Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

POLL - Winter tyres

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion

Winter Tyres from people that have tried them!

That work brilliantly - I 100% recommend them
69%
They are very good
14%
Not sure if I would buy them again
No votes
Don't see what the fuss is about
17%

Total votes: 29

oli445

POLL - Winter tyres

Post by oli445 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:37 pm

I wouldn't be without them now. Been driving around FWD Audi's, fords etc that have got stuck! I got my mum some on her FWD Ford and that has worked a treat too!

My experience of yesterday was that my RWD Z with winters was 10 times more capable than the girlfriends FWD Streetka!

In my opinion, you should have a full set of winters on at least one car in your household!

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Re: POLL - Winter tyres

Post by aquazi » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:01 pm

Need another option.... Don't have them, wish I had them.... After I got stuck yesterday :headbang:

oli445

Post by oli445 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:13 pm

The poll is supposed to be from people that HAVE used them only! I suspect the people that have voted 'don't know what all the fuss is about' haven't! If you vote +ive or -ive please share your comments on your experience!

Marco

Post by Marco » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:14 pm

Mine came into their own last night on the M25 and M3, I found I was cruising along confidently at a reasonable speed overtaking everyone else. :driving:

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:54 pm

Unless you put your car away for the winter I consider them an necessity for winter driving... :driving:
Even if you don't drive in the snow summer performance tire do not do well with cold temps and you need tires that deal with the cold and wet roads as well as snow.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:11 pm

Have been sledging today, first time for Lucy, we have never before been able to get anywhere in the Zed or most other cars that I have had, to be able to get to a hill. Thanks to my 439's winter tyres I have had a fantastic day of which the memories are worth 10 x the cost of the tyres

Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:37 pm

First year with winter tyres and is Mrs J is the principle user when I am away she reports a significant improvement and feels safer driving.
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Boogle

Post by Boogle » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:07 pm

aquazi wrote:Need another option.... Don't have them, wish I had them.... After I got stuck yesterday :headbang:
+1. Haven't got winter tyres, haven't got stuck - but would definitely like a set of spare alloys with winter tyres.
Z4 '06 3.0si Sport Silver Grey, Cruise, Aux-Input, Dension, ZHP
Prev: Z4 '57 2.0 Sport Stratus Grey
Soft Top Care Guide

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:38 pm

This is my second winter with winter tyres: 2010/11 was just my Z4 and the campervan, 2011/12 has also included the wife's Fabia vRS. Given where we live (high potential for snow and a lot of unclassified, i.e. not cleared, roads) and that my wife MUST get into work - no ifs, buts or maybes - winter tyres are a no-brainer for us.
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

POLL - Winter tyres

Post by Adamski » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:57 pm

In my circumstances, I can either use another car or take public transport to commute.

All other driving is optional. If it snows, I don't take the zed out, hence my vote - don't see what all the fuss is about.

Now, if the zed was the only car I had access to - different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

delarge

Post by delarge » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:29 pm

Mine are useless*, i got stuck in the snow last night in Clapham until a friendly taxi driver helped me push it up a slope with the missus driving.

*when i say useless they're still in the garage at the M-I-L's

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:41 pm

Had my car for a few years now, got stuck every year... bought 2nd hand winters off Blue and tested them out for the first time today... bloody brilliant... even went deliberately into some dicey areas where I wouldn't have stood a chance before and they didn't miss a beat. I'd go so far as to say they should be compulsary in winter months, not optional.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:02 pm

sp3ctre wrote:I'd go so far as to say they should be compulsary in winter months, not optional.

But then we would be like the Germans :evil: :fuelfire:

I think I may have to invest in a set for next year now.... Fancy some new lightweight 17" alloys for ages now... Be a good excuse for them!!!

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:08 pm

sp3ctre wrote:Had my car for a few years now, got stuck every year... bought 2nd hand winters off Blue and tested them out for the first time today... bloody brilliant... even went deliberately into some dicey areas where I wouldn't have stood a chance before and they didn't miss a beat. I'd go so far as to say they should be compulsary in winter months, not optional.
In Pennsylvania and some other states as well if you get stuck in the snow on a route designated as a "Snow Emergency Route" which is most of the main streets and routes and if you don't have winter tires fitted you get a citation and fine. I believe the fine is $300.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Finisterre

Post by Finisterre » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:14 pm

I voted excellent.

We have been out and about in snow today. It was deep enough to be interesting. We had to straddle the previous tyre tracks so the front didn't turn into our own personal little black snow plough.

That looks like a lovely day out sars.
Are you sure the poor wee mite didn't get cold hands start crying and want to go home just as you were beginning to really enjoy a bit of sledging?
:)
E85 2.0. + E39 530i touring.