Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Runflat Rear Only?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Street

Runflat Rear Only?

Post by Street » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:21 pm

I need to renew my fronts (225/45/18) of a staggered set. The rears are in good shape - BridgeStone Potenza Runflats 255/40/18

I'm an advocate for the benefits of removing the runflats but does anyone have an opinion on replacing them in stages?
Non-runflat fronts and runflat rears?

Is the non runflats alone going to help with any tramlining and ride quality?
3.0si Coupe Sapphire Black Target 300k miles
3.0si Coupe Sapphire Black Why have 1 when you could have 2!!

Serial Zed tinkerer. Always looking for the next Zed project :D

Zforbes

Runflat Rear Only?

Post by Zforbes » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:35 pm

Street wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:21 pm I need to renew my fronts (225/45/18) of a staggered set. The rears are in good shape - BridgeStone Potenza Runflats 255/40/18

I'm an advocate for the benefits of removing the runflats but does anyone have an opinion on replacing them in stages?
Non-runflat fronts and runflat rears?

Is the non runflats alone going to help with any tramlining and ride quality?
You may get a difference in responses but IMO keep the axles the same and you'll be fine, tramlining is mainly the fronts so changing them to non RFT's will make the biggest difference. I did this on an E46 some years ago now with no issues what so ever, just don't forget to buy a slime / compressor kit just in case of a punture :thumbsup:

Ride quality isn't as big as a difference as the tramlining though but a decent non RFT will give you lots more grip
E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Runflat Rear Only?

Post by ronk » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:52 pm

Zforbes wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:35 pm
……. but a decent non RFT will give you lots more grip
I think that answers the question.

Don’t do it! Change all four tyres is the safest way.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Street

Runflat Rear Only?

Post by Street » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:01 pm

Cheers guys
Both good advice. I'll have a look into what I might get second hand for the rears towards replacements and go from there. :thumbsup:
3.0si Coupe Sapphire Black Target 300k miles
3.0si Coupe Sapphire Black Why have 1 when you could have 2!!

Serial Zed tinkerer. Always looking for the next Zed project :D

M1k3yC

Runflat Rear Only?

Post by M1k3yC » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:09 am

I've posted my thoughts on runflats vs. non-runflats before. In short, I didn't like the Bridgestones that my E86 came with but was fine for years with Michelin runflats. I've recently moved away from runflats altogether and noticed a slight improvement but nothing (in my opinion) revolutionary. Some forum members have posted on here that runflats have improved a lot over recent years and now would be less concerned about running them.

To your question, I think that it depends on how you drive. I am normally not concerned about mixing tyres on a car as long as they are the same brand and type on each axle. My MX-5 is running like that until a couple wear out and I can match them all. However, if you like to drive hard and near the limit and expect a significant difference in grip between the front and back axle then I absolutely would not mix tyres in the way you're considering. You only need that to catch you out once and the bill will be much more than two tyres :( Personally, I wouldn't do what you're asking about for any length of time, despite what I've said about my MX-5, just because I don't like the idea of 50% runflat tyres. That's just my thoughts - the choice is yours and what's important is that you're confident in the car and consider it safe.
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

brillomaster

Runflat Rear Only?

Post by brillomaster » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:57 am

how long do you think the rears will last before they need replacement?

sounds like it'll be a while yet, in which case i'd take the runflats off and put them on ebay.

i ran a mis matched run flat/non run flat combo on a daily driver with no adverse issues, but only did it so i could buy front tyres from one paycheck and rears from the next.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Runflat Rear Only?

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:53 pm

I've never had issues with tramlining on BMWs (E46s and E86M) with non run-flats, but I had a few other models (E87 1 Series and E9* 3 Series) with Pirelli, Continental and other brands of run-flats that didn't seem to suffer from it either.

The Bridgestone Potenzas on my 3.0Si Coupes were just awful, but as they had decent tread on both cars I never got around to swapping them for "proper" tyres. :roll:

As someone said non runflats on the front should help with any tramlining, but given where you sit in a Z4 I think the rears would be far more likely to improve the ride.

I've never tried it but I can't see why having two of each at opposite ends should be a problem, unless you are driving like you stole it!

You could always try selling your rear Potenzas, or maybe just turn the T/C off and have some fun. :wink:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

kinger

Runflat Rear Only?

Post by kinger » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:00 pm

Ive just had a similar decision to make .
I recently broke a 326 alloy on the back of my car, i bought a new one from Poland and went to get the tyre swapped.
The run flat Potenza tyre had started to delaminate inside so i swapped the rear pair for 'normal' tyres, the difference is ride is amazing.
So the front pair will be swapped very shortly, i think they will bring in enough money to self fund the swap.

As my car was sat waiting for its new alloy to arrive i was playing with my Carly, i got distracted and left it in for a little over 2 weeks.
So flat battery and 'Hand Brake' failure followed.
I do have a mate with a garage that has all the BMW software, he reset my car for me to sort that problem out.
So if anyone in the Somerset / south west area is looking for someone to fix their handbrake failure without paying BMW prices...DM and ill pass their info on.
Mike

Current - E89 35is Saphire Black
Previous- E89 35i Space Grey