Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear Rims Issue?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
AlexP

Rear Rims Issue?

Post by AlexP » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:00 am

Hi all,

New Tyres were fitted onto my e85 Z4 on saturday (27/2), the same ones i initially put on my car about 3 years ago (Riken UHP non-runflats).

Front: 225/40 ZR18 92Y
Rear: 255/35 ZR18 94W

On the sunday morning I found both rear tyres flat. So i pumped the tyres back up and took the car back to the garage.
He claimed the rims are bent so they were losing air. He ended up putting glue on the tyres to stick to the rims as a temporary fix and said "it should be okay".

The rears however feel like they wobble especially in higher speeds and the ride has become uncomfortable and concerning.
Has anyone else had a similar issue? Most likely will take the car to someone else to get a second opinion.

Rucky

Rear Rims Issue?

Post by Rucky » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:20 am

Rim sealant is sometimes used on old or corroded rims to ensure the tyre bead is sealed during fitting.
You dont say who fitted or balanced the tyres / wheels? A reputable tyre shop will redo it if you show them the wobble in a drive.
A bent rim is visible on the balance machine - the original tyre fitter should be able to carry out another check balance and show you if/where the rim was/is bent and that it was correctly balanced
Sounds like either the tyre is incorrectly mounted or balanced or both.
04 2.5i Titan silver - 1st Z4 now sold on
07 3.0si Silver Grey M Sport pak.
X5 and assorted motorbikes

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Rims Issue?

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:39 pm

When you took it back and he sealed the tyres, did he take off the old weights and rebalance it again? Or just leave as is?
Maybe the sealing and the consequent wobble are two unrelated issues.
Did you notice the wobble on the way home before they went flat?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: