Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Nail in tyre

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Bing
Legend
Legend

Re: Nail in tyre

Post by Bing » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:01 pm

ksher wrote:I just copied the info. from AA website. :P

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/sa ... rogen.html
I think the AA took some scientific liberty with the first point to make it 'public friendly' - it's about corrosion, and whilst some people may not be able to define 'inert', they understand that moisture can cause corrosion... :roll:

As for the slightly inaccurate percentage sars - I am always reassured by pedantic engineers :D
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

ScottM

Re: Nail in tyre

Post by ScottM » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:23 am

In 20+ years of driving pre-Z4, I've only ever had two punctures. In 1 year of Z4 driving, I've had two punctures, doing the same journeys as before.

That could just be unfortunate, but it's statistically a bit odd. Also (maybe just my perception, but...) there seems more talk of punctures on this forum than in other car forums I've used.

So I've been wondering... are the run-flat tyres more susceptible to punctures? (That is, a nail or whatever that wouldn't trouble a normal tyre, causes a puncture in a run-flat)?

And/or - what's the likelihood that malicious people would deliberately put a nail under the tyre of a "nice" car while it's parked? (Although I haven't had that problem with previous nice cars)