Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Breakdown Cover & non-standard tyres

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Colin_E

Post by Colin_E » Fri May 14, 2021 7:23 pm

I've touched on this issue a couple of times in previous threads - but one issue that makes ditching runflats difficult on my E89 is that a lot of breakdown cover becomes invalid if you do so. When you delve into the small print (as you should) typically they insist on whatever the manufacturer fitted. My pan-European cover with Eversure just came up for renewal and I decided to bail because
a) Its not clear when / if my Z4 is going anywhere much AND
b) I'd like to switch to sensible tyres
So I wonder if anyone else looked at this and found a reliable annual breakdown cover that would work in (at least) France as well as UK even if non-runflat tyres were fitted?

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Fri May 14, 2021 9:23 pm

Surely you'd be in no different a situation than us Z4M owners who have non-runflats and a 'mobility kit' that's never been used and the fluid is probably completely solid as no-one has ever checked the expiry date or replaced it at the correct interval?

If either of us have a blowout or slashed tyre, neither type of tyre will be much use.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sat May 15, 2021 8:47 am

Have you found one example of someone being refused an emergency tyre fix/swap at the roadside because non-RFT's were fitted? If it's actually happened someone would be shouting about it on a forum.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Sat May 15, 2021 9:47 am

My AA cover specifically includes unlimited call outs for punctures.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat May 15, 2021 1:07 pm

My AA covered me for a puncture in a run flat without quibble..

Even if the car has run flats it can only go 50 mile ish max so it’s not going to get you home on a 1000 mile journey.

Interestingly they offered me 3 options

Recovery home

Sell me a space saver

Take me to a garage with known size of replacement tyre.

I declined the last two…I had several space savers already..they just happened to be at home :tumbleweed:

On the trip to the garage the make they offered was a budget spec at full retail which would not match the premium rubber fitted.

So enjoyed being transported home.

Colin_E

Post by Colin_E » Sat May 15, 2021 7:05 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:07 pm My AA covered me for a puncture in a run flat without quibble..
Maybe I wasn't clear. The cover I just let lapse would have covered runflats precisely because that was what came with the car. It would cover the foam & pump combo that my Mercedes came with on that car (& presumably it would cover Z4Ms if that was original equipment for them) but there's an exclusion clause if you have 'less' than OE. When I took the cover out a couple of years ago I found most of the European annual policies had similar wording.

Colin_E

Post by Colin_E » Sat May 15, 2021 7:22 pm

Ewazix wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:47 am Have you found one example of someone being refused an emergency tyre fix/swap at the roadside because non-RFT's were fitted? If it's actually happened someone would be shouting about it on a forum.
To be fair - no I haven't ......but I don't know of cases either where people in similar circumstances have had a fix either.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat May 15, 2021 7:30 pm

Colin_E wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:05 pm
Pbondar wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:07 pm My AA covered me for a puncture in a run flat without quibble..
Maybe I wasn't clear. The cover I just let lapse would have covered runflats precisely because that was what came with the car. It would cover the foam & pump combo that my Mercedes came with on that car (& presumably it would cover Z4Ms if that was original equipment for them) but there's an exclusion clause if you have 'less' than OE. When I took the cover out a couple of years ago I found most of the European annual policies had similar wording.
Hi Colin E…I noted your point.. my AA policy says the same..I was using precedent to indicate in my case no one checked..

In perspective a puncture with a non run flat tyre is a pleasant option compared to a totalled car etc ..

As we say in aviation better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission :thumbsup:

Colin_E

Post by Colin_E » Sat May 15, 2021 8:26 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:30 pm Hi Colin E…I noted your point.. my AA policy says the same..I was using precedent to indicate in my case no one checked..
OK gotcha :thumbsup:
Maybe the complexity of the issue and prevalence of varying alternatives to a proper spare mean that in reality it might get overlooked. FWIW I could live with a surcharge if a jobsworth decided to investigate - my fear is getting stuck somewhere and being met with a 'non' & a gallic shrug :roll:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat May 15, 2021 9:57 pm

Colin_E wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:26 pm
Pbondar wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:30 pm Hi Colin E…I noted your point.. my AA policy says the same..I was using precedent to indicate in my case no one checked..
OK gotcha :thumbsup:
Maybe the complexity of the issue and prevalence of varying alternatives to a proper spare mean that in reality it might get overlooked. FWIW I could live with a surcharge if a jobsworth decided to investigate - my fear is getting stuck somewhere and being met with a 'non' & a gallic shrug :roll:
Based on many years and countless trips to France the chances of a Gallic Onion pulling the plug on an esoteric technicality I would say is Zippo-n where n is a very large integer :thumbsup: