Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyres for 16" wheels

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
z4chris

Tyres for 16" wheels

Post by z4chris » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:07 pm

Hello, sorry for another tyres question - I promise I did a search first!

I'm down to about 2mm on the rear tyres on my 56 plate 2.5 so need to find some new boots. I've got the original 16" wheels, and so know that the first suggestion from folks around here would be to upgrade to 17" or even 18" wheels, but sadly my budget doesn't stretch to that - and I actually rather like the look of the 104s. So that leaves a couple of options:
  • The front tyres are the originals, and so now about 6 years old. They've still got 4 - 5mm left on them, but they are showing a little bit of crazing, so I could move them to the rear to use them up, and stick some new Bridgestone RFTs on the front. Cost about £300.
  • Put non-RFTs on all round. Falken FK452s would be one option - does anyone here use them on the 16"? Cost about £390. There doesn't seem to be many great options for my size - 225/50/16. I'm concerned about the impact on my insurance (Direct Line, but due for renewal on Xmas Eve :o ) - do any insurers actually worry about the tyre change?
I use the car as my only day-to-day vehicle, but if it snows I can live without it... Anybody got any good suggestions or experience?

Cheers,

Chris.

Fat fella

Re: Tyres for 16" wheels

Post by Fat fella » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:22 pm

PM sent.

daviddi

Post by daviddi » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:27 pm

I have 16" for winter use (oct to march) and have KUMHO 225/50/16 and have found them to be a good all rounder, no tramming and very little road noise, hope this helps :driving:

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:40 pm

Insurers aren't too bothered about RFT or non RFT. The main thing is that the tyres are stuitable for the vehicle. If you're worried, ask your insurance company before hand for peace of mind.

I would go for non RFTs... Falken FK452s are a good tyre :thumbsup:
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

cj_eds

Post by cj_eds » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:53 pm

Adamski wrote:Insurers aren't too bothered about RFT or non RFT. The main thing is that the tyres are stuitable for the vehicle. If you're worried, ask your insurance company before hand for peace of mind.
+1.

I emailed the IAM Insurers/Underwriters about non-runflats on mine and they didn't mind as long as the tyres were suitable and I wasn't doing something daft like fitting space savers all round.

z4chris

Post by z4chris » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:51 am

Thanks all - will give the insurance a call tomorrow and see what they say...