Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter Tyre Information - info / threads / posts / vids

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Winter Tyre Information - info / threads / posts

Post by PawnSacrifice » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:56 pm

Thanks - was skimming through, I'll try and update later / this weekend with some more info.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:05 pm

Color wrote:I can share some experiences about winter tyres, for what it's worth (some years driving a Z4 in snowy conditions).

First about the 'cheap' manufacturer for wheels: What worked well for me was non-BMW winter rims (alutec), not the cheapest nor the most expensive. For tires I had the best in test, I would not mess with the rubber quality as it will be vital to how the car performs on a winter road and well as braking distance.

- Go with slim tyres, i.e low thread width, this will improve traction.
If you have unequal thread width for summer tyres that is ok, but use equal width for all winter tyres.
(I had 225/255 summer tires and 225 all round winter tires)

- I will usually change to winter tyres after the first night of ice forming on car windows at night. When sunny day temperature drops to about max 5-10 'C (Avoid driving with winter tyres at summer, damages the rubber)

- Check the speed rating of your winter tyres and abide by it - winter tyres usually have a lower rating and exceeding it might damage the rubber and affect your tires winter performance.

Some advice on driving during winter:

- Always leave the traction control ON, unless you plan to go power sliding :) - actually I do a lot more power sliding at winter, good way to practice

- Take extra care driving when it has just snowed or it's snowing.

- If you plan to go driving in serious snowy conditions/crappy roads which are not being regularly plowed/salted, bring a small foldable shovel and a large pack of salt and/or coarse sand just in case you get stuck (The added weight in the trunk from these items also helps to improve rear wheel traction).
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:26 pm

Fantastic Work, slow day at work :poke:
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:28 pm

RichardG wrote:...slow day at work :poke:
:lol: Well, a busy lunch hour! And then a bit of editing in the evening. More to come when I have the time. A worthy topic.

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:01 pm

Good effort Matt :thumbsup:

I'm a total convert to winter tyres after using them on 2 vehicles (Z4 and campervan) through last winter. Yes it's extra expense, but it's not significant and it's certainly worth it.

And I can confirm you can still get the arse end out on icy/snowy carparks even with winter tyres :driving: (all in the name of skill development of course...)
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

T1berious

Post by T1berious » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:35 am

Hi,

I'm just trying to get some Winter Tyres sorted out for the E92. Is it OK to use the same size tyres front and rear? Looking at getting some 17" rims just for the job of Winter so was looking at getting non staggered.

Cheers for any info as I'm loosing sleep having not sorted out yet.

T1b
Current
718 Cayman GTS 4.0, Kia EV6 GT line S

F87 M2C ,F82 440i, E85 Z4MR, E92 330i All Gone!

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:46 pm

Pretty sure that'll be a recommendation in the owner's manual. It WILL change the balance/handling of the car, but then you won't exactly be pushing on as much with winter tyres fitted!
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:33 pm

a11y wrote:Good effort Matt :thumbsup:

I'm a total convert to winter tyres after using them on 2 vehicles (Z4 and campervan) through last winter. Yes it's extra expense, but it's not significant and it's certainly worth it.

And I can confirm you can still get the arse end out on icy/snowy carparks even with winter tyres :driving: (all in the name of skill development of course...)
Yep, massive convert here too... skill development is important too :)

T1berious , I have a 17" non-staggered setup on my Z4 for the winter - keeps the tyre cost down too. There will be models in your range that have no staggered setups anyway.

ADD to main topic:
Was talking with someone about winter tyres yesterday, which others might find useful...
OneCarefulOwner: "my normal tyres are Z rated, but winters seem to be only H or T?"
PS: "yes, I think it's due to the compound they use. You won't be doing 130+ (?!). May be worth confirming with your insurer."
OCO: "that's the insurers checked with; so long as the tyres are driven within their rating & the law, I'm covered."
PS: "Good to know. I think if you were driving at 135mph you might not be covered anyway!"
OCO: "pretty much what they said too ;)"

T1berious

Post by T1berious » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:11 pm

PawnSacrifice:

Cheers for the info fella! :thumbsup: better hit fleabay and get some rims :)
Current
718 Cayman GTS 4.0, Kia EV6 GT line S

F87 M2C ,F82 440i, E85 Z4MR, E92 330i All Gone!

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:02 pm

T1berious wrote:PawnSacrifice:

Cheers for the info fella! :thumbsup: better hit fleabay and get some rims :)
Okay, I am now both educated and convinced by the need for winter rims... Especially as my new baby came with spotless re-furbed 108s - so thanks for that PawnSacrifice :thumbsup:

The only things I can't figure out (and it could be me being blind) are :

1. Which 17" BMW rims will fit a 3.0 Si Sport, 'cos there are squillions on fleabay and I am VERY confused
2. If they are all the same width will they need spacers on the rear ? I have no experience of doing this at all, ever...
3. What do I have to do to make sure the tyre pressure monitor doesn't show an error if the rims weren't originally designed for RFTs ?

Help most gratefully received... :)
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

jaxZ4

Post by jaxZ4 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:22 pm

Great job putting that lot together PawnSacrifice !most helpful and a great reference...
04 Sterling Grey 3.0i SE SMG sadly sold. Now in an Aqua Blue 981 S P car

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:29 am

Bing...
1. if you stick with 17" Z4 rims you'll be fine. E46 3 series will be okay too.
2. Not an issue if you stick with the above.
3. You reset it when the wheels go on (it's in the manual) and then you're fine - RFT / non-RFT doesn't matter.

T1berious, thanks and good move :thumbsup:

jaxZ4, thanks, glad it's proving useful.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:54 am

Thanks PawnSacrifice - time to break out the Christmas credit card early... :P
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

mark my words

Post by mark my words » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:22 pm

Im convinced - winter tyre hunting season has officially started for me!!

Will 255 40 18 fit on my 2.5 for the rear?

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Winter Tyre Information - info / threads / posts / vids

Post by PawnSacrifice » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:44 pm

mark my words, they will fit but you may have some rubbing, although on the 2.5 setup you should be fine. I would always stick with the standard tyre sizes though.

UPDATE:
New video, SMMT, added to the first post (SMMT Cold Weather Tyres - Media Test Day), quite detailed review, if you're not convinced it's worth a look.