Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter Tyre Information - info / threads / posts / vids

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
A1GSS

Re: Winter Tyre Information - info / threads / posts / vids

Post by A1GSS » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:46 pm

Yes, very good, I've had four winters out of a set so far on the Disco, about 15000 miles in all. I'm not planning to use the Z4 in the winter (or, not much) so won't be changing the standard RFTs.
Graham.

2011 Z4 23i sDrive Space Grey / Coral Red

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:12 pm

20k miles on the disco vreds but about five years and starting to show some signs of very light cracking at the edges.
Nevertheless I will still buy another set if one goes pop or fails an not!

Good value rubber that works summer and winter. That's why I can't understand inters ?
If they work on 3tonnes of car they must be ok on a lightweight .
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

A1GSS

Post by A1GSS » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:22 pm

:thumbsup:

Never going to overwhelm the laws of physics though. I've done some severe winter road work in hilly Yorkshire on winter tyres in the D3, snow & ice mode on the TR, HDC and all, and it was great, but I was very conscious of its considerable mass. I'd done the same run previous year in a Passat with its standard tyres and nearly killed us all despite extreme caution.
Graham.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:33 pm

Agree with that , tho there are some who say they drive within their capabilities and don't need proper rubber!
I don't like the nanny state but sometimes !!!!!

A1GSS

Post by A1GSS » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:23 pm

:) quite right
Graham.

Kernow

Post by Kernow » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:36 pm

Hi everyone

My first posting on this site.

I'm currently looking at buying a new Z4 2.0 M Sport which will come with 19" wheels. Will need to get winter tyres and there is plenty of info on this site as to the best make etc. I can't find any reference to the best place to get additional 17" wheels ( don't want to pay BMW prices). Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Most impressive car from the test drive, changing from an MX5

Regards

A1GSS

Post by A1GSS » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:41 pm

Hi, welcome along. You could post a wanted ad.

Mine's got 17s that I'm thinking of swapping for 18s, I won't use it in the winter so only want one set of rims... Just the timing is bad at the moment otherwise I might offer you a deal.
Graham.

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:21 pm

Kernow, you could try http://www.rimstyle.com/alloywheels/veh ... W&model=Z4

Or fleabay of course
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

A1GSS

Post by A1GSS » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:10 pm

That's a good site thanks. :thumbsup:
Graham.

Eviltad

Post by Eviltad » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:24 pm

I know its "sod's law" but as I'm due to replace a pair of Winter tyres (Kuhmo snow somethings) which have been good on the 1 snow day in 3 years they have had, but fairly crap in damp or wet conditions, I am considering All Weather's as an alternative to the dedicated "Winter tyres" on offer.

Has anyone any experience or advice bearing in mind I'm in Birmingham and not Bavaria?

I.E if it snows, will the All Weather's be useless and if its Wet, I might as well have my Summer tyres on so I've bought another set of tyres for no reason?

Good Article (but can't find CrossClimates in my size)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Is ... nd-out.htm
2007 Z4 Roadster 3.0si, Silver Grey w/black hood, BBS CH's (Winter Set), Amarone leather and piano black trim, stubby aerial. In need of....Headlight Washer Jet Cover if anyone has a spare.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:13 pm

Something to look at !
http://youtu.be/elP_34ltdWI

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:24 pm

Eviltad wrote:I know its "sod's law" but as I'm due to replace a pair of Winter tyres (Kuhmo snow somethings) which have been good on the 1 snow day in 3 years they have had, but fairly crap in damp or wet conditions, I am considering All Weather's as an alternative to the dedicated "Winter tyres" on offer.

Has anyone any experience or advice bearing in mind I'm in Birmingham and not Bavaria?

I.E if it snows, will the All Weather's be useless and if its Wet, I might as well have my Summer tyres on so I've bought another set of tyres for no reason?

Good Article (but can't find CrossClimates in my size)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Is ... nd-out.htm
Id go one way or the other & maybe consider investing in some Nokian's & run them all year round :

I'm currently running 4 Hankook Icept winters on our C Class & unless i upgrade to 19s next spring will more than likely run them all year but the car only does 50/60 miles a week average

A read off the web after question asked "Can i run my Nokian winters all year round ? "

A. There are probably differing views to this question from within the tyre trade. Firstly, there is no reason with regards to safety that you cannot Nokian winter tyres all year round - their performance does not diminish in warmer weather. However, the rate of wear will be higher during the summer - not so noticeable that you start leaving black tyre marks on the road! Our recommendation is to change tyres because for a winter tyre to be effective in the cold weather it needs a minimum of 3mm of tread remaining. With less than 3mm of tread remaining a winter tyre does not perform at its optimum. Therefore to "run off" the tread during the summer and find that you have 3 or 4mm remaining when the cold weather sets in seems a waste. That is the only reason we do not recommend running Nokian winter tyres all year round.
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Guiseley

Post by Guiseley » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:39 pm

Evo report - basically don't run winters in summer, or summers in winter :D

We've got four cars and sets of winters for each that might see some cold weather driving. After doing a head to head in the cold in almost identical cars a few years ago I think the winter / summer swap gives longer combined life and gives you better grip in cold, damp and snow.

Have had a Quattro try to follow a zed up an incline with winters and fail :evil:

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/17033/sho ... o-your-car
Blue Z4C now long gone, as is it's replacement, and the Red Zed's gone too.. now piloting a rather tasty Carmine flat6

MGB

Post by MGB » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:53 pm

HI

First post here.

i've been running 17inch Cross climates on my Skoda Yeti 1.8TSI for over a year, very pleased with summer performance and feel, noise, etc, not tried in snow yet. 225 x 50 x 17. Also wearing very well indeed.

Saves the bother of switching over summer and winter and storage
Z4 3.0i SE 2003

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:38 am

MGB wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:53 pm HI

First post here.

i've been running 17inch Cross climates on my Skoda Yeti 1.8TSI for over a year, very pleased with summer performance and feel, noise, etc, not tried in snow yet. 225 x 50 x 17. Also wearing very well indeed.

Saves the bother of switching over summer and winter and storage
The issue is that a Z4 is not a Yeti....the joy of pushing a Z4 very hard through corners without any risk of sliding / breaking is a benefit you get from pure summer tyres..good as all weather tyres are, I have them on my XC 70....so I have the benefit of trying both..all IMHO