Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Interesting Autocar article

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:37 am

Just been reading Autocar online, stumbled on an interesting blog about the 1M' 19" standard wheels being swapped for 18" winter wheels and the ride being transformed......

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/whyilove ... inter.aspx
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Interesting Autocar article

Post by AlanJ » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:51 pm

Fitted 18' winter tyres to my wife's 325 from the OEM 19s and the driving experience transformed from harsh to comfortable. Doesn't look as good but form over function I think...!
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:11 pm

I use my standard 18" wheels for track days, and 19" CSLs to make the car look pretty the rest of the time.
The wider, lower profile 19" tyres are much more noisy on smooth surfaces, and crashy over even small undulations in the tarmac. Even with road tyres on the 18" wheels grip is improved over the 19s, simply by reducing the skittishness of a very stiff car and tyre wall combination.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:20 pm

Almost begs the question - how good would the ride be with 17s?!

It would most certainly look awful...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

bigdog

Post by bigdog » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Heck. I should have kept my 2000 Kenworth W900L for cruising around.:driving: As it had 10 22.5" Alcoa Aluminum wheels. That would make me 2.5 times cooler than everyone else.:D
"Car Lovers drive Lotus Elises or Zeds, Psychopaths drive Se7ens."

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:29 pm

It's probably as much to do with the suspension AND the tyres/wheels.

Remember, stiff = sporty.

The wheels are only big to look cool.

And then, as James May pointed out on Top Gear a while back, how many cars are ruined by being honed at the Ring, that place where 1% of owners will go, and where 1% of those people actually drive it to the point they benefit from it's setup (so about 2 people in the world :D )

Alpina manage to fit 19" wheels and not ruin cars rides quite so much, so I do believe it's as much about suspension too!

If it wasn't stiff and harsh, and had 18" wheels, people would think it wasn't 'sporty' or look as good.

Unfortunately the demographic that makes up most M car buyers these days demand a stupid flawed car. A great shame for those that want a decent M road car.

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

bigdog

Post by bigdog » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:15 pm

Mr Whippy wrote:It's probably as much to do with the suspension AND the tyres/wheels.

Remember, stiff = sporty.

The wheels are only big to look cool.

And then, as James May pointed out on Top Gear a while back, how many cars are ruined by being honed at the Ring, that place where 1% of owners will go, and where 1% of those people actually drive it to the point they benefit from it's setup (so about 2 people in the world :D )

Alpina manage to fit 19" wheels and not ruin cars rides quite so much, so I do believe it's as much about suspension too!

If it wasn't stiff and harsh, and had 18" wheels, people would think it wasn't 'sporty' or look as good.

Unfortunately the demographic that makes up most M car buyers these days demand a stupid flawed car. A great shame for those that want a decent M road car.

Dave
It's even worse in the motorcycle industry. It was a regular occurrence at the shop I worked at to see a kid come in, Go in debt up to their eyes. Then one year later they would come in to get a new bike (didn't matter that they owed more than the old one was worth). When asked why they had to have the new one. About 99% of the time, The only reason given would be that the bike mags tested the new one. And it was .1 seconds faster in the quarter mile. With the young 18-35 motorcyclist demo It mostly came down to ego/penile enhancement/brochure racing, And a bank financed check book bigger than their brain.
There was a great test back in the 1980's when the water cooled, mono shock motoX bikes came out. The magazine took 5 or 10 avg. riders and put them on a new machine. Then put an older retired racer on a ten year old machine. guess who won. The old rider on the crap 10 year old uncool machine.
"Car Lovers drive Lotus Elises or Zeds, Psychopaths drive Se7ens."