never match up to the Vreds or Falkens on value.

Biggest decision really is premium tyre or mid range then it's an easier call.

The one thing I'd never do is buy part worns unless you are 100% sure of the owner of them and that even includes forum users. Life's too short to risk a damaged tyre.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:43 pm

I would go for option 4 - Vreds :thumbsup:
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:51 pm

I would skip the Falkens entirely for the M.

The Vreds look very cool in my opinion. That Asymmetrical pattern looks pretty manly if you ask me! :thumbsup: Have a read of this

http://www.tyremen.co.uk/range/vredeste ... tyres.aspx

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:04 pm

Interesting, not seen that test result before, cheers

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:32 am

Adamski wrote:I would go for option 4 - Vreds :thumbsup:
Most likely option now I think, may gauge interest on the rear M3s next

ASW28

Post by ASW28 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:11 pm

Recently put set of 4 Vreds on mine. - Feels so much better, steering wheel 'death grip' not now required on less than smooth road surfaces. :thumbsup:
Glider pilots do it quietly - ASW28 C6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej4kE99x ... B5bE-sohlo

2.0 Sport, 2006, Sapphire Black.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:42 pm

Adamski wrote:I would go for option 4 - Vreds :thumbsup:
The set of Vreds i once had were brilliant in the dry, but Michielins felt more stable & grippy in he wet.

Michielins are expensive, though having access to Costco when they have their 20% off means they are a bargain to me... & given you have access to Costco would get my vote
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:04 pm

I'd go for a set of four Vreds, and give your Contis to me :D

In all seriousness, I've kept my 18" wheels for track use so I get through a set of rears pretty quickly. If your 18"s are standard OEM size I'd be interested in buying them if you change all four...

Please PM me if you decide to go that route.

As for the Vreds, I have them on my CSLs and they're pretty good. In the dry I'd say they are fairly average, but they offer phenomenol grip in the wet. They're a bit noisy at motorway speeds but that's probably as much due to the size as the tyre brand.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:14 pm

Vreds worse than the M3s in the dry? Still considering the Conti 3s at the moment as well. Maybe PM me with what you would be looking to pay for the M3s (they are standard size) :thumbsup:

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:49 pm

Hmmm.... PM me what sort of price you have in mind, otherwise I'll only end up suggesting a ridiculously cheeky price and I wouldn't want to seem like I was taking the pee!

Btw, I presume these aren't special light weight flimper-spec tyres that come without tread :D

Oh, and Vreds are not worse in the dry, just average. It's in the wet that they seem to perform far better than expected.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

octavia1

Post by octavia1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:21 am

Swopped my run flats back in October - currently running Avon ZZ3'S and very happy with them, tram lining a thing of the past and also impressed with the wet weather performance.