Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 Tyre Pressures

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Nigel P

Z4 Tyre Pressures

Post by Nigel P » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:50 am

May be a dumb question from a new member. I am about to change all 4 run-flats for ordinary rubber. Do the BMW recommended tyre pressures still apply? If not what pressures do I use, those recommended by the tyre manufacturers?

Nigel P

JimmyPop

Re: Z4 Tyre Pressures

Post by JimmyPop » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:56 am

What tyres are you using? For most of the common non-runflats you should be able to find a thread on here detailing everyone's preferred tyre pressures. I have Vreds on mine and most people recommended NOT using the pressures listed on their website.

Also, welcome! Why not post a wee thread in the newbies section (with pics!)

RCT_Z4Coupe

Post by RCT_Z4Coupe » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:45 pm

Nigel P wrote:May be a dumb question from a new member. I am about to change all 4 run-flats for ordinary rubber. Do the BMW recommended tyre pressures still apply? If not what pressures do I use, those recommended by the tyre manufacturers?

Nigel P
Nigel - would be very interested to know how you get on changing from RFT's to ordinary rubber, and how the car performs. Thinking of ditching mine at some stage. However, I dropped the pressures on mine to 32/35 (lower than the recommended pressures) and it does ride a lot nicer.
Z4 3.0 Si Sport Coupe Navy Nappa Leather, Heated Memory Seats, Xenons, Navigation System + Bluetooth, Park Assist, Cup Holders

Psy

Post by Psy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:39 pm

RCT_Z4Coupe wrote:However, I dropped the pressures on mine to 32/35 (lower than the recommended pressures) and it does ride a lot nicer.

Hmm, will try this too - thanks for tip. :thumbsup:
Si
'06 3.0si M-sport Auto
Midnight Blue, Pearl Leather, stubby, flappy paddles, foldy mirrors, OEM brace, defoamed, debadged, forum sticker, and now on Falken 452s!

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:26 pm

I don't know the exact numbers between the Z4M and the Z4 3.0 (someone might want to advise?) , but given the former has non-RFTs and its recommended tyre pressures are, I think :? , 3 psi or so lower than the 3.0 with its RFTs, lowering them a bit when fitting RFTs makes sense.... :driving: :?
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

RCT_Z4Coupe

Post by RCT_Z4Coupe » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:11 pm

Psy wrote:
RCT_Z4Coupe wrote:However, I dropped the pressures on mine to 32/35 (lower than the recommended pressures) and it does ride a lot nicer.

Si
Be interested to know how you got on :thumbsup:
Z4 3.0 Si Sport Coupe Navy Nappa Leather, Heated Memory Seats, Xenons, Navigation System + Bluetooth, Park Assist, Cup Holders

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Nigel P wrote:May be a dumb question from a new member. I am about to change all 4 run-flats for ordinary rubber. Do the BMW recommended tyre pressures still apply? If not what pressures do I use, those recommended by the tyre manufacturers?

Nigel P
I use more or less the manufacturer stated pressure with non RFTs. All good here :)
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

Finisterre

Post by Finisterre » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:33 am

I have tried several just to see what they feel like
first two on eagle f1 and the other three michelin winter (alpin)

34 - 34
32 - 32
30 - 30
32 - 35
33 - 38

It doesn't make a deal of difference soft are comfy, hard are twitchier.
I think I am going to try 34 -36 next week...
This is on a 2.0. which feels a bit 'throw-ier' to me than the 3.0.
E85 2.0. + E39 530i touring.

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:06 pm

Finisterre wrote:I have tried several just to see what they feel like
first two on eagle f1 and the other three michelin winter (alpin)

34 - 34
32 - 32
30 - 30
32 - 35
33 - 38

It doesn't make a deal of difference soft are comfy, hard are twitchier.
I think I am going to try 34 -36 next week...
This is on a 2.0. which feels a bit 'throw-ier' to me than the 3.0.
Out of interest, given the softer compound on your winters and the fact that temperatures have regularly been above the recommended 7c, do you think its a fair comparison, as surely they will be running more like a flatter tyre already?
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

Stromtech

Post by Stromtech » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:09 pm

RCT_Z4Coupe wrote:I dropped the pressures on mine to 32/35 (lower than the recommended pressures) and it does ride a lot nicer.
Thanks for that tip...I was at 33/36 and I dropped mine to 32/35 a couple of days back and went for a blast down a windy poor surfaced road...there was a difference in comfort. RFTs with the M Sport suspension package on my car are just too harsh for my liking, particularly in this cooler weather (5-7C). Your suggestion makes the ride more bearable. Now I may hold off till the late Summer to buy new tires as I still have 70% on these RFTs.
2004 3.0i 6 speed, Sterling Grey, Premium, Sport and Convenience packages

Finisterre

Post by Finisterre » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:25 pm

Comfort-wise I can't tell the compounds apart. But the winter grip is amazing. I put the winter tyre pressures up to see if the smaller footprint might give me a bit more sideways action when thrashing around the lanes. I am not getting any movement except on packed snow.
So that was a bust :(
E85 2.0. + E39 530i touring.

fazeryam

Post by fazeryam » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:48 pm

Hi
Is anyone using Bridgestone non runflats? What pressure would you recommend?

Psy

Post by Psy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:31 am

Psy wrote:

Si

Ok, checked preasures today - way to low!

I was at 24/29 - I increased to 32/35.
So, opposite to RCT above...

Car feels sharper and more responsive on the stearing wheel, less 'pull' on the wheel.
Far more feedback coming to driver at this pressure. May be in my head, but feels great.

Havent tried higher pressures.

Si
'06 3.0si M-sport Auto
Midnight Blue, Pearl Leather, stubby, flappy paddles, foldy mirrors, OEM brace, defoamed, debadged, forum sticker, and now on Falken 452s!

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:58 am

Psy, it's not in your head - tyre pressures that low will feel awful, and wear your tyres a lot faster. Glad you sorted it out, enjoyment will be doubled :driving:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...