Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Will M2 competition 788M fit E86M?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sat May 29, 2021 8:41 am

Mos6689 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:17 pm Yea I get what you mean regarding spacers and I’ve used them in the past when I’ve had no choice. But ideally always try to avoid using them if possible.

Just fitted the tyres on the wheels today after letting the ceramic coat cure. Went for 265/35 on rears & 235/40 on the fronts. Went for these sizes for three reasons. Firstly it’s the closest to OEM in regards to rolling radius & speedo error. Secondly, it raised the car a few mm’s, rather than lowering it because I plan to lower it in the future. Finally I didn’t want to go down to 35 & 30 profiles because I’m worried the ride will be unbearably harsh. I’m used to stiff feeling cars & don’t mind them but the Z4 in general is close to my tolerance of how stiff I can go for a DD, without adding low profile tyres to completely kill it.

Fronts rub when on full lock, literally just, against the back on one side & front where the removable hatch for the headlights are. Looked again at the other two options, which were 275/30 or 265/30 on the rear & 245/35 or 235/35 fronts. The difference to OEM spec is what’s putting me off. It may sort out the rubbing, but I think I can live with it and just not go full lock by a quarter turn to prevent rubbing. Let alone having to fork out for a new set of tyres again. Rears are tight as hell but I didn’t experience any rubbing on the drive home. Will take it for a longer blast tomorrow and see.

The only thing that is annoying is unless I go low profile on the tyres next time around, I don’t think I can lower the car. My main reason for wanting to lower the car was to change the awful OEM springs they came with. I’m pretty sure the answer is no but is there an aftermarket upgraded set of springs that don’t lower the car & are more reliable than BMW?
A 225 40 18 front tyre will most likely cure your problem with virtually no visual difference , adding a spacer of any size will only worsen your predicament .
Once you have reached the point of contact its literally down to a matter of mm's between no rub & contact .
Even the new rubber 8mm+ against part worn 5mm can be the difference as can tyre brand ( Michelin being fuller than say a Conti6 or new PZero which both seem to have a slightly rolled outer shoulder compared to PS4s )
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sat May 29, 2021 10:45 am

Having woken up a bit since my last reply, agree with Mr Wilks - adding 5mm spacers will push the wheels out more so increase the rubbing. I'm really confused as to why my setup works and yours doesn't, my tyre profile is taller, width is greater, and offset is 10mm more aggressive, and there are no mods to the arches at the front, just the adjustable camber top mounts. I'll dig out my latest geo settings later to see if that sheds any light on it.
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(