Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Summer tyre recommendations

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
RichardG

Post by RichardG » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:35 pm

Had a quick look within these hallowed pages and the question has been asked a few times but the response has been muted to say the least.
Anyway when changing to my winters a few weeks ago I noticed just how low my summer tyres were and will need to change them before I swap them back over.
I have been running Falken 452s for a several years and just fancy a change but seem to have chosen a time when several of the manufacturers are updating their ranges and not all sizes either outgoing or incoming seem to be available.
Budget wise I guess I'm looking somewhere in the region of the Falken or the Vred Sessantas.
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:07 pm

When I renew my tyres I'm going for Vreds US.

Michelin PS2s are a bit too expensive for my liking, but they are a top quality tyre (PS2s were my last tyres).

I'm currently running Avon ZZ5s. They're good, and better than the ZZ3s which they replace. Full set of ZZ5s fitted was c.£550.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

Lance

Re: Summer tyre recommendations

Post by Lance » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:02 pm

I'm running Vred US all round on a 2.5 and have been for about 10k miles.

Can't fault them :thumbsup:

Done 2 Ring trips, a dozen or so laps, plus a session on the GP circuit, tyres were excellent.

Under £400 for the lot.

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:35 pm

Perhaps going against the flow here but I am very happy with my Continental Extreme Contact DW's. It's a well balance tire that provides good wear, excellent wet traction, comfortable ride, good handling, low noise and a reasonable price. It has always been in the top 3 or 4 of Tire Rack's test of summer performance tires where the Michelin Pilot Super Sport has usually been the top rated tire. Continental Extreme Contact DW is only sold under that name in North America so I not sure what the equivalent tire is across the pond.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Finisterre

Post by Finisterre » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:53 pm

And I heard the latest goodyear f1 is very quiet indeed

I am tempted by that because I really like to hear birdsong while pootling through the woods.
E85 2.0. + E39 530i touring.

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:02 am

Finisterre wrote:And I heard the latest goodyear f1 is very quiet indeed

I am tempted by that because I really like to hear birdsong while pootling through the woods.
A number of individuals in our local Zed club run F1's and are very well pleased with them. If Goodyear made the F1 in the size combination need for the ///M I would have likely purchased them instead of the Continentals that I am running.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

KERMIT1970

Post by KERMIT1970 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:31 am

WLH agree i recomend continentals i think they are called contact 5 in the uk.fitted them to my 335d last month & what a differance to bridestone RFT,s
Cars: 2016 M4 vert YMB & X3m Comp. E30 325i Sport. Z3M

Gone
: 2014 z4 35is melbourne red & black leather
: 335d M sport Coupe Black with red leather
: z4 Coupe 3.0 si Red with Black Leather 18" CSL`s
: z3 2.2 sport

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:28 pm

KERMIT1970 wrote:WLH agree i recomend continentals i think they are called contact 5 in the uk.fitted them to my 335d last month & what a differance to bridestone RFT,s
If it's the SportContact 5 then you'll not find the same model in front & rear profiles.

I believe the fronts are available in the '5' model and the rears in the '5P' model. These were one of the tyres I was considering along with the new Michelin PSS, Goodyear F1A-2, and Conti ForceContact.

Not a huge amount of difference between the two '5' models, but would still be a similar amount of difference to running a PS2 on the front and a PS3/PSS/SportContact/F1A on the rear, which some may not consider to be wise.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options