Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bridgestone run flat tyres

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
cybermaniac

Post by cybermaniac » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:13 pm

Hey guys,

First post here, and a total car noob.

Currently have 225/50 R16 92V BRIDGESTONE RE050 runflat tyres on the car, and the time has come to replace them.

During a quick google search, I came across a post (http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8391) and they mentioned Michelin RFT tyres (last post).

I suppose the question I'm really asking is:

1) Should I replace the tyres with the Bridgestone runflats (£120 a pop), or choose different tyres?
2) Is is worthwhile upgrading the size of the tyres (not overly concerned about looks at the moment, as that can be taken care of later, but if it makes the ride better, then I'm all for it)
3) Should I stick with runflats or go to non-runflats and hope for the best?

Thank you and apologies for the (probably) simple questions!

wegras

Re: Bridgestone run flat tyres

Post by wegras » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:45 pm

just waiting to wear out the RE050s then will be replacing with Michelins RFT
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:11 pm

Welcome along...

That last post is mine :D

you are on 16", not sure if Michelin do them in that size - only ever ran 18" on my car... I know they didnt do the 17" in the ZP...

1) not they really are cr*p!
2) depends on your budget...
3) as no 2, depends on budget, good runflat's (ie michelin) arent cheap, but afford the benefit of not having to carry extra loads to deal with punctures etc..
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

cybermaniac

Post by cybermaniac » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:11 am

gannet wrote:Welcome along...

you are on 16", not sure if Michelin do them in that size - only ever ran 18" on my car... I know they didnt do the 17" in the ZP...

3) as no 2, depends on budget, good runflat's (ie michelin) arent cheap, but afford the benefit of not having to carry extra loads to deal with punctures etc..

Your car looks like a beaut! Same colour and body as mine. So definitely enjoyed seeing what could be done!

Found this website for the 16" ones http://www.citytyre.co.uk/tyre-2274-225 ... _RE050.htm

My budget is somewhat.......low at the moment. So I was considering replacing the tyres with what is on there at the moment, then replace all four wheels with newer tyres and new rims a bit later in the year. Have you found a big difference with the new tyres?

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:52 am

cybermaniac wrote:
gannet wrote:Welcome along...

Your car looks like a beaut! Same colour and body as mine. So definitely enjoyed seeing what could be done!

Found this website for the 16" ones http://www.citytyre.co.uk/tyre-2274-225 ... _RE050.htm

My budget is somewhat.......low at the moment. So I was considering replacing the tyres with what is on there at the moment, then replace all four wheels with newer tyres and new rims a bit later in the year. Have you found a big difference with the new tyres?
The difference between the bridgestone and michelin runflats was night and day. Everything the non-runflat guys advocate, applies to the michelin's.... no tramlining, more compliant ride (noticed as we drove of tyre place forecourt), and on the upside they last almost twice the distance, so while they may be expensive they last longer - for instance when I sold the car the first set of front were still going (~4mm tread left) after 24k. The first set of rears lasted 17k. In contrast the new bridgestone the dealer installed when we bought the car last just 9k :o
-- Gannet.

NigelB

Post by NigelB » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:39 am

Bridgestone Run Flats just plain DANGEROUS!!!
Mazda MX5 1.8i 20th Anniversary Edition - 2010 - Crystal Pearl White
Previously Z4 2007 2.0i Sport Roadster - Sapphire Black - Pearl Grey Oregon Leather

cybermaniac

Post by cybermaniac » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:49 pm

Gannet, do you remember which Michellin tyres you got? I seem to be being a noob and can't quite fine the ZP ones.

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:52 pm

NigelB wrote:Bridgestone Run Flats just plain DANGEROUS!!!
+1 to that!
cybermaniac wrote:Gannet, do you remember which Michellin tyres you got? I seem to be being a noob and can't quite fine the ZP ones.
Michelin PS2 ZP - ZP = Zero Pressure.

just looked for you, doesn't seem like they do them in your size :(
-- Gannet.

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:36 pm

Can of tyre repair in the boot and you'll have access to quality tyres such as Falken 452s, Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta and Avon ZZ5s. All good tyres, which don't cost the earth :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster