Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Latest all season tyre test

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:18 pm

Tyrereview’s all season tyre test, good informative watching with the new Michelin cross climate 2 and just in time for winter!

Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:39 pm

All season tyres are still an enigma for me.
In essence, they seem like the compromise choice for those who can't be arsed investing in a pukka winter wheel set.
I was always sceptical of full-on winter tyres until I got stuck trying to get up the shallowest of snow-covered ramps into a carpark, with a train of increasingly irate motorists waiting behind me. It was at that point I decided to invest in a set. :lol:

I've had a winter set for about 10 years now and they're the dog's in snow and ice. Go on in November, come off early March. Had Nokians which were tip top but now they're on Kumho Izens which are also stellar. Used the old 16" rims from an E36 coupe and the higher profile makes them super comfortable when driving. So much so that I've been loathed to re-mount the summers once March comes around.
Takes about an hour all told to swap a set using a jack and wrench and a general cleanup around hubs and bolts etc.
IMG_20190123_133103.jpg
IMG_20190123_133103.jpg (163.93 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:41 am

Chris_D...you really need to watch the test, as there is a comparison to 'control winter' and an accidental winter in the line up.

Even in full winter conditions, some of the all-seasons out-perform the full winter in some tests.

The biggest downside for me running an all-season all year round on the Z4, is that I'd want a bigger sidewall on a winter to help with unseen potholes and debris on the roads, and of course one wheel/tyre combo all year round will never be able to offer that!

On the Z4 I use a summer tyre all year round, but it rarely sees snow and has never become stuck...partly due to luck, partly due to skill, and partly due to looking out the window and deciding to take a different vehicle.

On the Alfa diesel I ran Cross-Climates all year round and took that on a couple of track days & Ring trips where the weather was looking poor. However it also helped out when there were a series of closures as I found a farm track through the woods where the Z4 would never make it, but the Alfa on CCs climbed up and over the hill, through the mud and over the fallen branches.

That was on gen 1 Cross-Climates, we're now on gen 3 (albeit called Cross-Climate 2 as there was a Cross-Climate Plus in between)...and the tests show they've improved in all areas...although I didn't see a muddy woody hill climb test in there :P
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:01 pm

I absolutely would not run an all season tyre all year round on a performance car, though on the family Golf certainly a set of Michelin cross climate 2’s would be a good option.

Depends where you live in the world, but certainly in England there seems little need for a full on Winter tyre, and probably the Netherlands too. As I’ve stated before a winter tyre is great if you live in a cold climate with an abundance of snow and ice for more than four months of the year, however hear we get winter days that see -5c in the morning, double figures after lunch and limited snowfall. This limits the usefulness of a true winter tyre, thus I use the all season for winter and a summer tyre for summer.
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible