Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Warning Light

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Melman

Warning Light

Post by Melman » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:31 am

I’ve just collected the car after a full wheel refurb. They have done a fantastic job but, a mile down the road, the tyre pressure warning came on. Stopped for air and got all wheels to the right PSI.

However despite multiple resets of the sensor using the button in the centre console, it keeps coming back on. I hold the button down, the light turns amber but then goes back to red. Any thoughts? I’ve a long road trip on Friday and would rather not be worrying about tyre pressures....

E85 3.0i SE Sterling Grey
Mercedes E-Class E220 Silver
BMW X3 White

brillomaster

Warning Light

Post by brillomaster » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:00 pm

i dont think you're resetting it quite right... i think you press it once to go to amber, then press and hold for a good 15-20 seconds until the light goes out, then its reset.

i also think it resets better if the ignition is on, but the engine is not running (though i do think i managed to reset it while moving once - but its not recommended as it involves taking a hand off the steering wheel for a long time!)

Melman

Warning Light

Post by Melman » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:37 pm

Thanks, I’ll go and give that a go in a moment.

I’m trying to avoid hi-speed resets...it tends to stress the other half! :D

BMW X3 White

Melman

Warning Light

Post by Melman » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:41 pm

brillomaster wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:00 pm i dont think you're resetting it quite right... i think you press it once to go to amber, then press and hold for a good 15-20 seconds until the light goes out, then its reset.

i also think it resets better if the ignition is on, but the engine is not running (though i do think i managed to reset it while moving once - but its not recommended as it involves taking a hand off the steering wheel for a long time!)
Annoyingly it goes amber but then, if I keep holding for 15 seconds or so beeps and goes red. How concerned should I be?

BMW X3 White

Melman

Warning Light

Post by Melman » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:51 am

Problem solved. For anyone else reading this, you press the centre console button, with the engine running, until it turns amber and then release. A short drive away and it should then reset/clear.

Thank-you to all for the advice.

BMW X3 White