Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New alloys for Winter tyres

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Allattar

New alloys for Winter tyres

Post by Allattar » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:27 pm

Time for me to look for some new rims to put winter tyres on. I have decided that with the new Zed I'll put proper cold weather tyres on this year.

The only thing is I have no idea were to start looking for alloys. True I could go straight to BMW but being honest with myself here I am looking for a spare set of alloys to use over the winter months. Where we get the worst weather and the most amount of muck coming off the roads.

Bearing that in mind I figure a set of second hand alloys, nothing too expensive, would probably do. Likewise I dont figure I need the best alloys out there.

How much would you expect to pay for a set of second hand alloys?
I currently have 17inch alloys on there at the moment, quite happy with looking for similar.
Should I go specifically for BMW alloys? Another idea is to just get some cheap rims from Halfords as long as they fit, or is that a definate no no.

Any tips or advice on buying second hand alloys?
----------------
Z4 sDrive20i
----------------

nicollow

Re: New alloys for Winter tyres

Post by nicollow » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Get second hand proper OEM BMW ones on eBay I recon. They dont have to be fancy or nothing, but your insurance could be a sticking point if you dont have proper OEM stuff on. I bought some 16" E46 one for £150 that are in really good condition. Use this website: http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/ to see what will fit Z4s... :thumbsup:

Finisterre

Post by Finisterre » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:02 pm

I paid 220 for four refurbished 17s on ebay.

double spokey flowery kindas
E85 2.0. + E39 530i touring.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:18 pm

BMW want about £400/corner for their 17" wheel & tyre.

If you're not fussed about looks you can get (from somewhere like Mytyres) a full set of 16" steel wheels & winter tyres from £400 or 17" alloys & winter tyres for £600 (Linglongs) or £800/corner (Falken/Maragoni/Avon/Nokian).
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:27 pm

Ebay for wheels to take the grit and dirt over winter, then as others have said Mytyres.co.uk will get you something to wrap round them... :thumbsup:
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

Allattar

Post by Allattar » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:18 pm

Thanks for the links, time to go research and spend money.

Looks not the highest priority for winter, Ill swap them over when the weather is better :).
----------------
Z4 sDrive20i
----------------