Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

(Almost) New wheels time! But will they fit?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Calps

Post by Calps » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:40 pm

Evening all,

I'm on the cusp of buying new wheels, and the offset can be set to whatever I want in the range of 25-52.

I'm currently on 18s MV2s (8j/8.5j), moving to 19s (8.5j/8.5j)

I'd like to maximise the opportunity to set the offset, so I'd be grateful if anyone could advise the max offset I could get away with front and rear while switching to a square 8.5j setup?

At the moment, I'm considering the following

Front 8.5j 19 et33 (sits out an extra 20.4mm)
Rear 8.5j 19 et28 (sits out an extra 22.0mm)

Tyres 235/35/19 (may also consider 225 if it helps the case)

Current suspension setup is Z4C with Bilstein B12 kit

Any and all comments/suggestions welcomed - you will be repaid with many many pictures of the finished product.
Thanks!
Last edited by Calps on Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MelZ: Black Sapphire Z4C

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:10 pm

I imagine the suspension on your car will have a bearing too.

I fitted a set of staggered 18s from an E89 to my previous E86 on OE M-Sport suspension that came with 108s, so fronts went from 8JET47 to 8JET29 that sat out another 18mm and I didn't have any issues with rubbing.

But the rears only went from 8.5JET50 to 8.5JET 40, and could have taken more. Quite a few people have fitted 224s to non-Ms and they have 9Jx18 ET30 rears so that is more than 20mm further out, but I don't know what difference 19s will make. Worth a visit to a site like"willtheyfit" if you haven't already done that.

TBH if I was buying a square set I'd probably go for the same offset all round for simplicity!

Good luck anyway. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Calps

Post by Calps » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:37 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:10 pm I imagine the suspension on your car will have a bearing too.

I fitted a set of staggered 18s from an E89 to my previous E86 on OE M-Sport suspension that came with 108s, so fronts went from 8JET47 to 8JET29 that sat out another 18mm and I didn't have any issues with rubbing.

But the rears only went from 8.5JET50 to 8.5JET 40, and could have taken more. Quite a few people have fitted 224s to non-Ms and they have 9Jx18 ET30 rears so that is more than 20mm further out, but I don't know what difference 19s will make. Worth a visit to a site like"willtheyfit" if you haven't already done that.

TBH if I was buying a square set I'd probably go for the same offset all round for simplicity!

Good luck anyway. :thumbsup:
Good shout on the suspension setup MrTidy, I should have included that detail - Z4C with Bilstein B12 kit. (Updated in OP as well).

I've visited willtheyfit.com already (it's where I got the +22mm/+20.4mm measurements from). Next step is to take a measuring tape out to the car and use my eyes to judge if the space is there or not, but always good to get the inputs of those who have been through this before, as I suspect my eyes might see what I want them to see :rofl:

(I'd consider the same offset all round, although it would probably mean spacers on the rear to fill the arches out. It wouldn't be the end of the world, and it's certainly an alternative option, but no harm in having the above knowledge at my disposal as well to help me make an informed decision).
MelZ: Black Sapphire Z4C